Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why a more intense Georgia football-Florida rivalry might be good for Bulldogs

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited March 2020 in Article commenting

imageWhy a more intense Georgia football-Florida rivalry might be good for Bulldogs

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Why the Georgia football-Florida rivalry intensifying might be good for Bulldogs It's safe to that at this point

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"It’s part of what makes Mullen’s tactics so brilliant. No one is measuring you to national title expectations if you spend so much time talking about beating Georgia." True to a point...

But now much of the media has Mullen and Florida even with Smart and Georgia. Many of those same talking heads have also branded Mullen "as better" than Smart, despite Smart being 3-0 over Mullen.

Mullen's talk is both good and could be bad for Florida and his program. Now that Mullen has "closed the gap" and has a more favorable schedule what will the narrative be if Georgia wins again? I think Florida also has some pressure to win in Jacksonville and if it doesn't get that done this year Mullen will start hearing more doubt's.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I believe florida fans are grasping too much into Mullen. Yes, he was on the meyer's staff the last go round with their last national championship, but he needs to produce on the field, not the offseason. He's a great salesman, but not following thru with the warranty. And glad to see someone had to sit out for a year. Guess they don't do drug tests in Florida. Guess ol meyer couldn't swing 2 big transfers for his teams.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mullen is a giant tool. Deep down, Gator fans have to be ashamed.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Georgia went 12-2, beat its three biggest rivals and won the Sugar Bowl, are considered a failure or at the very lest a disappointment."

B.S.! By no means was last year considered a failure. A disappointment for sure but absolutely not a failure. Especially if you factor in the WRs was decimated by injuries plus Holloman was kicked of the team and everyone seems to forget the O-Line fought quite a few injuries throughout the season as while.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't really get wrapped up in what is being said......Of course Mullen (Even Kirby for that matter) is going to say that their teams are the best...it's what coaches do...The real difference here will be if Georgia/Florida, both, neither will have players step up and play championship caliber football.....I also believe coaching is a factor....I do think that Mullen is over rated......and.......I'm concerned, after last season, that Kirby needs to step up too

• Options
    MinterDawgMinterDawg Posts: 11 ✭✭ Sophomore

The Florida Gators are like the Corona Virus. A year from now, we will look back and see it was all hype and no substance...

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's face it UGA leaned heavily on the run game, it had to. Outside of Cager, and Pickens who did Jake have that scared any team? When Cager gets hurt Jake ended up having to throw to Simmons. Demetrius has to step his game up and live up to the 5 star he was in high school. Seems like there was a couple of messy games where Jake couldn't grip the ball that hurt the passing numbers. But 50th in scoring avg wasn't going to cut it. Hence the move to Monken.

A new group of hungry talented receivers and a mobile QB who throws a beautiful deep ball and an improved strategy should put us in the top 20 in scoring, if not higher. The defense is going to roll and that means shorter fields and increased opportunities for the offense. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Again, I don’t agree with you Connor. I can’t possibly understand how you can use the term failure in any comments concerning this program under Kirby. Save that for when you are writing about the last coach at Georgia. You give Mullen too much credit for being clever. If Mullen loses to Georgia again this year, his seat is going to be hotter than just about any coaches seat in the nation. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby is fighting for his alma mater and state just as hard as Steve Spurrier fought for his alma mater and state so Dan Mullen or whoever is the head coach @fla will have their work cut out for them when Kirby comes to town.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2020

Conner, much love to you brother; but, would you please take a few minutes to proofread your articles. (Rhetorical Question, punctuation with a question mark is not appropriate here). All joking aside, this is the most poorly written article I have ever read on Dawgnation. Nonetheless, thank you very much for writing about our beloved Dawgs.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fellas, it's all hype til game day.....then and only then will the truth be known! I see the Dawgs dominating Mullen's mullets for the fourth consecutive time. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't understand why Mullen gets so much credit as a Coach. He did a good job at Miss State but the bar was very low. He's at Florida with everything necessary to win and each year he has lost the most important game on his schedule and more than likely, he will again this year. Our offense has not been Florida's problem over the last two years. Our defense has and it may be better this year than last. I just don't get the Mullen hype.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the only reason Mullen is not under pressure to win a National Championship yet is BECAUSE of the fact that he has yet to beat Georgia. If the Gators had beaten us 3 years in a row, then he would be facing the same pressure as Kirby because winning the Florida-Georgia game would be a given. People keep trying to create some sort of fake hype around that game. Even though we have a new QB and a new OC, barring several injuries or suspensions, we'll still have more talent on the field than Florida. I don't know who's going to win -- that's why they actually play it. But I think we are the better team, I think Kirby is the better coach and Georgia is the better school. I'm sure in Gainesville, they think just the opposite. But until Mullen proves he can beat UGA (which is likely necessary for Florida to get to the playoffs) the pressure will be on him to win that game. Kirby isn't facing that pressure because he has ALREADY done that. The pressure is now on him to do something that he hasn't done -- win a National Championship!.

P.S. Last season was not a failure. It was a disappointment, which the writer clearly stated as such. Go Dawgs!