Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

3 things: Georgia QB Stetson Bennett favorite to start against Auburn

SystemSystem Posts: 11,122 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
image3 things: Georgia QB Stetson Bennett favorite to start against Auburn

Georgia football Kirby Smart spoke about going deep for options at running back, and he said he liked the way JT Daniels has been practicing this week

Read the full story here

Comments

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson has earned the start Saturday against Auburn. In my opinion, he should be the starter as long as he is performing very well, and we're winning with him. Same goes for any of our other QBs. Would be nice to get up big on Auburn, and be able to play the other guys a good bit.

BEAT AUBURN!

GO DAWGS!

• plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

We don't have to be pretty, let's get a win and move on to the next one. Figure out more things as we go, no back steps. Get better each week. Try not to have a heat attack each week, when things get tight. Have a positive outlook.....Can't believe I just said that,, just the times we are in, makes me have a little different outlook... Go Dawgs

• plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sorry, the last statement makes me nauseated. I want Auburn to go home ashamed, embarrassed, beat-up.. I want a blow-out.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Again, I figure Bennett starts with Mathis his backup. But both will be on short leashes with Daniels in early in the second quarter if they can't get it done right away, sooner if they're committing turnovers.

I'm disappointed FOR Mathis because he has overcome a lot and I know he can play better than he showed at Arkansas; that's why Kirby started him in the first place. But I'm really disappointed IN James Cook, although I'm honestly not surprised. Despite all the hype he's been given -- both this year and last -- he's never truly lived up to it. They say he has breakaway speed, but I've yet to see him breakaway from anyone. They say he's a tough runner but he NEVER breaks a tackle and in fact, often gets armed tacked. He's supposed to be so great "out in space," but he drops easy passes. They tried him as a kick returner but he always makes bad decisions and tries to run balls out of the end zone only to get tackled short of the 20. Thus far, his most impressive play at UGA came as a freshman when he was on the punt coverage team and he (illegally) hit the punt returner and about knocked him out. It was a great play, though he was penalized for it, but other than that, he's been mostly a non-factor. Not even close to the 5-star rating he had coming out of high school.

All the UGA players rave about Cook and his speed and elusiveness, but they rave about everybody on the team. Three years ago, Stetson Bennett should have had the Heisman to hear them talk. But because the media can't see full practices to judge players for themselves, they report what they're being spoon fed by the players and coaches, so before you know it, there's this legend of looming superstardom surrounding certain players and their abilities but they never quite live up to the hype. Cook falls in this category and I see this happening with Demetris Robertson. I see it (repeatedly) happening with our offensive line. I'm HOPING AND PRAYING it doesn't happen to Zamir White. He still has time to show us he's all that, but I don't like the early returns.

• RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

It’s hard to determine whether Zamir and Cook are sub par or just not getting a hole to run through with this OL.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, I think there's too much drama about this and instead you can definitively say this: we have 3 excellent choices for QB. I know that QB is a big leadership thing and people seem to focus on "loyalty" a lot with the position, but I don't see why you have to commit to just one QB to play the whole game (presuming it's close) nor whether you have choose who "deserves" it.

Why can't we start JT and see how he does and how the team responds to him. Football is truly a TEAM sport and you need to find someone that fits. Each opposing team has different strengths and weaknesses on D, so if JT seems to be out of sync then put in Bennett. Heck, try a play where you have JT and Mathis as a receiver/alternate passer.

It annoys me to hear people criticize the decision to put in Bennett "so early" even after the fact that he did so amazing. How many times has Bama swapped out QBs which has led to our downfall?

Give JT a shot and go from there. He looked pretty darn good in 2018 and should fit into the Air Raid quite well.

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stetson starts and JT gets a shot in 2nd or 3rd quarter.