Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Transfer portal illustrates another stark differences between Kirby Smart and Dan Mullen

SystemSystem Posts: 10,668 admin
edited February 2021 in Article commenting
imageTransfer portal illustrates another stark differences between Kirby Smart and Dan Mullen

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Transfer portal shows stark differences between Kirby Smart and Dan Mullen Say what you want about Dan Mullen —

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mullen is a clown, the need to erect a Big Top like the one at FSU so Mullen can bask in his Carnival Glory!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2021

I have mixed feelings on the Transfer Portal.

First off, I think EVERYONE can agree that the NCAA has handled it very, very poorly. Whether it's greed, corruption and/or fear, they've had inconsistent policies that borderline on fraud. Anytime families feel the need to hire a $$$$ lawyer for the process shows how messed up it is.

That being said, both coaches speak based on what they are good at and yeah, Georgia has had a Top 3 class every year during Smart era while Florida has not. 'Nuff said there.

What they need is something that makes sense. Personally, I'd do something like this:

• You can transfer anywhere as long as you pay that penalty year
    • You can always transfer to a lesser level w/ no penalty: If someone wants to transfer from a Top 5 school to a basketball school, they should be able to because they meant they couldn't cut playing at a top level
    • You can always transfer back to a school in your "home state" as long as it isn't in the same conference you are in now.

Maybe the NCAA needs to set "tiers" for schools based on their historical performance and not allow movement without penalty between them. No player should be able to move from LSU to Florida without a penalty year. No player should be able to move from Georgia (their home) to Ohio State. This one shouldn't have been allowed, Fields should've been allowed (along with the Mathis trade) and so on.

Blame is being put on coaches for "allowing them to leave" which is complete BS. Coaches shouldn't have to feel like they need to give a freshman more playing time just so they won't transfer. I mean, if Daniels is still looking great next year, Smart shouldn't need to play Vandagriff more than in cleanup options and shouldn't feel pressured for him to have to make big throws just because.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@kirkhilles ...Without a doubt the NCAA has handled the transfer portal poorly. They have been poorly handling things for decades with their inconsistency in decisions.

I’m hoping Kirby doesn’t change his overall view regarding transfers unless it is a very special type player. What I mean by this is getting a player to come and be a part of the team and not a “it’s all about me” type of player. Someone who truly wants to be a Dawg, willing to be a small part of the big picture, winning championships and not more concerned with individual honors. I want to believe this is still the type player most NFL teams are looking to find. Just do your job and they (NFL) will find you. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's face it these are kids being asked(urged) by high pressure salesmen to commit 3-4 years of their lives to a coach and a school. Contrary to what most would argue, schools don't go to a recruits house and sit down with these kids and their parents, coaches do. They are committing(in many cases) to the schools they have always dreamed of playing for(no problems here)and in other cases to an idea sold to them that feeds their young egos. But coaches can leave and go somewhere else on a whim. Why not these kids? Coaches fall out with players, often times for ridiculous reasons that have nothing to do with talent or even their attitude. Just some perception. Many athletes have gotten on a coach's "bad side" and never knew the reason why.

Coaches oftentimes don't know craps when it comes to assessing talent. If you think I'm wrong watch the Youtube video about Tom Brady getting picked in the 6th round and all the major coaches that fawned over the QB's that got drafted ahead of him, the no-names that no ones ever heard of before, unless you do this stuff for a living. Unbelievable.

Go look back at the recruiting experts ratings of HS QB's 4-5 years ago and see where these can't miss players are today. Mac Jones was the 18th rated "Pocket passer" coming out of HS. If memory serves me correctly, he is the only one that is going to be drafted from his top 20 group, there may have been one other that makes it . The point is that the experts and the coaches, try as they may, cannot accurately(high percentage of the time) tell who will be a 1st or 2nd or even 3rd round draft pick, if at all.

As a fan, it might not sit well with me, but who am I to judge these kids and their situations? If a kid wants to leave a school and his new found friends(football family) there is usually a good reason. Usually a significant one. I'm not going to sit and preside over that reason any more than I might as to why someone gets a divorce. Hey, that's a pretty big commitment broken there and yet society does it all the time. Grown ups, nonetheless.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thank you for the article Connor. I agree with most of what you said, but respectfully disagree that- "If Florida continues to find success and hang with the elite teams in college football, Smart will have to re-evaluate how he uses the transfer portal." You appear to be assuming that CKS is not attempting to do exactly what Mullens is doing. The five stars are jumping ship and landing at Florida ONLY because Mullens does not recruit as well as CKS AND Florida has more opportunity for playing time because the lack of said success. Lower-Tier coaches, so to speak, will always benefit more from the portal. There is nothing for CKS to "re-evaluate" when it comes to the portal because he too is always going after the elite whether it is in the living room, on zoom, on campus or in the portal.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree Mullen may be a clown but he just grabbed one of the country's most elite tight ends away from UGA. I would love to hear the promises he made this guy. I assure you, this FL transfer will directly affect UGA on the field this year. Gilbert is that good. UGA has Washington to counter, a true recruit and now a sophomore. We'll see how this evolves come UGA vs Gator day. Overall, UGA should overpower Mullen and send him packing. Also, JT Daniels is better than anything Mullen can offer at QB. UGA wins this one going away.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2021

Kirby is at a flagship institution in a top four recruiting state and consistently lands top three classes.

Mullen’s at a flagship institution in a top three recruiting state and barely sniffs top seven recruiting classes.

Gator Nation should be up in arms! Mullen is recruiting at a Richt level and Dawg Nation can testify there is a HUGE difference between top 10 talent and top three talent. The stars may occasionally align for a very good season but there is no consistency.

Kirby needs to keep doing what he’s doing and DN should be laughing at the clown! Let Gator Nation and Chuck Oliver crow about Mullen’s “genius”. All the portal is doing is slightly lessening the amount that Mullen is falling behind Kirby. The gulf between the two continues to widen!