Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why Arik Gilbert could end up at Georgia after entering NCAA transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,434 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageWhy Arik Gilbert could end up at Georgia after entering NCAA transfer portal

LSU tight end Arik Gilbert was an incredible talent at Marietta High School, and he proved himself as one of the best freshmen in the nation this season

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bitterdawgbitterdawg Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Why would he ever transfer to UGA? We don’t utilize tight ends other than to block.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Guess you didn't notice Washington's 24 ypc this year as a true freshman? Not to mention Gilbert is basically a tight end in name only, and plays more like a receiver in a tight end's frame.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With the addition of Todd Monken, and the rapid improvement of the offense he has brought. I would think UGA will get much stronger consideration from a TE like Gilbert.

As for those asking why he would come to Georgia. Before Monken, I would agree, and I'm sure the lack of TE production had a lot to do with Gilbert picking LSU over UGA.

It's totally different now with Monken directing the offense. Just look at the last few games, the TE passing play has been a big part of the offense. It's about time, and I'm sure that helps Kirby's chances with Gilbert.

• Options

You people are absolutely delusional. Kirby Dumb will continue to pound the ground until he is fired after establishing a mediocre record, losing 2-4 games each season like many other before him. Please explain to me why Saban can get it done with the same elite players but an offensive coordinator carousel in Tuscaloosa. Despite losing Sark, I can guarantee Bama will be in the title hunt next year, while we are still complaining about player development and predictable offensive schemes.

• Options

Daniels threw for almost 400 yards in a relatively off performance yesterday.

Are you drunk, or trolling?

• Options
    bigdawg88bigdawg88 Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

I don't think he would come here, UNLESS he could play right away. With the sanctions against LSU he could get a waiver from the SEC. Otherwise, he ends up playing in another conference. Also, Bama is a potentional spot.

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

He wants to be close to home. Like GaTech close but UGA will do.

• Options
    Dawg01Dawg01 Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

bitterdawg sounds like a Gator troll fan. Seriously though, if Georgia wants him then they better get on the phone today because ole Danny Mullet will be calling Gilbert trying to replace Pitts. 6'5 and 250 lbs that run and catch like WR's are not easy to find. If Kirby thinks we need him then the call was made minutes after Arik entered his name!

• Options

I repeat my comment to solicit a response:

Please explain to me why Saban can get it done with the same elite players but an offensive coordinator carousel in Tuscaloosa. Despite losing Sark, I can guarantee Bama will be in the title hunt next year, while we are still complaining about player development and predictable offensive schemes.

Not drunk (yet) or trolling; just a bitter fan/alum wondering why, with our abundance of talent and nice facilities, we are not in annual contention for the championship and why we haven’t won in (over) 40 years.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

TEs were targeted eight times in our most recent game. Arik will be a first round pick wherever he plays, including UGA! I can assure you that if you are open-Daniels or any other UGA QB on our roster will want to hit you regardless if you are a called a receiver, TE or Roseanne Barr.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we are happy with top 10 finishes, then no problem. I thought when we made the change from Richt to Smarts the Man that it was about getting a Natty ? Why are we still in the next tier down from the Clemsons, BAMAs and , OHIO St.? Heck we played 2nd fiddle to FLA, this year. Maybe we take the East next season, but perhaps only because the Gators will be losing 3-4 key people on offense to the Draft. Is that how we win? Wait for our closest opposition to have less talent? What if Pitts and Trask stayed? Would Kirby's coaching be enough to put us over the top? Would you bet the farm?

Who believes that Kirby can take the lesser of talent and beat another team with more talent? If you do speak up. We just squeaked by a team that recruiting wise can't hold a candle to us. Where we sit right now, if we are honest is we don't know if Kirby can get the most out of the talent he has assembled. The jury is still out. I'm pulling for him, but more importantly I'm pulling for the team. But I'm not drinking the Kirby Kool-Aide, like some.

All I know is we had BAMA on the ropes twice and let both get away. The buck stops at the guy making all the money.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 257 ✭✭✭ Junior

Korey Foreman commits to SoCal.

• Options

Oh well, if he's not gonna be a Dawg at least he's not coming to the SEC. Let him be some other offense's problem.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only reason Gilbert had such a good year was the fact he was the ONLY offensive weapon Lsu had to make plays this season, RB couldn't, QB couldn't, WR's couldn't, that only leaves Gilbert in the equation.

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2021

Alabama had Tua as their QB followed by Mac Jones who is going to win the Heisman, thats why. Monken wasn't a guru until Daniels took the field and B. Mayfield is better this year after Monken left. Not hating on Monken, but hard to have a great offense without an above average QB.

Regarding being in annual contention, we are. We can revisit this point after the Florida game next year. However, I am as confused as anyone regarding our NC drought. My only answer to that is welcome to being a sports fan for any GA team outside of Valdosta (and soccer).

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Perhaps the best QB in college, arguably the best RB in college, and hands down the best receiver in college, all on the same team., and a 1st round DB and O-lineman thrown in for fun. An embarrassment of riches at BAMA. Supposedly we recruit on par with them. Evidently not! They get better players. Not all 4 and 5 stars are created equal, evidently. Plus Saban squeezes every last drop of their greatness out of them. I can't stand Saban, but he is the G.O.A.T. in the modern era. Not one of his former coaches has ever beaten him.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe Kirby had an epiphany regarding TEs trying to figure a way to defend Pitts the past two years. Trask was a Heisman hopeful with Pitts and very ordinary without him. Pitts times two with Washington and Gilbert (for those who read the article and can comprehend the English language) would be a nightmare to defend, as Kirby suggested, in two TE sets..

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Somewhat surprised to see this, especially after how USC quit on playing a bowl.