Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Report Card: Georgia aces adjustments and defense in 44-21 win over Tennessee

SystemSystem Posts: 10,523 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageReport Card: Georgia aces adjustments and defense in 44-21 win over Tennessee

Georgia football coaches made all the right moves at halftime in the Bulldogs' 44-21 win over Tennessee on Saturday in Sanford Stadium

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Smart needs to continue to work to eliminate unnecessary personal foul penalties." What can one say? You can beat yourself at times as UGA seems prone to do. Pickens.....childish! Also UGA had holding call and others. Not going to name them all. Some were questionable. But UGA seems to settle down and no penalties, then they begin to re-surface. I hope it is just lack of practice time and the fact that UGA is playing ranked teams... three in a row...including #2 !

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So far Stetson Bennett is filling the void left by Fromm admirably. When you look at stats, SB4 has a better completion percentage, more yards per game and per play than Fromm. I know it's only 3 games, but SB4, to me, has better accuracy, than Jake -- he hits guys in stride and throws a very catchable ball. His deep ball might not be all that, but neither was Fromm's. And SB4 has the wheels to scramble...a dimension we didn't see much from Fromm. Not busting on Jake, but when you compare the two so far, SB4 is holding his own. Next week should be interesting.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

It's also nice to see the middle of the field being targeted again, which we didn't see much toward the end of Fromm's Georgia career. I like the job Bennett has done, but remain skeptical that he can take this team the distance. His performance does appear to be a step in the right direction compared to last year but as we saw in 2019, the general lack of a deep threat makes everything harder for the offense; it just feels like it's only a matter of time before that toll comes due. I don't know what the coaches are seeing in practice, so I won't question the decision to stick with Bennett - especially as long as it's working. But I do hope to see either Mathis get his mind right or Daniels' knee fully heal before too long. But hey, I'm literally leaning on an arm rest as I type this. Wouldn't bother me at all to see us keep winning with Bennett.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So far so good with the Monken offense. He seems to make good halftime adjustments and I think the play calling is creative and less predictable. His offense will get it's biggest test this week.

The defense is just amazing. It's going to be something to watch as they go up against the best offense in the SEC.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

More mention of the Special teams! We've done great in this area so far this season. Camarda and Podlesny are great kickers. Our defense continues to play lights out and the pass rush was better than last week. We'll need to disrupt Mac Jones this weekend to have a serious chance at winning. Bama's defense is the worst its been in a very long time, and our offense is still trying to find itself so this should be a very interesting matchup. I hope we bring our A+ game from the starting gun. We can't afford to start slow. Turnovers, mistakes, and penalties may decide the ultimate winner.

Bennett made me nervous this week. I loved his scrambling ability and decision making for the most part, BUT there were too many throws across the middle into double coverage (a couple that should have been intercepted). And can he throw a back-shoulder sideline pass accurately? I'm not sure.

• Options
    rhclaghornrhclaghorn Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bennett does not need to be running into the middle of the defense. He got clocked doing that on a play late in the game. Points for moxie, but made my heart skip a beat.

• Options
    DocckDocck Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

One thing that has struck me with this defense so far versus recent years, despite all years having a strong cast of multi-stars on the roster, is that they now, finally seem to be in the right position and ready for the snap. And that's even with far fewer practices and maybe even younger players. Has anybody been as frustrated as me in past years when before the snap, our D is looking confusingly over to the sidelines and at each other, jumping around like squirrels in the road, sometimes causing a timeout to be wasted, or often times looking the wrong way when the snap goes off?? Nowadays, these kids are in synch and dialed in. And of course the result is a beautiful thing to see. I was a little skep when Dan Lanning was double-promoted to such a huge role at such a young age. No more.