Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jamie Newman official statement and only (introductory) interview as Georgia Bulldog

SystemSystem Posts: 10,689 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageJamie Newman official statement and only (introductory) interview as Georgia Bulldog

Georgia quarterback Jamie Newman official statement, and a look back at his only video interview as a member of the football team

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One more thing and then I'm done on the topic. First off, we have every reason to be mad because we aren't being told the whole truth.

But, I do indeed trust Smart and he's had no troubles getting whatever QBs he's wanted to.

I've certainly been impressed with Newman (although G Game would've shown a whole lot more) especially with those massive arms.

BUT, there's a lot of reasons to consider that maybe it wasn't even Newman's choice and that he was told that he wasn't going to be the starter.

1) WF against Clemson was a bloodbath and Newman should've had the chance to shine especially later in the game. He didn't. He got 41 yards total and ran for a little over 1 yard per play.

2) It's unfair to consider high schools, but keep in mind that he was just a 3 star coming up and just the 17th best Dual Threat QB.

3) Fields. I mean, if it wasn't 2020, it'd be laughable to suggest such a thing, but hey, with him in the stands it kinda fits. That would be a seriously **** thing to do when you are guaranteed a top 2 slot in the NFL Draft and have a whole lotta room to fall, but again... it's 2020. **** knows.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 369 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2020

So Mike - inquiring minds want to know. ****????

Seriously, is this roster management on Kirby's part? We all knew there were too many scholly QB's on the roster. I thought it would be Bennett who got the boot, but after Kirby begged him to come back last year, I guess he couldn't turn around and cut him this year. Also, after all the money they spent on Mathis to get his head right, they probably weren't giving up on him either. After all, he is 6'6", runs like a gazelle and has a cannon for an arm plus he has been in the program long enough to know if he has what it takes. He wouldn't have been an OSU recruit if he weren't a solid prospect. J.T. was a 5* rated HS QB for a reason and seems to fit the Monken offensive style - although we have no idea what that means for the Bulldogs since we haven't gotten to see them play yet. The only thing we do know is that Kirby and Monken have seen these guys in practice and know a lot more about their potential than any of us do.

Here is my guess. I think the Dawgs play 2 QB's this season, J.T. as the starter and Mathis as the change of pace, inside the red zone guy. In last Saturday's presser, Kirby alluded to as much when he said that D'wan went with the 1's in a red-zone series. J.T. can go pro after this season and that way he won't block any of the new recruits coming into the program while Mathis gets a year to work as the #2. Next year, Mathis will be #1 and Beck can be the backup.

I think Kirby gave Newman a way out to save face and protect his NFL draft prospects. Newman got to train and learn for 6 months in Athens for free (and seems to still have the ability to do so according to Kirby). If he had gotten injured or lost the starting job to either Mathis or Daniels, his draft prospects would have been sunk. He got all of the pub for being a GA QB without ever having to play a down! This has been the craziest year ever!

I would strongly discourage Kirby from letting him hang around the program however. Kirby saw what a energy **** Fields was at the Sugar Bowl. We don't need version 2 of that. Plus Newman leaving now gets GA to the 85 number which it looked like they were having trouble meeting.

I look forward to seeing what you find out over the next couple of weeks as we lead up to the season opener. You heard it here first, J.T. is the starter and Mathis plays in the red zone.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Like in a Roy Orbison song, "It's Over."

• Options
    JackCuppyJackCuppy Posts: 28 ✭ Freshman

Jamie spent sometime at UGA. Never played a down in a game. When I heard he was coming to UGA I looked up a few Wake Forest 2019 games. I about fell asleep each time I watched a game because I am really not into boring ACC football. There’s Clemson and then the rest are scout teams. Didn’t see what the hype was all about. Just my opinion. I have seen Carson Beck play on the high school level. The guy is a good player. I feel confident the QB’s that are currently on the roster are hard working guys. Move on already. Focus on Arkansas. GATA! Go Dawgs!