Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

'Unbelievable upside': What to make of late-season surge for tight end Darnell Washington

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
image'Unbelievable upside': What to make of late-season surge for tight end Darnell Washington

Over the final two games of the 2020 season, Georgia made it a point to get freshman tight end Darnell Washington more involved in the passing game. The reasons as to why are curious for a number of reasons. Washington did more than flash his potential in the final two games of his freshman season for Georgia. He had

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From what I saw in his HS highlights to what I see now, there has been a huge improvement in DW's TE abilities. Of course, part of the HS film problems could have been just the fact that he didn't have to really try due to his sheer size advantage. However, I thought he looked awesome the last part of the season and has tons of potential to be a breakout TE for UGA.

• Options
    Tailgater1951Tailgater1951 Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore

I really think Moncken is the guy to keep our offense rolling. He has that spark to get us where we need to be. Now that a year is under his belt, I look for big things next season.

• Options
    Tailgater1951Tailgater1951 Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's been a while since Georgia had a truly great TE, but the Big-O has a chance to change that!

I'm thrilled with Todd Monken, and can't wait to see what he does after a full year with the players. Here's hoping they get a real Spring practice to work on everything.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2021

I do not think I will be able to contain myself if Ark Gilbert commits to UGA. I believe the UGA offense will then be the best in the nation.

We will feel what Bama fans have felt over the past decade, like we are capable of winning every game. Alabama has the three best offensive players in the nation on their team this year, they will not lose a game this year. Unreal. LSU had the dominate offense in 2019, Bama in 2020, it's UGA's turn! Let the Big Dawg eat!

Great Article Connor! Keep it going in 2021 brother!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Washington could be for the Dawgs like Gronk was for New England IF you continue to use him as an outlet receiver. He's just too big and talented of a target to NOT throw several passes a game to him. He needs to be an integral part of our offense and was super glad to see him in the Peach Bowl getting some catches.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Gilbert is a monster. Team him up with Washington on the field at the same time and they would be unbeatable. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    AskBillyBAskBillyB Posts: 25 ✭✭ Sophomore

I enjoyed this piece, as I do all your work, Connor! Any thoughts about why Washington wasn't on the field during much of the 4th Qtr?

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Darnell was actually the #2 “athlete” in last year’s recruiting class according to the 247 composite and he was projected to play TE. I think he could play just about every position on the field including defensive end. Imagine for a second a 2 TE formation with Darnell and Arik which is the way Monken likes to play. It would make our passing game amazing, but I believe our running game would immensely improve due to having 2 monster TEs who can block very well. Go Dawgs and Go Darnell and (hopefully) Go Arik!!!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice article. #0 is a beast.

Sometimes fans get on Kirby & Company for not developing players. Washington would be a case study in how in fact the opposite is true. Just wait until you see what he does next year with a full year in the S&C program + a real offseason to better learn the game and reflect upon his freshman mistakes and learning curve.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    WestAshleyDawgWestAshleyDawg Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

He looks like a giant next to those Bearcat defenders.