Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart's QB decision in 'Show Me' State previews future of Georgia offense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,552 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart's QB decision in 'Show Me' State previews future of Georgia offense

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart has a big decision to make at quarterback this week for the Bulldogs game at Missouri

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yep. Should at least give the start to Beck or Daniels. Our goal for the season is 95% out of the window because of QB play, so why not try something different. They could even trot the guy out who transferred in from utah or utah state. If we cannot reach our goals, may as well go for broke. What choice do we have at the present time?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Agree with you Mike. Has Kirby gone soft? Is he telling us that Beck and Daniels - 4 and 5-star recruits - aren't better than Bennett or Mathis in throwing ability and understanding/moving the offense? Hard to imagine that one of those guys can't be better. Just makes no sense to me, and at this point with 2 loses already under our belt let's make changes and see what happens in the games coming up. We've got nothing to really lose but time in continuing to play Bennett & Mathis. I don't care what Kirby says, the play thus far from Bennett and Mathis will not, under any circumstances, move us towards our goals next season. Neither Bennett nor Mathis is our future. I feel like this is really an even worse situation than the Fromm-Fields debacle. At least Fromm was a really good QB as a game manager and kept us pretty competitive most times. Kirby just lacked the vision to see a 5-star dual-threat Fields was the FUTURE of the program.

I don't see Bama or Clemson complaining about their QB or worried about what happens when guys get hurt, transfer, or graduate. It's next man up. Season after season they prove they have the winning formula.

We can't ever say under Smart that we have lacked the player talent. We have no excuse when it comes to talent. SO, the rest of that formula is development, coaching, attitude, and putting the right people in the right place. Kirby just hasn't figured out that winning formula. Like Bill King said, there are "structural deficiencies" at least on offense.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And nobody even mentions Carson Beck, who was supposed to be a pretty darned good QB in his own right. We're not in the film room or on the practice field, but is sure looks messy from here.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby has a blind eye for the offense. Understandable since his career has been focused on defense. He needs to turn the offense over to someone that has focused their career on offense.

If you are going to recruit 4 and 5 star QBs, let them go to work. Personally, I think Eason should have gotten his job back.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just to throw this out there (as I was curious), here are the Top Pro Style QBs from the 2020 class:

#1 - DJ Uiagalelei - 71/104 with 4 TDs/0 INTs

#2 - CJ Stroud - No Passes

#3 - Harrison Bailey - 7/13 with 0 TDs/2 INTs

#4 - Ethan Garbers - No Passes

#5 - Jay Butterfield - No Passes

#6 - Shane Illingworth - 36/49 with 3 TDs/1 INT

#7 - Tyler Van Dyke - No Passes

#8 - Drew Pyne - 1/2 for 5 yards

#9 - Carson Beck - No Passes

I know everybody is demanding that freshman QBs start, but I just don't think it's to be expected. #1 and #2 KNEW they were going to be benched as they were behind the Top 2 Draft Picks. #3 is with UT and threw 2 INTs compared to 7 passes. #8 only has gotten 2 pass attempts and the only real exception is #6 with Oklahoma State which has played a bunch of basketball schools with #17 being their toughest opponent. 0 Passes combined for #2, #4, #5, #7 and #9 (Beck).

Beck can't have expected to be the starter. He, however, WILL be hoping to be the #1 for next year. If he transfers, that really isn't fair. Keep in mind that Newman will be 23 in December and Daniels 21 in Feb. Big difference vs a true Freshman who just got to campus summertime during the pandemic.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2020

Mark my word....Stetson start against MO. I wish fans could all be in the stands this year so Kirby could hear the boos for him

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 375 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Smart said Bennett wanted to play....

If only there was some person on the sideline with the authority to override the wishes of a student athlete. If only someone was in charge that could make those decisions. If one person could say "No, you're hurt or you don't have it today. Let's give someone else a shot."

I hope we find that person who probably gets paid a lot of money to make decisions like that.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

@kirkhilles...good analysis. I agree that normally a freshman QB might not be expected to start Day One - especially with a shortened pre-season. However, in Georgia's case, we lost Newman unexpected and neither Bennett nor Mathis has the talent to be our future. Therefore, we need to play Daniels and/or Beck for the remaining games to find out who might be our QB "foundation" for next season. And get that QB some experience this year so next season we can hit the ground running instead of the situation we find ourselves in this season. Vandergriff gets a full Spring season to compete with #1 and we find out who is going to start the season.

Also, your #1, DJ, has been phenomenal so far. Sure, he has made some mistakes but for a true freshman this guy has done very well and almost pulled it out against ND. Also, although Mac Jones at Bama had a little experience as backup for Tua prior to this season, when he played us that was only his 7th start for Bama. The guy does not even have one full season under his belt as a starter.

Clemson and Bama don't skip a beat when it comes to next man up at QB or whatever the position ends up being. They have figured out the winning formula while we continue once more to struggle and trip in the world of QBs. It shouldn't be this hard, because talent-wise, we have no excuse.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can anyone confirm or deny that a couple of UGA QB's (don't know who) have blocked/deleted/unfriended UGA from their Facebook accounts?

