Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dawgs’ uninspired win wasn’t the stuff that playoff dreams are made of

SystemSystem Posts: 10,700 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageDawgs’ uninspired win wasn’t the stuff that playoff dreams are made of

Workmanlike game against Kentucky took its toll on Kirby Smart’s hobbled team

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I was not even taking Florida seriously until so many of our defensive starters got hurt. Our defense has been their main problem over the last 3 years (they've scored only 40+ points in 3 years against us) and would have been this year too if not for the injuries. Yes they have weapons on offense but they had more last year especially at receiver and running back. I would feel a lot better about the game if Jordan Davis plays. Otherwise, I am concerned now.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Kirby does seem to be stuck in the 80s. He's starting to say the right things about today's college ball, but actions generally don't follow. The problem is, two decent SEC teams in a 9-6 game will probably both lose to both decent SEC teams who play in a 45-42 game. To wit, Alabama 41, Georgia 24. With quality players on both sides, games are dictated more by momentum than clock management; and nothing speaks to momentum more than quick points on the board. I'm hoping yesterday was a rope-a-dope, intentionally pedestrian game plan so that Monken can unleash his bag of tricks and surprise the Gators... but I hate to say it, I'm worried about Georgia at Florida next week. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you, Bill: "However, for a team that considers itself part of college football’s elite, Georgia’s workmanlike win over the Wildcats didn’t come close to being College Football Playoff-worthy." My sentiments exactly!!!

khummel...you better be worried about Florida...really worried. UGA is stuck in the old school. Kirby is all talk no walk in that area. Bennett is his problem and coaching. Look what almost happened to Clemson against lowly Boston College...don't tell me QBs don't play a pivotal role. Anyone can hand the ball off...but rifling accurate bombs to the House and 40 yds down field is for the elite and those close....Bennett will never be close.

• Options
    NashDawgNashDawg Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don’t know what’s worse going into next week, an injury depleted defense whose services will be much needed, or a 2* QB leading our offense into Jacksonville with more INT than TD over the past 2 games.

But what’s even worse is Coach leading us into a fun house without a map and giving us “coach speak” and ‘isms that negate the elephant in the room: why is JT now playing, or at least getting an opportunity?!

he can’t be worse than what we saw yesterday, and if he’s not ready, just tell us! We’re wasting an elite defense and now injuries are piling up where we won’t have that crutch

“Just wait until next year” goes the UGA old adage.....we’ll have the top QB in the country!

I’ve seen this rerun before and it ends up with UGA falling just short again....or that top QB transferring

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We can only hope some of the injured players were kept out for precaution AND that fla will lose some more players to suspensions. I don’t feel encouraged at all about the game in Jax.

• Options
    WheelWheel Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Bill,

solid analysis as always. Thank you sir. I do think holding some of the boys back "on injury" was purposeful. Regardless, we know this game means the most to Kirby as a Dawg, the O-line is actually excellent at run blocking so the idea will be to bloody the gators and make Mullen stew not getting to have the ball and thus Kyle Trask will be running for his life trying to make big throws every play. Not pretty to modern football aficionados but we do just want to win. Right? 

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks again , Bill. Wheelposts...Kyle Trask will not be running for his life every play. He began to move pretty well against Mizzou who really put the pressure on as best they could. He can run as well as pass....that is his forte'. UGA defense ..what is left of it...will have to contain him to be in the game and to win. They will have to shut down the RPO just abut every play. I do not know what Bennett will do? Just hand off I guess and not throw any more interceptions. We have pretty good backs. I reckon the WRs can block for the backs. UGA can use Stets as a third back on short yardage runs. UGA 5th in nation with a QB who is not really SEC worthy, at least against the more elite teams. Seems like an oxymoron. Maybe my miracle will come yet. Let's cheer the Dawgs on!!

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Worst fans ever. Fla hasn't shown nothing that says they're better than UGA. Good thing yall not coaching. Including you Mr Bill. That was a hard played gm. Give Ky some credit they played hard all game. Bennett is not they gut to beat Bama but he will beat Fla

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Amen Bill, Amen.

Shouldn't we be using games like Kentucky to give Bennett more actual playing time to work on the passing game? That's the way you build confidence for the QB, receivers, and the offense. Our game plan against the Wildcats made little sense to me when you're trying to develop a new QB into what is supposedly going to be a higher scoring but balanced air attack. We should have been attacking Kentucky's defense instead of grinding the ball most of the time. Just don't get it.