Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

UGA secondary becomes even bigger concern with Tyrique Stevenson in transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageUGA secondary becomes even bigger concern with Tyrique Stevenson in transfer portal

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia secondary in even more flux after Tyrique Stevenson news Georgia got mostly great news on Monday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t let the door hit your rear end on the way out. Go play for 3-4 place in the acc and not play for the sec. I don’t understand this decision.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia should still be ok. The far bigger concern is what on the surface appears to be tampering with a student athletes at other schools by the Miami Hurricane staff. The Jan 4th article in the Miami Herald where Tyrique is named as one of several veteran players Hurricane coaches had discussed & indicated they would like to see in the portal sure seems to be an indirect form of tampering. It's extremy coincidental that 8 days after the article appeared, Stevenson shows up in the portal. Irrespective of the source, this sort of thing should not happen until the kid has officially entered the portal. Tampering with a current student-athlete at another school is a Level 2 violation considered a significant breach of conduct. Hopefully the NCAA will take a long look at this case. The NCAA made it much easier for tampering to occur by easing the requirements for athletes considering a transfer. If this is an example of where things are headed, we might as well end recruiting and just hold a high school draft every year. Sign the kids to a minor league NFL contract and start churning players like any other professional sport.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looks to me like Stevenson recognized the competition and felt like he didn't measure up as far as playing time. He is a gifted player and I wish him well. I hope he makes a truthful "commit" to Miami as his "commit to the G" was not from his heart.

• Options
    MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stevenson transferring to play closer to home reminds me of what we hope to see from Arik Gilbert.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The transfer portal invites poaching and other forms of violations. It needs to be limited and the rule about sitting out a year needs to be enforced. College football is being damaged by what appears to be free agency. I'd rather not have college football serve as a minor leagues for the NFL.

It would be nice if it was first about higher education and football second. So I believe universities should be forced to honor complete scholarships for four years when they recruit a player and extend an offer. That will create a contract situation that both school and player must honor--with reasonable exceptions: grades, family circumstances, coaching changes, etc.

I know this is a fantasy, but schools should have a "developmental" roster that allows them to have a certain number of players not count against the 85 man scholarship limit. Rather than yank a scholarship to "process" a player--put them on the developmental roster and keep paying the scholarship. If a player does his part by making the grades and staying out of trouble--he should keep the scholarship. This would allow coaches some roster management ability and players would be protected.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Given the DB talent UGA has recruited, if the "next up" get properly "coached up", this should not be a problem. Last night's championship game between Bama and Ohio State had freshman and sophomores all over the field. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" And of course, there’s the question of if it all really matters. Georgia had an extremely talented secondary in 2020. Against Alabama’s passing offense it did not matter. Against Florida’s elite passing offense, it did not matter.

The secondary position is still one of concern for Georgia heading into 2021. But modern college offenses have evolved to the point where it doesn’t matter who you have back there.

The Bulldogs should have one of those elite offenses in 2021, led by quarterback JT Daniels. Pair that with Georgia’s defensive front, and they should be good enough to help overcome a young and inexperienced defensive backfield."

Connor, I think you answered your own concerns at the end of the article. Every single year we will have gaps in some positions that will need to be filled - players transferring, graduating, injuries, etc. There's no sense in worrying about it when you've got plenty of 5-stars in your pocket to fill the gaps. No excuses. That's why coaching and development along with a solid Spring practice will iron out the kinks.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

I liked what I saw from some of the youngsters in the Peach Bowl. There is undeniably a lot of talent coming up - but the lack of experience will be tough, especially the first few games. Week one: Clemson!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MAybe a transfer sees an opportunity with UGA.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2021

"modern college offenses have evolved to the point where it doesn’t matter who you have back there." What?!! Talent always matters, at every position! An elite cornerback will lose some of the time against elite wideouts but a good or average CB will lose most of the time. Side Note: The comparison you made with Fields and Bennett against Bama is laughable. Come on Connor.

My money is on Ameer Speed and Kelee Ringo to step up at CB and get the start early. Ringo is a future first rounder and Ameer Speed is a legit 6' 2" track star that has already flashed.

I hate losing so much experience and hope Stevenson reconsiders but we will be fine. IF we lose to Clemson, it won't be by much; and, the committee will not hold that against us, especially after we beat Bama in the SECCG!

• Options
    WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

Dawg Fans can we please show some class and not bash these young men who decide to go elsewhere. Like I said before, we never bash the coaches who leave for better opportunities, so why do it to the players?

Let's face it, every year the elite schools lose their top players to the draft/graduation but always seem to replace those gaps with younger players who are ready to step up. No reason why UGA can't do the same. The future isn't doom and gloom like some of you make it.

I was blasted for saying that the Peach Bowl is a look int our future and we needed to concentrate on the bowl game. Guess what, we did both. Well the future is here and I see it as being bright...

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    stacey20stacey20 Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

Stevenson couldn't cover anyway. He is only good on running down. He is more of a safety. His hips are tight and doesn't have elite speed to cover.