Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football podcast: The media should stop comparing Kirby Smart to Mark Richt

SystemSystem Posts: 10,443 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football podcast: The media should stop comparing Kirby Smart to Mark Richt

Georgia football is the No. 1 topic every day on DawgNation Daily — the daily podcast for Georgia Bulldogs fans. Catch up on everything happening with UGA athletics with host Brandon Adams and the DawgNation experts as they break down the latest Georgia football recruiting news and discuss coach Kirby Smart’s quest

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

You're spot on most of the time BA, but any defense of Booger McFarland as a color football analyst is completely without merit. The guy is a cliche machine and brings little information of interest to a broadcast. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I didn't listen to the podcast today, but here's my take on the comparison between Richt and Smart... although Richt was a good recruiter, Smart is a far better recruiter and coach than Richt. I also prefer the fire and passion that Smart shows on the field compared to the mild-mannered approach to almost everything Richt shows in his coaching style. Different styles have produced different results. Smart is 10-6 against Top 10 teams which is significantly better than Richt's record against top competition. However, Smart definitely still has room for improvement in both coaching and in-game decision making. And I'm not sure he has a real grasp on QB selection and development. We'll certainly see how he handles the development of Daniels and the added Brock/Beck QB competition this Spring.

Bottom line: Smart is a very good coach and a healthy improvement over Richt in both coaching and recruiting. However, his results have been somewhat disappointing after 5 seasons considering the talent he has had to work with...think about this: the Dawgs 2017 trip to the playoffs was with Richt's recruits. 2021 is a pivotal year for Smart's program.

• Options
    edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior

You are right about the media doging Kirby with the comparisons. They never do that to Saban. It is intentional and aimed to hurt recruiting. But then again those guys are also scum bags doing the networks liberal left brainwashing as best they can. Even the Biden/Harris commutative coin commercial is trying to brainwash our nation. Sickening and as far as college football it is killing the sport. Who wants to listen to a political poison during a football game broadcast.

• Options
    MarkGelbartMarkGelbart Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

Richt didn't have to compete with Saban for his first 6 seasons. That is why it's not fair to compare Richt's first 6 seasons with Smart's.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2021

As I have said for years now, it IS pointless to compare the 2 coaches. The resources at each others disposal is light years apart. If people cannot see from the past decade - MONEY BUYS CHAMPIONSHIPS in college football nowadays.

I have never said that Richt, had he recd the same support as Kirby, would have won a national title (albeit he came close a couple of times) but I will go on record in saying that Kirby, had he recd the same level of support that Richt had, would NOT have performed any better. Remember his first year when we lost to Vandy, GT, UT, and almost to Nichols State (all of them at home)!!!! And we had Chubb & Michel in the backfield too. Winning is much easier when you have the talent/depth we have now.