Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Zamir White announcement illustrates how much college football has changed since 2017

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageThe Zamir White announcement illustrates how much college football has changed since 2017

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. The Zamir White announcement illustrates how much college football has changed since 2017 The Georgia football

Read the full story here

Comments

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think White and Cook made the right decision to return for another season. Cook will continue to add good weight and will only improve from more reps.

Chubb seemed to get stronger and more agile after the two year mark had passed from his knee injury. Maybe White can do the same. White's agility and speed seemed to improve as the season progressed. Hopefully he will continue to recover and will become an even better runner.

Georgia is clearly a better team with both White and Cook.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was thinking about it the other day and a school like Bama and Clemson have big advantages for keeping their seniors. It's not a pep talk by the coach, it's the simple fact that they know they are going to be in the playoffs the next year and likely facing for a NC.

That's gotta be something that makes the risk of injury well worth it. The problem is that while we are a Top 10 team every year, clearly even playing on a New Years Day bowl wasn't enough to keep a bunch of players... for just playing one more freaking game, let alone for a whole another season. It may not be a Superbowl ring, but I bet it feels pretty darn good.

This makes those teams even tougher because a 4th year 4+ star player is likely going to be more valuable that year vs a true freshman. Look at Mr Heisman, Devonta Smith. 4 star, 9th best WR recruiting wise. Just 8 catches Freshman year, 42 Sophomore, 68 Junior and then hit his stride for 117 catches (in a shortened year) for 1,856 yards.

• USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope we can continue to improve passing intermediate passing game (we've done better on deep passing) to keep defenses honest and keep them from crowding the box. That would open up a lot more for these returning backs and would be a big reward for their loyalty.

Teams are still learning that if they take away the running game they will keep it close and have a fighting chance. We need to make them regret that choice.

Really excited to having Zeus and Cook back! Zeus will only continue to get better. This last year was only his first back. I believe his vision will continue to improve as he's adjusted to the speed of the college game and continues to gain confidence in his knees.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's be honest we haven't had a holy terror in the backfield in a few years. We haven't had that since before Swift injured his groin. Zeus and Cook and Milton are all serviceable backs but we need someone to differentiate themselves from the pack.

Where is our Najee, Entienne, Sermons, Clyde-whatever. RIght now if one of our backs couldn't play no one is going to say, "Well there went our chances." Maybe a good thing, maybe they're all equally good, or that no one stands out above the rest.

We need a bell-cow kind of guy. We are RBU! or supposed to be.

That said, we have to have an offensive line that can allow the runners to get to the line of scrimmage without getting blasted in the backfield. Saw that way too many times this past year. Until we have a dominating O-line we will have to continue to rely on the passing game to bail us out.

In two of the Dawg's wins with JT at the helm the rushing yards were plum embarrassing for a top 10 program.

• CDawg09CDawg09 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

I expect great things from the Dawgs this year. If we tighten the secondary and stretch the field, I believe we’ll have a legitimate shot at winning the SEC.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Believe me, the return of White and Cook will keep the defenses honest this season. They may well be pivotal on occasion. UGA is now at full strength running and passing. Is a natty far behind? This is it, end of the 40-year drought. GO DAWGS!!!

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Zeus is, indeed, (and in deeds) a DGD. So are our other returnees. GO DAWGS!!!

• dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

White and Cook coming back is gonna cost us at least one of the younger backs. They will transfer. Most likely Milton and maybe McIntosh too. I'll be really ticked if it does. The only way I'm not mad is if Zamir has a jump like Chubb did in the NFL being 2 years removed from surgery and we win a natty. Otherwise it's for not.

I disagree about a transfer. It's my understanding that players do not lose a year of eligibility due to Covid. Not just seniors, but all players across the board. In essence it's like a redshirt year for everyone. Am I right on this?

So, Milton still has 4 more years and Kenny still has 3 more years, if they so desire to play that long. If so, why transfer? You still have plenty of time and you still would have to go and beat out a team's best competition, wherever you go. It's not like we have Najee returning or Entiene where you know your touches are going to be limited. The way I see it is the door is wide open for someone to assert their dominance.

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I am so torn about this decision. As much as I love him being a Dawg, I would of rather seen him go pro and earn some money. His knees will always be his knees. Another year at UGA will not improve his stock. Too many other backs to feed. Could get stronger with even better pass pro, absolutely, but not going to be a 1300 yard back. Nothing towards him, just too many backs. I agree with dawgfan623, UGA is going to lose a young back, I believe it may be Edwards. He is the same type of back as Zeus. The leadership is very important, I understand that. Cook can provide that. Keeping Zeus for 1 more year and losing a possible 3 years of Edwards, to me is not worth it. Zeus will always be a DGD, and always a favorite player of mine, but I would of liked to see him make some money. This is about the future, 2-3 years from now, and beyond. I hope Zeus stays healthy and the backs stay put. Make this the 1st year of many championships.

GO DAWGS!!!!!

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

White, Cook, Edwards,. McIntosh and Milton, no one has a stable like this. Think about this and the receiving corps we have returning, with Daniels at QB, with Beck and Vandagriff in waiting in the wings and Monken running the offense. This Spring and Summer we'll develop our offensive line with the depth we have and the Dawgs will be able to score 2021. Go Dawgs!!!

Cincy's defense was pretty good and without much of a running game he threw for 390 yards.

We had 8 yards rushing against Miss St he threw for 400. Usually when you make a team one dimensional like that you win. Thanks JT!

• Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not sure we see any transfers, but recruiting for the next year or so at rb might suffer. (Glad lovasea is in the fold) Opposing coaches will be selling lots of playing time.

• 87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭ Junior

Excited to see White and Cook coming back, but the comparisons to Michel and Chubb are unfair. Michel and Chubb would have been day two draft choices after their junior years. White and Cook are both very talented but I don't think they are at the level of Chubb and Michel. In fact, Milton and McIntosh may end up being the better combo. Chubb and Michel carried that 2017 team both with their play and their leadership. That team also had a future first round pick backing them up.