Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How Jamie Newman went from offseason Heisman Trophy candidate to opt out

SystemSystem Posts: 10,553 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageHow Jamie Newman went from offseason Heisman Trophy candidate to opt out

Wake Forest graduate transfer Jamie Newman decided to opt out three weeks before he was expected to take the field as the Georgia football starting quarterback

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    gafanlivinginalgafanlivinginal Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

I can't help but wonder if Blailock's injury was a factor in his decision.

• Options
    DawggolferDawggolfer Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe this is an opening for Justin Fields to come back......

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 420 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Other than a few sporadic years, UGA has always had continuity at the QB position. Losing a one and done guy who isn't invested isn't that big a deal no matter who it was. I'd rather see Carson Beck or Dwan Mathis grow into the position because both are clearly talented and both have put in the work and paid their dues. I applaud Kirby for bringing in JT -- if he's the guy, maybe we'll be able to get 2 years out of him. You definitely don't want to be starting a green QB against Clemson in the opener next year.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby might regard him as a Dawg but I surely don't!

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Next Man Up!!!!

Go Dogs!!!!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still applaud Kirby for taking the high road. And if he considers him a Dawg, even if he doesn't mean it, then so do I. As I said about Justin Fields, why cry about a guy who is NOT a part of your team.

This story, however, makes some good points. Another telling point, I thought, was when Monken said he was looking for an athletic QB, but he added that Daniels was "more athletic" than people think he is. When I read that, the thought briefly crossed my mind that he (Monken) was thinking that Daniels was going to be his QB but I dismissed it because we keep reading that Daniels isn't cleared to play. But I think most of us know that some time in the next week or so, that clearance is going to come. I don't doubt Newman knows this for sure and decided there was no benefit in him being second string, or even splitting time. He needs to play and play often. We'll see. Before Newman left, the writers kept saying that Daniels was going to have a big say in the QB battle anyway, so now it looks like that say will be bigger than we initially thought. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Probably not seeing the receiver corp that could pad his numbers. So he believes he can rely on his past numbers(body of work). He either saw the writing on the wall with young inexperienced receivers during the scrimmage or someone watching put a bug in his ear (avery)? Look at how Jake's numbers regressed and it cost him sliding down the draft board. Newman already figures to go in the 1st round.

I don't believe it was the QB competition thing, I think it was his job to lose, but it's something to do with the scrimmage. "This OLine could get me hurt, or the receivers(other than Pickens) are too inexperienced and need developing, or it's a Monken thing.

It's not about Covid.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 375 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It is so obvious why he quit. He realized he was losing ground and couldn't compete at the level in which he was accustomed at Wake. The defense he was against was really good, and they weren't an NFL defense, and he wasn't getting the results he fully expected.

COVID isn't new. It's not like this suddenly appeared.

So, rather than go a season where he possibly struggled or even lost his starting spot, he left. However, I fully believe his quitting really hurts his future. If I was an NFL draft analyst, I'd fully believe he didn't feel he was as good as he thought. Big numbers in the ACC do not equate anything in the SEC and certainly not the NFL. He said he came to UGA to face the best? Well, he did and he found that he was not as great as everyone told him he was.

And no, he is NOT a Dawg. He quit and I never want my Dawgs equated with that.

• Options
    SouthpawDawgSouthpawDawg Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

I think he can see the train wreck coming when the pandemic overtakes the SEC season

Seems Newman got enough of an education at Wake to be more knowledgeable on Covid risks than most of you are demonstrating

Billy 2131 "citing" the CDC in a post was a hoot, though

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My guess is he what he said about "uncertainty" really said it all. He starts the year and struggles in a new offense--then the season shuts down early. The WR's struggle under the new offense without the benefit of spring training and a few cupcake tuneups--makes Newman look bad. Or things are going OK but then we lose a couple of WR's and a running back to COVID quarantine. All of this makes the year of COVID uncertain and makes his chances at NFL more uncertain.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

COVID didn’t all of the sudden become the issue. I think Newman probably felt like he was automatically going to be the starter( as did many posting here along with DawgNation writers). However, Kirby is not going to gift nothing, it has to be earned. Monkens comment on JT the other day was telling, Kirby’s comment about the reps being stretched out between to many was telling. I bet Kirby and Todd gave Jamie a heads up on what was about to happen and allowed him to bounce on the fear of covid before they name a starter. Deciding this late in the competition that you are now so concerned about covid that you don’t want to risk playing this season smells a lot like BS!