Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia leadership approves Florida game staying in Jacksonville despite pandemic

SystemSystem Posts: 10,496 admin
edited July 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia leadership approves Florida game staying in Jacksonville despite pandemic

ATHENS — Georgia and Florida athletic directors have indicated the schools’ annual rivalry game will remain in Jacksonville this season amid the COVID-19 pandemic. UGA athletic director Greg McGarity told DawgNation on Thursday that plans are for Kirby Smart and his Bulldogs to make the 339-mile trip to Jacksonville

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Money talks! Jacksonville is going to be on the hook to pay the teams no matter how many fans make the trek this year.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I'm sure it's financially related. I guess there isn't a clear answer as to what the "safest" place to do it would be, so I guess that's fine.

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well there is nothing better than beating those lousy Stinkin’ Gators, right there in their own backyard. So let’s keep it there.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Of course McGarity wants to keep it in Florida, he did come from there. Anything to help his old athletic department out. If we had anybody else as ad during this, we'd be playing at home or at least in Gainesville. Like stated below, too many finances involved.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This smells of greased palms. Greased I say.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2020

Screw the gaters!

• Options
    CaptainchipCaptainchip Posts: 13 ✭✭ Sophomore

It is time for athletic leadership that will do what is best for UGA. We should play the game at home this year. There will be no tailgating, the landing is gone, and they are talking about limited seating in oro stadiums. I am calling tomorrow and cancelling my usual tickets for the yearly florida home game.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just wear the **** masks already people .we should be in control of this virus by now. But nah sm of yall refuse to wear one in public. America is a joke to the world bc of the leadership and its going to keep us from having fall sports probably

• Options
    SOARDAWGSOARDAWG Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

I'm utterly shocked that McGarity would agree to stick it to Georgia yet again for his homeboys, NOT! The Georgia-Florida game has only been neutral 2 times since 1933, once at the swamp lizards hole in 1994 and in Athens in 1995, and only an absolute moron thinks Jacksonville is a neutral site. While I certainly agree that it's always immensely gratifying to feast on swamp lizard tail in their own back yard, not have it as a home game every other year hurts our recruiting ability. Two things Georgia alumni and fans ought to have figured out by now, McGarity will always screw the Dawgs for his homeboys and should never have be Athletic Director, and the Georgia-Florida game never should have always been played just like every other SEC game. The money the Gold Coast makes off of the game being played in Jacksonville puts more dollars in Florida businesses than it does for Georgia businesses, so that dawg just don't hunt. It is time, no, it's past time for Georgia alumni and fans to tell UGA to start playing Florida just like we do every other SEC team and to get rid of McGarity, he's screw UGA enough!

• Options
    SOARDAWGSOARDAWG Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

That was supposed to be screwed, but since he's doing right now, screw works just as well.

• Options
    bnadawgbnadawg Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

As an attendee of the UGA/FL game for many years in a row I always look forward to the game and spending time before the game on St. Simons, Jekyll, or Amelia islands. This year I am not going to the game or the beach. It will not be the same game atmosphere with limited seating expected. In addition, I have viewed the St. Simons web cams many times this summer. I have yet to see anyone wearing a mask or social distancing. So with increased Covid risk at the beach that week, no tailgating at the stadium, and limited attendance this seems to be the perfect year for the game to be held in Athens. Next year just return to Jacksonville if things improve or even go to Gainesville, if necessary. This is our year to win the NCG and we should take that advantage as the home team.