Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What Jamie Newman's decision means for Georgia's 2020 national title hopes

SystemSystem Posts: 10,523 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageWhat Jamie Newman's decision means for Georgia's 2020 national title hopes

The Jamie Newman hype all offseason was always a bit befuddling. He'd been mentioned as Heisman Trophy favorite, a possible first-round pick and one of the main reasons Georgia was set to possibly contend for a national title. Now, he won't be playing a down for the Georgia Bulldogs, as the quarterback announced on

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That way too heavy front loaded schedule just got a little more intimidating.

I would feel much better if I knew J T Daniels was healthy enough.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sounds sorta like 1980, offense do enough not to lose games and depend on the Junk Yard Dawgs to make the big plays. I can still hear "Lindsey Scott, Lindsey Scott, Lindsey Scott". And who can forget "My God, he's just a freshman"?

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Are you kidding me? I guess I was wrong for the past six months...Newman will not be starting for UGA this year.

Apparently Newman believes the hype around his stock. It is also clear Newman spells team with an I.

The transfer of JT Daniels is looking better and better. Every coach in the nation would have 200 players on their team if they could. I will never doubt Smart again when it comes to overloading talent at one position.

Can this day get any worse?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Newman took an out and left...may just be he wasn't cutting it with the new Monken style offense? Maybe Fields said something? His agent may have played a part? In my book he is a quitter. He had one year....only one year...and he could have improved his stats...he is not NFL ready! Something happened and no one is talking....yet. JT Daniels is not ready either. None of the remaining QB crew is ready. Well, Mr. Smart...the game has changed and not for the better I have to say. Dave Pollack may be right...Bama -Clemson again. I know let the down votes fly! Monken wil have to be a miracle worker. It will likely be the defense again this season. There is always hope.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Makes sense when you think about. New offense, new OC, mostly new OL, top rusher gone, Blaylock out...and no spring practice to prepare and maybe lots of missed games by who is left due to Covid. If lots of talk of first round pick, then his stock can’t go up, only down.

• Options
    tBone80tBone80 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

I, too, was saddened by the news that our Dawgs would be without Newman. Nevertheless, the tone of this article sounds unduly critical of a man who is making a difficult decision! We should not be acting like teenage boys, bad-mouthing the girl who dumped us. Just because it hurts, we should not forget that there are actually more important things that our own entertainment.

• Options
    Topdawg2002Topdawg2002 Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

Here comes justin fields. Kinda ironic he at Athens watching practice this past weekend

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Next Man Up!!!!

Go Dogs!!!!

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That would be something if the NCAA granted Fields transfer back to UGA. I know it isn't happening, just saying it would be the ironic twist of the century.

• Options
    HowlnwoofHowlnwoof Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

I can't help but think this was probably a safe/smart decision on Newman's part. He has already been acclaimed a Heisman candidate by the media. Going through a 100% SEC schedule on top of learning a new system might just be too big a risk for a guy that is almost a sure bet to be a reasonably high draft choice, with no major injuries, in the NFL.

I would like to have seen what he could do with the Dawgs, but I can't blame him.