Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

David Pollack, Aaron Murray among many weighing in on Jamie Newman decision

SystemSystem Posts: 10,446 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageDavid Pollack, Aaron Murray among many weighing in on Jamie Newman decision

Jamie Newman's Georgia career was over before he ever played a snap. The much-hyped transfer quarterback announced on Tuesday that he would be opting out of playing the 2020 season and instead will prepare for the 2021 NFL Draft. Newman made his decision known via Twitter on Wednesday afternoon. "With much prayer and

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

I respect the guy’s decision. But man, this really stinks. I was so excited to see him play.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Strange timing but better now than next week.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am going against the grain..he is a quitter. He showed us he is not a team player. Yes, this an odd year for sure. He knew UGA was counting on him to perform as he said he would months back. He left at a very inopportune time but did not care. You guys can give me a hundred down votes..this is my opinion. JT Daniesl is not even cleared and may not be for the Razorbacks. That leaves Mathis and Beck...well Stetson too. I agree with Pollack...championship picture changes now. Florida is salivating with delight. So is Arkansas. LSU lost two also. This opting out business goes against my grain. I really want the Dawgs to do well this "season." So....GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Arkansas is salivating? Take a deep breath. Let's at least see if/how Daniels plays before we go sticking our legs out of any windows. I'm betting he's ready to go, but realize it's not a given. The Florida game is a ways off yet, don't see any reason to panic over that, either. If Kirby opted out, then sure, maybe it's Mullen's year. Until then, hope springs eternal.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have to agree with you UGA66! Blaming this on the uncertainty of the global pandemic is a cop out, hands down. After all the time invested in this young man! He used UGA. The pandemic has been around now for what, 6 months or more and he made his decision in the last 48 hours? So, go ahead and vote me down a hundred times as well. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't panic yet, Dawg fans. Back in 2017, when Jacob Eason went down folks thought season was lost. A true freshman led us to the brink of a National Championship (lost on the misplays of two senior defensive backs). None of us really knows how well Newman WOULD HAVE played. Nor do we know how well whoever is the starter (likely Daniels) will wind up playing. Who knows, before it's all over maybe Beck, another true freshman, steps us to lead us to glory. And if not, we'll just start anew next year in a "real" regular season.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Next Man Up!!!!

Go Dogs!!!!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Mathis is healthy, I would give him a crash course on UGA Offense 101. Daniels is gimpy, and one blow on that repaired knee and he will be joining Blaylock.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sorry, but that was a mistake, just as it was for Fromm to declare and all that "he could even be in the late first round" turned into squat as he wound up standing there watching every other pick go by.

This was to be Newman's season to shine and show off his potential. He's skipping that. It would be like Burrow skipping out on last season. "Looking good" and "maybe a Heisman candidate" doesn't mean squat when you haven't played a super impressive season.

Now, let me put my NFL arm-chair cap on and see what I see:

1) This guy is hiding something or isn't a team player. Transfers, doesn't clearly win the job and then quits. Maybe he was told he wasn't going to be the starter

2) The transfer with JT also kinda supports theory #1. Did UGA not trust his talent or committment?

3) Sure, SOME impressive stats against a few weak teams like Rice, Elon and Louisville... oh hey, they played against Clemson. Lets see his stats. Oh. 6-14 for 41 YARDS. Forty. One. The team scored 3 points vs 52 by Clemson. He couldn't even get a single big play in 3rd/4th quarter when 2nd and 3rd strings were in? Oh wait, what about rushing? I bet he ran for a ton. 12 carries for 19 yards... Wow. Again, not even against 3rd string players? Not one big run?

Look, it is what it is and it MIGHT have been different had he NOT TRANSFERRED. He was given the opportunity to show what he could do with a real team against real competition.

... Of course, now, maybe it'll all make sense. Maybe Fields is indeed going to play for us. That would be some real craziness, but it would make sense. That, or JT must've really won over the job (which wasn't what it seemed from Smart).

• Options
    CaptainchipCaptainchip Posts: 13 ✭✭ Sophomore

I have a feeling D'Wan Mathis has been winning the battle. He has the best arm, he is the best athlete, and has been a great worker. I am pulling for him after all his medical issues to now be cleared is amazing. I know the other "Newman" said he prayed aboit his decision. I am praying that God has decided on D'Wan Mathis as UGA's quarterback!

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All these haters smh. The man made a decision he felt was beat for his future. He doesn't owe UGA or you so called fans sh!t. He didn't have a real off-season maybe he felt he would struggle bc of it but its next man up so stop hati.g you **** ass repubs

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Whether you agree or disagree it is his decision to make. Making unflattering remarks should be beneath us. We have other QB's and now it is time to prepare them to step up and not miss a beat.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

D-Wan Mathis is a gifted athlete but he hasn't played football in a couple of years. CKS not about to hand him the keys to the Ferrari anytime soon. He just got cleared to contact.