Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Time out! The reality of the Georgia football quarterback situation

SystemSystem Posts: 10,486 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageTime out! The reality of the Georgia football quarterback situation

ATHENS — The Georgia quarterbacks situation has everyone guessing. That’s not necessarily Kirby Smart’s intent, but he’s fine with it. The reality of the situation is that Smart himself doesn’t know for sure at this point, and he has said so, most recently after Saturday's scrimmage. There are several factors still

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Looking more and more like Mathis is the starter.

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby will start the QB that he perceives to be the most likely to be able to sustain drives and the least likely to turn the ball over. This is why Fromm beat out Eason in 2017. This is why Fromm beat out Fields in 2018. The starter for game one may well not be the starter for game four.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

Great take, Mike. So awesome to be a fan and an expert on everything UGA football. Lol. My question is, if you have three quarterbacks, do you have one?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Having watched a documentary on Tua over the weekend it is apparent to me now why he performed the way he did against UGA in the NC game. A naturally gifted athlete but it was much more than that. He was programmed for greatness by his parents. Where is UGA's version of that guy? That's who I would start, if we have one. Give me the guy that won't be denied.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I always thought we would probably end up with a 2-QB rotation this season. I still think that will be the case at least initially. I wouldn't dare put all my eggs in the Daniels basket, because ACL injuries are really tough to come back to the point of having full strength, speed, and agility. It's pretty easy to re-injure as well. Honestly, it may take the rest of the season to get Daniels back to where he was before the injury.

Arkansas is a good test for all the QBs. I expect to see at least (2) of them out there.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been thinking about it and I think I finally "get" the Newman situation. Imagine that he was talking with an NFL scout once JT transferred and given options. I'd personally see them as something like this:

• If you are the starter and have an amazing season, then an obvious 1st round draft pick especially if it leads UGA to a NC.
    • If you don't win the job but still have shared time, then maybe 5th-7th round (?)
    • If you don't play much at all, expect to be undrafted.

Alternatively, if you weren't to play at all, 3rd-5th round pick with no risk of injuries.

So, he goes competes and doesn't come close to guaranteeing him a spot as the starter. If this was your life, what would you choose with a 1st round pick looking more and more remote?

Keep in mind Fromm got stuck on the board until 5th round and may have dropped further if we wasn't rated so highly beforehand.

It makes sense to me now and I'm not convinced the air raid would've shown him at his best.

I'm also not convinced that he wasn't over-hyped and honestly, I've liked video of JT far more than what I've seen of Newman.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, seriously, I watched performances of another 2 games for Wake Forest and was less than impressed with Newman. Overthrowing passes, wasn't getting any running yards, nothing special. Is he good? Absolutely. Is he great? Probably. Is he Elite? No way.

Can't wait to see JT and Mathis in action. Both, I think, are worth their hype.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In reference to Kirby not being able to evaluate QBs: He's a defense guy; that isn't his specialty. As a HC, he needs to delegate that job. Let's see how this season goes with Monken. It's his job to evaluate and get the offense ready, and if we get another season like the last 2, then perhaps there could be criticism if factors like COVID or injuries aren't a legitimate explanation.

• Options
    BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

He definitely wasn't elite, but that's a tough standard. I'm not even sure he was great, but we knew what he could do whereas we have no clue. Daniels, despite all the sunshine pumping, is not a proven commodity given he was bad his 1 year starting at USC. Of course it's more complicated, but this point needs to be said, there is not an USC fan that wishes they had Daniels instead of Slovis. That part can't be ignored. Is it possible JT just isn't that good?

So for me, the worry is more that at minimum Newman demonstrated some quality traits in college. We just don't know what we have. Oh and people killed Newman for not lighting up Clemson and gave credit to the OC...well, Wake looked putrid on Saturday...

• Options
    BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes, Newman took the bird in the hand. Frankly it was probably the smart decision. The odds of him boosting his stock that much were slim.

Also, be careful w/ highlights. Newman was undeniably a better QB compared to Daniels 1 year starting. Newman was of course a lot older, but from what we saw from JT, it was objectively not good. Had a lot of turnovers. And while USC was bad, they had NFL WRs on that team, so can't pretend he wasn't playing w/ talent.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I trust Kirby to make the right call. I believe that he will rely on Monken judgement and advice much more than he has relied on past OCs. I do hope we don't see second half offensive calling "playing not to lose", let's keep the "pedal to the metal" all game long.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2020

I believe we will see a significant increase in position rotations at ALL positions because depth could be decimated by one outbreak of Covid19.

• Options
    DAWGS34DAWGS34 Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

The fact that Beck worked with the two’s is entirely relevant. It’s ridiculous to think otherwise and I’m surprised Murray (or anyone) declared him the better of the QB’s despite knowing that info. Brice Ramsey and Faton Bauta looked good against the two’s as well. Not saying Beck can’t be or isn’t great but until your seen working against the top competition you can’t be declared “the best”.