Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

'Shocking' Report: Georgia quarterback Jamie Newman to opt out for NFL draft

2»

Comments

• Options
    vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

I personally never saw him take a single snap or anything else in a Georgia uniform, so I don't really have anything to be disappointed about. I wish he would have made the decision earlier, but it is what it is. Best of luck to him and I hope he doesn't come to regret his decision. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's take it one day at a time. If Daniels has the kind of year you're talking about, that's a great thing in itself!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have always been taught and still am not a quitter. Newman was all hype when it came down to the soft throws per Murray. Monken has his air raid style and it looks as though Newman gave up to me when it did not fit his ACC style. Not being critical just honest. I backed Newman from day one. Wish him well and ask him to stick with it next time. He is not ready for the NFL. On to not cleared JT Daniels and the others. UGA may have a time readying the QB position now. Hope for the best. Sept. 26 is coming up fast.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I do think that character has a high value in this whole soap drama type thing. I question the reason why any athlete with Newman's "abilities" would quit on such a great opportunity. I suspect that there is a "Paul Harvey" moment that will come at a later time.

• Options
    georgiajeepn2019georgiajeepn2019 Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Calm down fellow Dawg fans. Kang Kirby works in mysterious but wonderful ways. Newman could not have possibly been happy when Kirby went after Daniels in the first place. Then further unhappier when Kirby would not name him the starter before the season starts. One speculation is Kirby told Newman we are going another way and allowed Newman to save face by opting out. He saves his current draft status and does not fall in the draft because he got beat out. Also how would you like to be fighting for a starting job and there sits Justin Fields in the bleachers watching over the scrimmage. Could Kirby possibly be that brilliant? But it may have just been as simple as he did not want to take a chance with the Covid which is the boring take on it all.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I am very disappointed in this news. I wish Jamie all the best, but this is a gut punch.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I watched plenty of film on Jamie and couldn’t get past his interception statistics. That won’t work under Kirby. Kirby is a defensive guy and Defensive minded coach insist that you have to protect the football on offense.

i think the media and many fans overhyped Newman. Personally, I’m not sure Beck isn’t better in the air raid offense than Newman. Jamie will be a middle of the road draft at best. If he had stayed and not been the starter, his stock would have drastically fallen. If he had stayed, was the starter and played well, his stock would have risen. But all the if and buts don’t matter now. I just hate he has used up the snaps that could have been more beneficial for other guys. I have no ill will towards him because at least he gave us a little time.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who knows the "real" story but methinks the one Newman is telling isn't it. I mean, it took him until 3 weeks before the season starts to decide he's worried about COVID. It's not like it just showed up a couple of days ago. And, so ironic that a kid with a legitimate chance to be the starter on a national championship contender would voluntarily opt out while kids in average teams in the Big 10 are SUING that conference for the opportunity to play. I think it's what others have said here, that he was probably starting to lose the competition with Daniels (who will certainly be cleared to play very soon) and opted to get out now while his draft stock is still fairly decent. Also explains a little bit more about why Mathis was getting those Red Zone reps, too. Looks like he may be playing more than initially thought. Perhaps, Beck, too. Newman was only going to be here for this truncated season anyway so we're just getting to the future faster. Let's get through this season and then next we get another 5-star QB on board and go from there. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Next Man Up!!!!

Go Dogs!!!!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is the season now over before it even begins?

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

A bit strange....I can see Newman maybe going as a third rounder...no higher....Now if he had played and done well...first or second round...but who really knows what is going on.....It could be something as far fetched as girlfriend troubles...or if could be that someone else is doing better...right now, If Daniels is healthy then he is in

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The Dawgs are in no worse position than any of us thought they would be after Fromm declared. In fact, they are better off with Daniel in the fold. That said, the timing of Newman’s decision is the troubling thing. He took valuable reps from the other quarterbacks. Not sure how he feels he will be better protected from C-19 than those remaining on the team.

• Options
    MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

Wow, this is unbelievable. Wonder what happened

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Justin Fields II, just my opinion....