Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football stock report: Key trends down at quarterback, up on defense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football stock report: Key trends down at quarterback, up on defense

ATHENS -- Georgia football has been "a thing" the past three years, previously ranked in the Top 10 for 58 consecutive weeks dating back to the start of the 2017 season. The Bulldogs (4-2), however, fell to No. 12 in Sunday's AP Top 25 poll, another sign the program is in danger of losing its elite status if things

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Saban is correct, as usual. Offense wins championships, now. That means you need a Heisman quality QB to get there. Yes, you need a top tier line to protect him so he get chunks.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Go recruit 5star WRs like we go after 5star RBs. We need dawgs out there not more Launders. Jackson is a playmaker, George must have opted out....

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stock down: Kirby Smart

• Options

Starting to wonder if Pickens is having 2nd thoughts about being in Athens. I know he's injured at the moment, but just hasn't shown the playmaking ability he did last year. I know defenses have clamped down on him, making it harder to get open, fewer targeted balls his way, and fewer receptions. A QB who cannot consistently, and accurately get him the ball could be another reason. Seems strange he went from being potentially the best WR UGA has had to hardly being mentioned now.

• Options
    HowlnwoofHowlnwoof Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

Stock down: 1SECemDawgs1. Go grieve in private or be more specific with your criticism. Kirby is the best coach we have ever had.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

For the first time since maybe Stafford, we threw the ball deeper than 25 yds more than twice in the game. Monken gets a big thumbs up from me (and every UGA RB) for those calls. If Mathis had hit just two of them . . . . But, the problem is that he didn't. My concern with the QB disaster is with recruiting. Why would Brock Vandagriff sign with UGA? If I were him, I would have expected Daniels to get this year and next as starter. He should expected to get garbage time in most games. Then, as a sophomore, he should expect to have the ball.

Now, though, if Daniels doesn't transfer, he will have three years of eligibility remaining - all of which he may use to convince NFL that he still has it. There is not a chance that Beck stays - as a sophomore, he is a starter on virtually any other team in the country. Mathis will leave because he clearly believes that he should have the ball - which is fine. Mathis will probably develop into a very good QB with development.

So, in a not-unreasonable worst-case scenario, we keep Daniels and lose all the others. And, that is only if Daniels doesn't go, too (which is the only way we keep Vandagriff). In either case, Smart might be losing another 5* QB.

• Options
  • Options
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Failed to make adjustments to stop wheel routes to RB's, his "elite" defenses are exposed as average by good teams, QB situation, outcoached on every level by mullet saturday..need I post more? Is that Specific enough for you?

• Options
    edited November 2020

I agree he's probably the best UGA Head Coach I've seen in my 58 years, but even the best have bad days.. Fact of life

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Its difficult to tell what's going to happen. Bennett is gone after this year (glad that's not an option) and I have to believe that Mathis would now be a tougher sell for a Top 25 program. He's got a good arm and speed, but clearly doesn't have the "it factor" with some pretty bad over-throws. Teams want that magical Burrow-ness of being able to hit the target perfectly everytime.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just had a crazy thought. I wonder if Newman decided to come back (doubt he would unless he believes he won't get drafted) if he'd be allowed to during this crazy season. If he were to declare that before draft time, I bet they'd let him come back. Of course, he probably STILL wouldn't get the starting job with even tougher competition.

• Options
  • Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

So @1SICemDAWGS1 and @Howlnwoof , Kirby Smart is a good coach. But UGA's best ever? What about some guy named Dooley? He actually WON a National Championship and if the playoff system had been around during his day, it's likely UGA would have made multiple appearances. And depending on how the cookies crumbled, maybe walked away with multiple National Championships. Just a thought.

• Options
    edited November 2020

I said probably.. Kirby hasn't been at UGA the length of time Dooley was either. Take away Herschel and Dooley possibly has 0 National Championships also. Herschel played almost the entire game with a separated shoulder (think it was injured on the 2nd or 3rd play of the game). Unlike today where they get a hangnail and are out 2 weeks, Herschel played through the pain like a true warrior. If he's benched because of that shoulder, I don't see them beating ND for the title. Agreed, if there was a CFP back then, Dooley would have had a few appearances in the playoffs, still no guarantee he wins though. At least we aren't having to suffer through those Goff, and Jim Donan days again!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Bennett will be back. Hopefully it won't matter, but he will be on the roster.

• Options

Correct, he's a Redshirt Junior this year with 1 more year of eligibility.

• Options
    DawggolferDawggolfer Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Junior

No disrespect meant to ladies, but when even the casual female football fan at the party is asking why the running back for the other team is wide open every play, your team has a coaching problem if it they don't adapt and adjust to stop the wheel route.

• Options
    DawggolferDawggolfer Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Junior