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Do we have a dedicated QB coach or is that also Monken's job?

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby wakeup! Your program is sinking.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

I see lots of similarities between Mathis and Fields (at UGA.). He has the most talent in the QB room with more height, speed and arm strength. It’s all the mental items that all FR QBs struggle with—the speed of the game, reading defenses, decision-making quickly and under pressure, and learning to control your adrenaline to deliver the ball accurately, on time with the right trajectory and velocity. It took Fields an entire offseason and spring and fall (and excellent development) to become the reliable playoff-caliber QB we saw last year. And even more refinement this year. (I actually think he’ll be the first QB pick in the draft, not Lawrence.). 2020 is almost a lost year for any QBs In a new system. No spring practice and limited unofficial group workouts has severely limited development everywhere. Teams returning experience, particularly at the QB-WR combinations in the same system, are massively ahead of teams that do not. What do Alabama, Florida and Texas A&M have in common? What do LSU, UGA and USCe have in common. QB play at UGA this year will be underwhelming, no matter who is playing. In that case, I would play Mathis and Beck almost exclusively the rest of the way to get them the experience needed to compete next year. I love Bennett’s story, commitment and moxie, but we know the ceiling for him and he’s reached it. As for Daniels, something is obviously wrong. Despite medical clearance, he either is not confident in the knee, is not progressing in the offense, or some personal issue is in the way. (Personal injury insurance or claim?). We will likely never know. I suspect he will never see the field at UGA. That said, nobody will pull harder for the Dawgs than I will, regardless of who is or isn’t playing. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It seems very clear that Bennett is our #1 quarterback because the others aren't up to his level. Why that's the case is not something Kirby's sharing even with those of us who play poker with him on Saturday night.

There is no savior on the bench, gentlemen and ladies.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hello fellow Dawgs fans. I know like me you are sick about the loss to the mud lizards. It wouldn’t matter if we had one the last 100 over them (but really it would to 😀) losing to them and seeing that **** gator chomp makes me nauseated. But I am Very thankful that we at least Do have college football to watch this year. Like many of you I’m very curious to at least see what JT Daniels can do in a real game scenario, all the practice in the world just can’t duplicate all that goes into that. But speaking For Me honestly I’m equally curious to see what Beck can do. I know he doesn’t have the past experiences that Daniels has. But Beck was a scorching hot commodity coming out of HS and was voted Mr. Football for the State of Fl. Yes he would be very raw but with that level of talent one would think he’d be at least decent. Wouldn’t Beck be prone to have better arm strength than Stet ( going by what I’ve read different places ?? And regardless of who wins the number one slot next year the number two guy needs to be Very close to being as good !! What with injuries and transfers we’ve all seen what can happen !! For that matter the number three guy needs to be pretty solid. I appreciate Stet for being a Dawg and giving his very best. I’m confident he hates losing allot more than me. I don’t like bashing on any player that loves the school and gives their very best. But he just doesn’t have what it takes to beat out top level SEC teams. God Bless you all. Be safe !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry about that butchered post !! Spell check but me and I didn’t use bullets. Wake up lol !! Hey any of you that have watched Brock V. play please fill me in on him. Strengths ?? Any glaring weakness ?? Is he mobile in the pocket ?? I’d appreciate any feedback on him. Lastly will he stick with the Dawgs and sign ?? I’ve just heard he’s Very good. And that sure sounds good to me, we need him !!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some really good analysis..kirkhilles and MontanaDawg. What's in Kirby's head is my take. Kirby likes to win the game at hand...the next foe, with his best at that time. That is why he talks so much about who's doing what in weekly practice competitions. Meanwhile, Monken is moving forward with his air raid style offense, which has worked to some degree...just has a QB who cannot complete his formula of throwing the long ball. Are the two coaches styles colliding? I have wondered this for some time. I don't think they are....Kirby has opened up a bit on offense but reserves the "tough": games for his grind philosophy....on the ground. He thinks Bennett can handle the short loops, down and outs and slot throws. Plus, Bennett is quick on his feet. It is good..until..Bennett gets hurt as he did and also gets stuffed by wise defenses...Bama and FL. Then Mathis......who has had little field time and still grimaces to the sideline when he makes a mistake...immaturity. It is like he says, I'm trying but cannot get it done. He is right. That literally leaves JT and Beck! I feel, Smart is going to be forced to play one or the other! No matter what style is called for. Interim starters, ok? UGA needs another starting QB...period! Give them experience....a shot..if you will....just try it Kirby...outside the box. Maybe your WRs will like it as well. Kirby cannot continue to play favorites with Bennett..that is over. He is not the future of UGA football, nor is tentative Mathis. Let's roll out a new paradigm now and look to 2021. Brock V. will be in the mix soon enough as well. Kirby must change his mindset or try it elsewhere. This is serious business. UGA is no longer competitive at the elite level...what Smart was hired to do!!!

Mullen saw it...he said UGA WRs were wide open and his backs did not defend well but fortunately UGA QBs are about as accurate as a carnival gun.