Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia quarterback JT Daniels granted immediate eligibility

SystemSystem Posts: 10,486 admin
edited July 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia quarterback JT Daniels granted immediate eligibility

Georgia football quarterback JT Daniels broke the news on Twitter that he has been granted eligibility for the upcoming season with the Bulldogs

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The QB depth chart in in Athens GA just got deeper. GOOOODAWGS!

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Beck will probably transfer now.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe Beck will stay, and prove he is the best of the options at QB, but in this day and time, who knows?

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lots of competition at the QB position. I'm just not sure how the snaps will be divided up once practice starts.

Go Dogs!

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The more talent at any position, the more competition will increase. Anyone who doesn't want to compete doesn't need to stay around. I do recall several years ago that the third string qb helped ohio state win the NC.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remember guys, 5-star QB Brock Vandagriff is coming aboard in 2021,,at least he has committed to. So if someone leaves this season...so be it. Good to have Daniels eligible as he has 3 years...Newman...one. I can see either Beck and /or Bennett heading for the transfer portal. Vandagriff could really be stiff competition for Daniels next season....D'Wan as well.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope Beck doesn't transfer because JT Daniel's 2018 stats leave much to be desired. After he got injured his backup(freshman) came in and lit it up and he's only a 3 star. Whoever wins the job I hope it's earned not given.  

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Obviously, I'm no Kirby Smart and he seems to be able to get whatever QBs he wants, but I'm not sure I agree with this throw-everything-and-see-what-lands. There is a difference between having a solid backup QB and having an audition with several QBs that could feasibly be a starter. The other programs essentially come as close as they can to saying "you are the expected starter, but still have to compete".

It's got to be incredibly frustrating to be a QB and see transfers coming in. Beck went from thinking he had a real chance to start to seeing now 2 transfers ahead of him. How is Vandergriff going to feel (yes, I know what his parents said, but everybody says "competition is good")? What about Mathis?

I just think that a QB position can't be treated like every other position. You NEED to have 2-3 RBs, plenty of O and D linesmen and given our previous years, being overloaded with WRs would make a lot of sense... but not QBs. You need to find "your guy" and then your "next guy" and then a very quality backup. You need to keep competition up, but the QBs need to feel like they have been given a chance. I'm sorry, but there's no way that you could accurate figure out how Mathis vs Beck vs Daniels vs Newman would be long term in the program and so you may lose the one you wanted to keep (ie: Fields and Eason).

I dunno, it just doesn't make sense to me. Newman was like the 4th best odds for the Heisman and then it's like: hey, lets go get another transfer... Has Daniels even had time to practice here???

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

I thin JT just wants to get his time in and go pro as quickly as possible. He won't be here for another 3 years. Probably 1 and done.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, but do the QBs really think that they are getting their "fair shake"? These guys have all have aspirations to play in the NFL and this is pretty much your one shot to do it. Both Eason and Fields saw that they weren't going to play, so they both wound up pretty much as guaranteed starters at Washington and Ohio State. Can we even figure out who is best is here?

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2020

Cant win em all. Cks you've been here before a chose cerebral and got Cmr results.. GO WITH JAMIE then wait on Brock!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Welcome aboard! Let the games begin! Newman and Daniels will keep each other sharp, and Mathis and Beck will battle for PT. Gone are the days where we had a set in stone Qb hierarchy, I like the fact that Kirby is forcing competition at every position.

• Options
    sutherngasuthernga Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

Here again, Kirby hasn't learned from 3 years ago with Justin and Jacob. Why he continues to bring these quarterbacks in to have them up leave, when they are not announced the starters? I just don't get his logic. Competition is good for other positions on the field, but not a quarterback. There is only 1 quarterback unlike at linebackers, lineman, etc where you can build depth and you can interchange them. It just blows my mind.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good thing some yall doubters aren't coaches. I saw one guy basically say you need to kiss up to the qb. Whoever UGA coaches feel is the best will play the rest can fall in line stay ready and learn. No one wanted to see Bennett possibly starting in more than 1 gm if needed. Now we have real D1 talent and then some.