Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football Dad Chris Milton remains ‘unshaken’ in fight for equality

SystemSystem Posts: 10,477 admin
edited June 2020 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football Dad Chris Milton remains ‘unshaken’ in fight for equality

Chris Milton, the father of Georgia football freshman Kendall Milton, shares his perspective on the racial climate in America. Despite some trying moments of late, he sees hope for the future of our country.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2020

"... he’s part of that demographic that is really being targeted."

What in the hell does that mean? 18 year old black young men are being "targeted?" For what? By whom?

• Options
    DocckDocck Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

Kudos to you Chris for your community leadership and concern for your son. Kendall should stand by his beliefs and not be intimidated by anyone. All Georgia families and players deserve the respect from all fans whether or not you agree with them. I expect and hope to see many players exert their right to take a knee in show of protest during the football season.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

"If you have to ask, then you haven't been paying attention."

That's not an answer.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have no idea of what the racial climate is like in California, Chicago or Minneapolis. But it must be light years worse than Athens Ga, or the rest of the state of Georgia for that matter. There will always be those who look for a reason to divide one race from another but I don't see much of that where I live in Ga or when I visit Athens Ga.

As far as players taking a knee in Sanford stadium. I have no problem with it, just as long as it was done in a respectful way. What do I mean by 'in a respectful way'?

For some, I guess maybe it's somewhat different on the West coast, or maybe up North, but the South has a long history of sending it's son's and daughter's into the military. It partly has to do with economics, and also history.

Looking at Representation ratio, South Carolina comes in at No.1 for sending the most people into the military. Florida No.4, Georgia No.5, Texas No.7, Alabama No.8. North Carolina No, 10.

My point is this. Take a stand on anything you believe in strongly enough, but don't do it in such a way that it comes across as disreputable to any other group of people. Of all groups I feel that we as a society should never show disrespect to our military, or our country, or our flag.

I quit watching the NFL when they started taking a knee. Not because they took a knee. Not because of the reason why. Not because of the color of skin. I quit watching the NFL because of when they took a knee.

I say take a knee for what you believe in. Do it in Sanford Stadium. Do it in a respectful way and I have no doubt you will get a great and overwhelmingly positive response from the Georgia fans. But also stand tall and proud in support of your country and for the values it was founded on.

Last but never least. Stand tall in respect for the flag and in memory of all those who gave the greatest sacrifice in their service of our great nation. God bless.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah the more and more I see, the less I actually realize. The south is light years ahead of the rest of the country in equality. Yeah there's still those people that should be booted from this area for going around thinking their race is better than the next. But I've read so many articles lately on people in the north, which I've known for years since I had a boss who was from New York that was extremely racist, and now hearing more of it from the west. It shows that racism/prejudice spread like kudzu, you can try to cut it off, but it grows back more and more, and is terrible to get rid of. I feel for everyone that has had to deal with it. It's a terrible terrible thing and we need to figure out a way to squash it once and for all. Well that's just my 2 cents and GO DAWGS!

• Options
    vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

We are very lucky to have the entire Milton family as a part of the Georgia community.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

God bless the whole Milton family. Maybe one day we can all live in peace and be more understanding of those that don't look like us. So, we need the BIG CONVERSATION NOW. Enough of looking the other way, all people are our brothers and sisters. If we don't start talking with one another, instead of yelling at one another, then this madness of the last two weeks will just keep going on and on. Seattle, Washington is an example of what this country could become in a short time. There is no place for racism or bigotry in America, and that goes for all, no matter your skin color.

I have served in time of combat, I know what PTSD may mean., and it's a shame that anyone that notices a blue light in their rear view mirror would think they may have it. On the other hand ask a policeman if he thinks he may have it, because of the STUFF he has encountered almost every day. One other thing if you think your wallet may be mistaken for a gun, I would suggest getting a new wallet.

• Options
    UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you’re genuinely looking for an answer, Mr. Milton’s twitter handle is in the article. No better source than the man himself. That is, unless you aren’t really looking for an answer because you have your mind already made up...