Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why the running back position is the most intriguing for Georgia football spring practice

SystemSystem Posts: 10,425 admin
edited March 2020 in Article commenting

imageWhy the running back position is the most intriguing for Georgia football spring practice

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Why the running back position is one worth watching this spring For the first time since the 2015 season — Mark

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm ready to see what McIntosh can do after a full year of s&c. I'll think he'll be the biggest surprise. And ready to see what can be done with cook. I hate that he hasn't gotten more touches. Amazing speed and elusiveness. I'm just shocked he's stuck around this long. If cook can be used properly, it wouldn't shock me if he's not in the running for RB1.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unrelated to the article but I sure wish Crean would ditch the blue/ purple suit, or whatever color it is, and go to black. He either has only one suit or a bunch of the same. Sure it’s the latter! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now after several years of stellar recruiting, Georgia is essentially loaded at every position... not quite, but almost an embarrassment of riches. Certainly top 4 in talent, at least on paper. Even an unfortunate injury or two shouldn't cause a significant drop-off in talent (except kicker). If they are coached up in the spring, then again during and between practices over the season to really tap their full potential, they should absolutely be in the natty convo at the end. Gotta be coached, and gotta play the game. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well...When one of your top running backs has the nickname of "Little"...I think that is cause for concern.....The running game will only be successful it Milton is able to step up and immediately start running over people

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think both positions (QB & RB) will be intriguing to watch unfold.

I don't believe UGA had a starting QB to return for 2016... Wasn't that Eason's first year?

• Options
    diesel_7diesel_7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA's short on DL's. This is one of the strongest points on NC teams.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I love that clip of Zeus blasting through the Baylor defender en route to the end zone. Can't wait to see more of him next year! My biggest hope is that all our backs get touches that allow them to shine. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

With White gaining another offseason of confidence in his knee I just don't see this being much a competition

White will get the bulk of work including the tough yard runs the way Chubb use to …… Cook will be the 3rd down back and the first guy up to rest White …… Mcintosh and Milton will fill the rolls that Swift and Herrien use to fill

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree that could be the biggest question mark; but most teams (outside of the top 3) would be happy to have our DL situation, and every team envies our D overall. Accelerate the development of the young studs. Do more with our edge guys. Get more creative with our explosive backers. Convert an OL road grader. There's enough talent across the board to be stout at the point of attack. Yes, recruit harder at DL, but no more excuses with a team this loaded.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can uga win a national championship using 3 or 4 different RBs? I've never seen it done that way before. Bama won 5 NCs using practically 2 running backs as you can see below.

2009 Mark Ingram 1658 yards (20 TDs) and Trent Richardson 751 yards (8 TDs)

2011 Trent Richardson 1679 (24 TDs) and Eddie Lacy 674 yards (7 TDs)

2012 Eddie Lacy 1322 yards (19 TDs) and T.J. Yeldon 1108 yards (13 TDs)

2015 Derrick Henry 2219 yards (28 TDs) and Kenyan Drake 400 yards (2 TDs)

2017 Damien Harris 1000 yards (11 TDs) and Bo Scarbrough 596 yards (8 TDs) (Jalen Hurts 800 yards 8 TDs).

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I gotta go with UGA plow boy Zeus and quick feet Cook. Cook, is a lot like Swift was off the line and corkscrewing through the secondary. That gets you 4 to 5 yds and quite often more per touch. Swift mastered it...Cook will also. Cook is good at off tackle runs, wide sweeps and end runs. Zeus is my plow boy. Look at the Baylor tape a few times. I can just hear their secondary muttering....what?! How did this guy get back here and he's in the house?!! Zamir is a crack back. He explodes into the secondary littering the field with defenders. I believe Milton will be much like Zamir (Zeus). Daijun Edwards is another explosve back....he's coming in late but watch this guy run!!! Kenny McIntosh as was mentioned....is a blend of "physical and speed." Great combo for 3rd downs and short yardage. All of this is IMO. Will have to wait and see how they develop! Can they catch passes? That is the coaches job to develop. Make no mistake...UGA is fraught with elite RB talent!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cook is talented but IMO he's easy to tackle once you get to him. Getting to him is another thing. I'm another guy high on Mcintosh(got some shake and bake and enough speed and determination). No one runs with more purpose and fury than Zeus, it's just a matter of can he fully recover who he was before all the injuries. If so, watch out. Milton could turn into a beast with his size and speed. Edwards, I watched tape on him and he apparently gets the job done but nothing really made my jaw drop, just a good all-purpose player. He sort of had crazy feet at times making cuts it seemed like he was running on ice at times.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Edwards is a "hard" runner. Determined. UGA needs this all-purpose type back. Cook will emerge,believe me. You have to get to him before you can tackle him. I referred to him as "happy feet" once. He runs like Swift with that incredible balance and phenomenal torque. I agree on Zeus, he needs to be and stay healthy to be effective..pretty much like the Baylor tilt. I agree on Milton...he could become a Chubb-like "beast." Big boy with speed. All these RBs need time on the field of battle. Smart will see to it.

• Options
    rhclaghornrhclaghorn Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Cook and White were both 5 star recruits who haven't lit the world on fire to this point, but set up nicely for success in the upcoming season. As long as Zeus is healthy, he's gonna be the bellcow back. With Cook it's a question of whether Monken will get more creative about finding ways to get him the ball in space. I hear Monken likes to employ two-back sets which will keep defenses on their toes on whether they are going to get hit with thunder or lightning. Improvements in the passing game should also open things up for all the backs.