Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Arik Gilbert may have been a want for Georgia football, but he wasn't a need for tight end room

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited February 2021 in Article commenting
imageArik Gilbert may have been a want for Georgia football, but he wasn't a need for tight end room

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Arik Gilbert may have been a want for Georgia football, but he wasn't a need for tight end room Florida always

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Florida clearly needs Gilbert more than Georgia. He will be targeted much more often. After that, where's the upside?

Emory Jones (56% - Completion Percentage) may well prove to be the least efficient starting QB in the SEC next season.

Picking Florida is a huge gamble. Gilbert would've been better off with fewer targets, while in a balanced offense with a proven passer at QB.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Understandable, good luck Arik! Would be really good for him if Trask would be around........only time will tell if they can use a weapon like Arik a QB that needs to prove himself!

• Options
    DawgDaddyDawgDaddy Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore

Good luck to him except when he lines up against the red & black.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just read a bunch of posts on the LSU site and they are all over the place regarding Gilbert. They are understandably upset he’s leaving. I was fascinated with all the conspiracy theories from failed drug tests to laziness to academic problems to not having enough passes thrown to him, etc. Apparently Coach “O” did everything he could to placate Gilbert, but it wasn’t enough. If 5 catches a game at LSU was not enough then I doubt seriously UGa would have kept him happy. We have other great players on our team who have earned “touches” and it would have been unfair to focus on one player just to keep him happy. My bet is Gilbert knew Mullet would give him what he needed and Kirby won’t play that game. This is a classic example of someone who spells the word “team” with the letter “I”. Go Dawgs and I’m totally satisfied with our TE room!!!

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

Something just seems off with AG. Best wishes to him, but I'm not disappointed that he chose UF. We have more playmakers than we can placate as it is.

As for Darnell Washington, get that man the ball early and often in '21. He can be a real gamechanger on 3rd down for us. He's a mismatch against all defenders. 2021 is shaping up to be a hell of a year for the Dawgs.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Enough about this kid as we are focused on Dawgs now.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Darnell Washington is all we need. He is all man. So is Arik Gilbert. When he was at Marietta HS, he was a man among boys, and he made the difference. Good luck with the gators; you'll need it.

Hopefully, Washington will get the ball more now that we have a quarterback who can pass and run the game. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not going to try and sugarcoat it or downplay it or cast aspersions about a kid that I don't know. From ALL accounts, CKS and the rest of the Georgia staff would have been thrilled to land Gilbert and I don't think they're exactly jumping for joy that he's going to Florida. Part of winning is not only getting a lot of your own toys, but keeping your opponent from getting any toys. True, we might not have NEEDED Gilbert, but I think if he had come to UGA, we would have found a way (hopefully) to use him. He did not and now we must rely on the guys we do have. I trust that they will come through. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He turned the Dawgs down twice, please no more write ups of this young man on DawgNation.