Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Debating CBS sports claim of Georgia football 'most overrated in the SEC'

SystemSystem Posts: 11,097 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageDebating CBS sports claim of Georgia football 'most overrated in the SEC'

Georgia football had the top scoring defense in the nation last season, but one CBS sports analyst was not convinced the Bulldogs can be consistent enough to offset a reloaded offense this season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Cue the outrage. Just prove it on the field and everything will take care of itself.

• SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

This sort of position is usually where the Dawgs play their best football. We’ve got them right where we want them.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

I agree with the commenters below. None of these opinions will matter in December. Having said that, I appreciate the point-by-point rebuttal. I remember BA had Sallee on his podcast a while back, and the entire interview was one long string of faulty, easily dismantled arguments that went largely if not entirely unchecked.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia enters the season at essentially the same ranking that they ended with last year. The Dawgs will field a defense that could very well be better, and an offense that one has to think couldn't possibly be worse, than what we saw last year. Not sure how this all adds up to being overrated.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, Georgia will never get the respect because we haven't claimed the title yet... but we will.

I DO think that teams that have large returning numbers and the same coaches will have an advantage because of the shortened season. Is it enough to matter? Sometimes it will. I suspect penalties will be all over the place as will missed assignments especially in the early games.

It's pretty foolish to discount the QB at position. Smart has proven that he will play who wins the job and while he hasn't shown the willingness of a Saban to put in an unproven QB at halftime, he certainly might. If you believe that Newman isn't up to the hype, you have a previous 5 star with JT, basically red-shirt-freshman 4 star Mathis and a 4 star Beck. I suspect there is a bit of talent there and they have (2) 5 star and (9) 4 star receivers to target (plus another 5 star and 2 4-star TEs).

Am I going to say that we are a solid 4th best in the country? Not yet. Smart isn't thrilled with the recent practices and no one has seen any Spring Games or anything like that. We have a tough schedule early on and it's possible that even if we find our groove halfway in, a couple of early losses could knock us out of the playoffs.

UT is going to have the toughest time keeping in the Top 25 with their schedule: they are underdogs/even with 7 of their games.

• DawgDaddyDawgDaddy Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore

Much ado about nothing, evidently he has some type of bias against UGA this year and it is showing. Personally I think the gators are easily the most overrated but we will see soon.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good "defense" Mike. Also, I just read that two more LSU players are publicly considering opting out of the 2020 season, returning in 2021. I guess that would move them down to 4 returning starters...if they were starters. I agree, LSU is the most over-rated team, followed closely by Florida.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Show me the top 1-2 team in the SEC from the previous year, who lost more talent than any other SEC team and if it's not Alabama that will likely be the most overrated to start the season. That's LSU.

Georgia lost talent too, but it was at positions where they've been recruiting as well as any team. O-line will be just fine. QB production will be as good to start the season, and very likely better after the first 3-4 games.

QB- Receiver timing won't be crisp out of the gate but even with the loss of Blaylock there is more receiver talent and depth...

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's a barn grad. That sums up all of it. Much like everyone listening to the trash that comes out of Meyer's mouth. So while he does have legitimate points, his bias is clouding his judgment.

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

I think all his points are valid. Do you think this defense was good enough to hold Bama, OSU or Clemson under 21 points? Because that's what it would've taken to win a title last year. They "held" the vaunted South Carolina offense to 20 points and still lost the game so it's not like there weren't slip ups along the way last year.

This defense was good enough to be a title winning unit but I don't know that it was good enough to carry a team to a title which are two separate things. If the quarterback is anywhere near as bad as he was last season we're going to end this one on the outside looking in, again.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not going to fault him. I too am concerned about a new offense without a spring practice to help it out. I'm also with you guys on LSU. They won't place any higher than middle of the SEC west when it's all said and done. Those guys caught lighting in a bottle last year, and that lightning has moved on now.

• ATDATD Posts: 264 ✭✭✭ Junior

The wait is almost over and all of the talking will be done on the field, thank God. Go Dawgs!

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Of course Zamir wasn’t an “every down back”. Is that possibly because we had a guy named Swift on the team and we never needed Zeus to play a lot. Also, good points by DawgNation regarding Newman. True, he didn’t face SEC competition, but he played with very weak supporting offensive players and coaches.....yet he performed well. Now he is surrounded by great players and coaches. Good grief....this is what we should expect from Sallee.....who works for “fake news”. Go Dawgs and go Newman!!!

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He said offense and just enough defense wins championships. If that was the case Oklahoma would have a lot more championships. But I do think this offense will have to click very soon for us to have success. We have enough talent and play makers to do just that.

• maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2020

No matter what anyone says, I'm anxious to see what Todd Monken's offense will do with elite talent..