Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart on his first 5 years at Georgia: 'If you stop growing as a coach, then you probably need

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart on his first 5 years at Georgia: 'If you stop growing as a coach, then you probably need to give the business up'

Kirby Smart knows almost exactly what Shane Beamer is going through. On Dec. 7, 2015, Smart was formally introduced as the head coach at the University of Georgia. It was his first full-time head coaching gig. Five years to the day, Beamer was formally introduced as the head coach at South Carolina. This will be his

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

Connor, good synopsis of Kirby's first 5 years. I tend to agree with everything you said.

College football has changed both in the fast pace of the offensive game and the weapons/schemes being used. And with the transfer portal and impatient players wanting to show their stuff, you've got a narrower window in order to develop, coach, train, and produce a CFP-type team. But, there are teams out there like Bama and Clemson who have found the formula to consistently produce and play for a Natty almost every year. SO, it can be done. Like I've said before, it ain't for a lack of talent that we aren't producing the same results. Richt was a very good recruiter just like Kirby. Richt lost his mojo and winning desire (my personal opinion) to continue with the Dawgs. I do think Kirby is a better coach than Richt and is a benefit to the Dawgs program.

But how good have the Dawgs really been over the past 5 seasons? Because if you think about it, the SEC East has been a pretty weak division until Florida stepped up its game recently. I don't think Kirby would be winning near as many games every season if we were playing in the SEC West. Let's be honest. So, you really need to think about that. Now, winning the SEC Championship is another story.

I'll give Smart the benefit of the doubt and a mulligan for these first 5 seasons for not reaching our goal. But, I do expect better things in the near future. I think over the next 2-3 years Kirby will either take us to the promised land or not. This may be his last window of opportunity to show us that he can find that winning formula before fans become truly fed-up. He's making some much needed offensive changes, and I do think we will benefit from those changes.

• Options
    PythonPython Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

I got to be brutally honest here,

Kirby can beat Alabama if:

The Dawgs have far superior talent. This is how Coach O did it last year.

Kirby will never beat Alabama if:

The teams have close to equal talent. That would mean that coaching would be a big factor. In all three of these Games Saban has been able to make second half adjustments to the Georgia strategy. Kirby has never been able to respond to these adjustments. In other words Kirby simply cannot out coach Saban.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

History kind of tells it all doesn't it and it will again. Saban liked Kirby because Kirby is a focused coach...defense..that is what Nick paid him to do. As head coach, Kirby now has to assimilate all those things Saban acquired in the NFL and at the college level to tackle this enormous responsibility. Nick "made the adjustment'" probably better than any college coach in history...in my opinion. Five natties with Bama and one with LSU. Kirby is still adjusting. Clemson is similar to Bama. with Dabo Swinney. Dabo took over in '08 and has two Natties in '16 and'18. Amazing feat. Both trended with the times and often set the measure with today's evolved passing attacks and high scoring contests. Kirby, a once died-in-the-wool running back style (grind and chop) coach is now seeing the light...I hope... with the addition of Todd Monken and the fielding of JT Daniels. Some coaches are able to "adjust' better than others. But "adjust" they must or be left behind!! I believe Kirby is listening. We will see this weekend.....against a high-scoring Mizzouri team. I wish them well.......GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"In other words Kirby simply cannot out coach Saban.'

ah Grasshopper, try to take the stone from my hand= can't do it.

Kirby had Saban in the NC game. Got a little lead and put the brakes on Jake and stifled the offense trying to run out the clock. Bama got the momentum after they stopped us a few series where I don't believe we threw much on 1st and 2nd down, got behind the sticks and they brought the pressure. Momentum shifted, Tua helped and once you lose old Mo, he's hard to get back.

I like how Clemson beat beat Bama in 2018 they just kept throwing and throwing, even when they got up a couple of scores. You can't give BAMA any hope. I don't know if Kirby has that killer instinct in him, he 'd rather get up by 10 and run out the clock, depending on the defense, because, after all, he's supposed to be a defensive genius, or something like that. Hope he can change.

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Before I write anything else just wanna say how much I've enjoyed reading all the commentary on Dawgnation this season. It's helped make a somewhat bitter season a bit more palatable.

I agree that the next 2-3 seasons for Kirby are critical. At a minimum he *has* to win another SEC title during that time. Another lopsided loss in the SECCG to some offensive juggernaut or yet another blown lead to Alabama and I doubt he will be able to get the elite recruiting classes he has been, at which point the Richt comparisons will *really* come into play. But hopefully Smart grows the way Swinney did and he can lead us to the promised land before we have to endure yet more natties won by our local rivals.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

With the right QB even Ed Orgeron looks like an excellent coach. Smart has made a few coaching mistakes but overall is an excellent recruiter, excellent motivator and a good coach. I am convinced that we will reach the promised-land with the a talented QB. If Daniels stays for another year he may be the one, then the reign of supremacy will begin for UGA. I believe Brock and Beck are the real deal but I also believe they will still be growing in 2021. Daniels staying and being healthy next year may prove to be pivotal for our program.

God bless CKS and his family.

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you look at OkieHomey they recruit nasty at QB and WR but they phukup at everything else. Kirby home growns the D and the lines. I think we will be there now. He is open minded after what Saban has done. Don't think for a minute he doesn't follow Saban's lead!!!

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA is closer than it has ever been to winning a natty in decades. We are well positioned. I do not think many fans realize how important it is to spend huge on the program. Saban, in addition to being an excellent coach, transformed Alabama into one of the top programs by way of facilities, support staff, etc, which eventually lead to elite recruiting classes year after year. Same thing occurred at Clemson5-6 years ago. And now it is happening at UGA. In today's college football, you have very little chance unless you have an elite roster top to bottom, and you have to spend millions to acquire that talent. The championship field has narrowed considerably over the past 15 years, but I'm glad that UGA is in mix now.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"One of Beck or Brock will transfer. Neither one will sit for long."

I can see Beck transferring if he isn't getting any love from the coaches. He should be able to have a decent grasp on the pecking order and how they feel about him by now. Getting him into some games would be huge for his confidence going into next year. If he is getting love from the coaches but doesn't think he can beat out Brock then he really doesn't belong here or at any other great school because no one is going to hand a redshirt freshman a starting job without him beating out someone as good as he is or better.

Coaches are very reluctant to start a true freshman or even a redshirt freshman who hasn't had time in their system. Beck should have a leg up on Brock understanding the play book, the speed of the college game, and the difference in competition. Folks expecting Brock to come in here and start next year need to get a grip.