Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

kids in schools VS fans in the stands

dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited July 2020 in Off Topic

If kids can go back to school without masks on and no social distancing, then why can't fans attend games with masks on socially distanced and have their temperature checked at the gate?

I get the importance of kids needing to go back to school, but it just seems like the kids are gonna inevitably carry the virus right back to their households and completely reverse any progress made by a collective movement to wear a mask, and effectively ending any hopes of a football season, or any kind of sports season what-so-ever.

Comments

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The lines to get in the stadiums with temps being checked are going to be crazy long.

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

have you ever stood in a line where you had to go through a metal detector to get into a game?

The temp check takes like 2-3 seconds.

And it would be 50% capacity vs 100% capacity

I really don't think that would be an issue, and it certainly wouldn't keep me from going to the game.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hope you’re right.

• ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well it took me 2 and half hours to get through security for the national championship game, and that was with people that have others walk through metal detectors for them every time they work. The FBI padded down every person that came into Mercedes Benz that day.

In Sanford, they only scan tickets. I would imagine asking them to do temp checks would add a significant wait to get in, plus they would need to make sure people are 6ft apart while waiting in line. Adding another job they are not use to, crowd control.

The instant touch thermometers are notoriously inaccurate, and what is going to happen when someone who paid several hundred dollars to go to Georgia Bama or Georgia Florida, and cannot get into the game?

As far as schools go, I realize every school system probably has different plans in place, but in Walton County they are doing social distancing, highly encouraging students to wear mask (teachers are required), requiring students to carry hand sanitizer with them, and if anyone in that classroom has COVID the entire class has to stay home for 2 weeks and virtual learn.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do not know what most school systems are going to do but to put some real numbers on the risks for different age groups. From Georgia Department of Public Health Daily Status Report as of yesterday 7-26. COVID-19 is a disease of the elderly. At 78 by the time football season starts I would not attend any class room or larger gathering. But then I would not want to be sitting out in the September sun in Georgia for hours.

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So what do the parents do? Quarantine as well with their kids? Who covers the bills while they can’t work?

I was at the Natty as well, and yes that was ridiculous, but that’s thanks to the president who didn’t even stay for the whole game, just couldn’t pass up a chance to catch some air time.

as far as tickets go, I’d imagine you outline the policy up front so there is no surprise when they get turned away at the gate. You the fan assume the liability when you pay the ridiculous price. Don’t buy a ticket if you can’t cope with the idea that you might get turned away.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

Teachers do not want a traditional type year at least here......from WLOX

• Stingray2112Stingray2112 Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

I guarantee you that the school boards making the decision to bring students and teachers back are having these discussion at a Zoom meeting because they are scared of the virus. They don't mind putting them in danger but they will protect themselves.

Bring students back like nothing is wrong and just watch what happens. Schools will be closed again by the end of the month.

As far as football is concerned, I hope there is a season but I doubt very seriously it will be interrupted. Look what happened to the Marlins.