Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The NFL combine shows one area where Georgia football is still lacking

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited March 2020 in Article commenting

imageThe NFL combine shows one area where Georgia football is still lacking

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football needs to do a better job of developing defensive linemen By now you know that Georgia was very

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is something I have noticed for years, not just the Kirby years. Why do (seemingly) all the top flight Georgia high school DL prospects choose not to attend UGA? I simply do not understand why we have had this ongoing problem with that position group.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah this position always puzzles me. Like in the LSU game. Trying to push the lineman back the whole game. I mean yeah travon Walker tried to get out and get burrow, but zilch from any other DL. Where's any kind of technique being taught. I know tray scott is a good recruiter, better question, is he the right coach?

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 141 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agreed...needs addressing.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Defensive line talent and depth was an issue when Richt was replaced by Smart. It was the one position that took a few years to improve through better recruiting. DL coach Tray Scott has been doing a much better job of signing the right players for those positions.

It's almost impossible to win the National Championship when you don't have an elite D-line, and that's a big reason why Ga has come up just short. Scott has done a good job with fixing that deficiency.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree. Clemson's D-line is what won the game for them 2-yrs ago. UGA has to get better on the D-line if they want to consistently compete with the top teams in CFB.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

We’ve never really recovered from Rodney Garner leaving for Auburn. Stroud, Seymour, Charles Johnson, Geno Atkins, the tradition WAS there. Doesn’t take long for today’s kids to forget.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is surprising that we haven't seemed to land big time D line recruits as much as we have everywhere else. But Kirby did replace our D line coach by his own choice didn't he? How long has our current D line coach been in place? It feels like 2 full seasons. So maybe we will start to see the fruit from that change ripen. Or maybe he will make another change there.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Development has nothing to do with our lack of D-line representation at the combine. Rather, it has everything to do with not getting NFL caliber linemen to play for us. I have been saying it for three years-our recruiting on the D line has not been on par to EVERY other position. Trey Scott has done better of late but no one will accuse him of being an elite recruiter. It is my opinion that Scott is the opposite of Pittman, whereas, Pitman was an amazing recruiter but average coach. Scott has done a very good job getting the most out of each player he has coached.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think UGA is slowly building the D-line. Scott will get it done as he reads these stories I am sure..or hears the same message elsewhere...hopefully from head coach Smart who should know and care. When the NFL rebuffs you, you have a problem. Clemson and Ohio State did well in this area. UGA...still not there as far as the pros are concerned. Players know this and look elsewhere...although,the D-line has been doing pretty well in my estimation. Personally, I am a little puzzled at the rebuff by the pros. DL's Walker and Carter could help rectify this problem.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There is nothing wrong with UGA dline. They didn't lose anyone who will be missed. The guys we have are young and will get drafted when their turn is up. Stop nitpicking

• Options
    WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

DLine has not been the problem the last couple of years. Anyone remember how many DLine players were drafted in 1980? ZERO, yet the Dawgs still won the championship. Plenty of other schools consisitently have DLine players in the combine however their schools haven't and probably won't ever play for a National Championship. CKS & CTS are doing the rght things with the DLine. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    HuckleberryHuckleberry Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The fact that we are recruiting on a national basis may help this problem. There are always some good players in our state but being able to reach out to players that are elite all over the country will help. We have done that with running backs in the past. We just need to get a couple of players from our defensive line drafted in the first round. Walker is going to be one to watch and J. Davis will be a high draft choice if he keeps his weight down and continues to work. J. Carter has really impressed folks at the high school all-star games. He has a bright future ahead of him. We came very close with B. Bresee, that signed with Clemson this year. He was the top player in the country. Just keep working and the results will come.