Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following off week

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following off week

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.  Georgia football winners and losers following 2020 off week Winner: The Georgia offense If there were ever a

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yup, letting Fields walk was a NC costing mistake!

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

The question is has CKS learned from his monumental mistake of allowing Mr. Fields to leave for Aaron Murray 2.0 The Bills kept Fromm on roster because they wasted a draft pick on him and did not want to look ****.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, I didn't watch the game, but I would add to the losers:

1) City of Atlanta - Another game, another should've-won

2) Gurley - I get that he may have been pushed in a bit, but all you have to do is NOT score a TD. You've done it before, just not for our cursed state.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Look, in terms of Fields, it never made sense for him to join Georgia's squad and I think he realized that, but it's not Georgia's fault. We gave him a bunch of snaps. Is everyone saying that we should've started him as a true freshman? Along those lines we should be starting Beck and next year starting Vandagriff? Fields owed us another year. Period.

Now, JT is a different story. He's no freshman and DESERVES a legit chance out there.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is Fake News. Nobody let Fields walk.

Fields was poached by Ohio ST and the NCAA, who granted him a special - you get immediate eligibility - we guarantee you the starting position- because OS just lost their coach, and they don't have a good QB on their roster.

The NCAA wanted to help Ohio ST out.

If not for Fields getting that special treatment. he very likely would still be at Georgia.

That was completely out of Kirby Smart's control...

• Options
    GOdawgs2GOdawgs2 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Loser: Stetson Bennett

Everyone got a weekend to think about all the mistakes he made at Alabama, while Justin Fields played amazing in his first game. Georgia fans were able to think about what could have been if Fields stayed. Instead, we have a JUCO transfer playing quarterback. Now, I'm not saying that JT Danials should start. I'm not there at practice, but the perception of Bennett went way down over the bye week.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"The simplest explanation was that Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennett turned the ball over against Alabama, as he was intercepted three times in the loss. In the prior three games, Bennett had not turned the ball over." Not the problem. The problem is ,Stetson, bless his heart, had not played an elite team like Bama! Bama, Clemson, OSU..these are in a different cosmos. Stetson is not of the Jones' and Fields' caliber. UGA will not win a championship of any kind with Stetson, gritty as he is. Great little competitor. Put it this way, he should do well against KY. He can get you to the championship...that's it. IMO!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Why do I have to keep reading about justin fields? This article was supposed to be winners and losers in UGA's off week. fields is gone and good riddance, I say. He lied about the University of Georgia and was rewarded for it. I don't want to read about him on the University of Georgia pages unless it is before, during or after we play him.

Serioulsy, he is gone. Quit yapping about him.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    1. I don't care how poorly UK played last week, UGA can ill afford to take them lightly. That's how you wind up getting upset.
    2. Stetson Bennett's problems at Alabama go beyond just the fact that he turned the ball over three times.
    3. I truly am very sorry that Waddle to hurt, but doggone it, if he had to be hurt, why couldn't it have been 7 days earlier?
    4. Fields is gone and we do have to move on. And you're right, he could have opted out this year. Same for Trevor Lawrence at Clemson. So it makes our circumstances with Jamie Newman even stranger to me. The top two QB's in the nation not only decide to play this year but publicly fight for the chance to do so. Meanwhile, our guy (Newman) quits after the first scrimmage. I don't care what he says, his decision wasn't about COVID-19 concerns.
  • Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2020

Same with cade mays. Can we stop with the stories about those 2? They both lied to get where they are. I'm sick of hearing about those 2. If we get a chance to play fields in a bowl, so be it. But guarantee DAWGNATION, not buckeyenation, will have 20 stories about every little detail about fields. He left, he's gone, he's prospering, so let it go.

Now that I go back and see who the author is, he harps on this kind of stuff, cade mays and fields will never go away in his eyes.

• Options
    WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

@kirkhilles No one is saying Fields should have started but everyone knows CKS should have played him in the LSU loss when Frommwas having a terrible game during the regular season. Sure we may have lost the game but it would have given a clearer picture of where Fields was in his development. Maybe Kirby and Chaney didn't want him to outshine Fromm which would have caused all kinds of problems for the coaching staff moving forward. A lot of Dawgs fans are upset we let one get away when we didn't have to. Fields knew he was coming into a crowded QB room but was promised significant playing time not mop up duty. Everyone knows but hate to admit that we made a mistake by not letting him play more, thus us losing out on several opportunities to win a NC.

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

If Stetson has a great game against KY, all of Dawg Nation will be saying, “But it was Kentucky.” Not a soul dare say about Fields, “But it was against Nebraska.” Nebraska is horrible and couldn’t get to a bowl even playing in the B1G which is really the Big 1 and the other 9.

By the way, rather than brow beating Stetson and anointing Fields the Savior that Kirby let get away, let’s compare apples to apples as much as possible. Against playoff caliber teams, Stetson and the UGA offense had a higher point total by one, even with younger much less proven weapons, against Bama than the Almighty Justin Fields against Clemson!

• Options

@ShoottheHooch , you make a good point. However, the only difference is that Fields led his team to the playoffs in his first year under a new coach and a new system.I don't think you honestly believe Stetson can do the same. As I've mentioned before, I am a big Stetson fan but his lack of arm strength and accuracy was exposed against Alabama.

• Options

@SportsDashBoard , would you have had the patience to stay when you know Fromm still had another year before he could enter the draft?

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That was a decent argument for a week or two after that LSU game. But we're a couple years past that now, and it ultimately became clear that going with Fromm was the correct choice for that season. Yes, Smart could have gone even further out of his way to try to force a dilemma and foster an unnecessary complication, but what would have been the point of that? Gambling a current shot at a conference title and playoff run in the hope that the chance will return at some point in the future? It's all so obvious in hindsight, isn't it?

By week 2 of his first season, Fields was already disgruntled. Short of being handed the starting job over someone who was generally outperforming him on a team that had championship aspirations, it's hard to imagine what could have kept him happy enough to stay. Of course, he more than likely would have been the answer to the offense's struggles in 2019, taken the reigns and never looked back. If only he had stuck around that long.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe Stetson would have a much better chance if the Dawgs had OSU’s schedule rather than having to go through Bama. If Fields had to get through Bama this year or LSU last year, rather than very average teams in the B1G championship game, I have serious doubts about Fields having a lot more success than Fromm or Bennett. Fields has played one game against playoff caliber competition and it resulted in a loss, he looked pretty average, and the game ended on a bad interception.

• Options

@ShoottheHooch , You actually believe Stetson would have beaten OSU, PennState and Minnesota year? C'mon, I'm all for loyalty but those defenses were tough. We have to be real and know our own players strengths and weaknesses. However, for the sake of Dawgnation UNITY, I have been ready for all of the Fields and Cade Mays talk to end as well but hate it when we don't acknowledge that we had a gem and let the jewel thieves in the B1G steal it.

Go Dawgs!!!