Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Vince Dooley: Spring scrimmages with other teams could have new importance

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited April 2020 in Article commenting

imageVince Dooley: Spring scrimmages with other teams could have new importance

College teams could opt for spring football scrimmages against other programs to help generate lost revenue and support their local communities

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I could see this being a great idea for revenue. The only part I'm not sold on is the 2 game weekend. That's alot of travel. Especially if you're playing something like sc vs a&m. Uga vs bama, fl vs bama, ut vs auburn, games like those could easily be done. But if this idea had gained traction before sec expansion with a&m and Missouri, it would make a lot more sense.

Side note: if this were to pick up momentum, they should really start thinking about the bama/aub to the sec east again. And move mizzou to the west. Makes much sense geographically. Moving auburn to the east would give uga more chances to play west teams besides only flip flopping one team every season.

• Options
    bhdawgbhdawg Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

I supported this then and would support it now. What a crowd it would draw.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Vince is a smart guy. I am of his early vintage. He wanted to scrimmage other teams back in the 80s. Good idea....especially now.....revenue stream....fan builder. I agree, play those outside the conference. Let's wait and see what Greg Sankey has to say.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Seems like a great opportunity for significant injuries in a meaningless scrimmage. NFL teams do this and huge brawls break out because non-contact rules are violated. No thanks, I’ll pass.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Playing football games this fall without fans in attendance will be the death nail for many smaller programs Athletic teams for years to come... NAIA, Div 111, 11 and Mid Tier programs.

With that said...This whole issue will be the death nail for almost the entire country if we are playing to empty stadiums... it will be every business in America...People won't be giving one dam about football, we will be in in a depression the likes only God could save us from.