Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Surveying the SEC East: Dawgs’ prospects for 2021 are scary good

SystemSystem Posts: 10,528 admin
edited February 2021 in Article commenting
imageSurveying the SEC East: Dawgs’ prospects for 2021 are scary good

This time, optimistic UGA fans aren’t talking about ‘next year’

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

thanks for another great article Bill. I think keeping our starting QB healthy will be the critical factor that could make or break the season. BTW, does anyone know if Arik will be eligible now that he’s playing closer to home? 😉

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree, this year setup well for the Dawgs. They just need ole lady luck to smile down on them. It's about she gave UGA some...

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't want to be optimistic because everyone else just happens to stink in a down year for them. That is so un-Alabama like. I can't imagine BAMA fans thinking, "OK this should be our year because everyone else stinks." LOL! I want us to win because we truly have a great team. Beat the best and destroy the rest. Change the culture and expect more.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" If Georgia falters in the East, though, Scott thinks it will “definitely create a crisis atmosphere for the program. … Not that Kirby would be on the hot seat (no way), but it would significantly increase the doubters who question whether Kirby will ever be more than a great recruiter.” "

Amen to that Bill. I have to agree wholeheartedly with the above statement. Losing the SEC East would be a disaster in 2021. There's just no way around Kirby trying to explain THAT one.

And we have at least as good or possibly better talent than Clemson. They are beatable and have slipped a bit over the last couple of years. We'll be their toughest game all regular season for them, and they should waltz easily (just like the Dawgs) into the ACC Championship game. Daniels has much more game experience than Clemson's DJ, so I give the QB edge to the Dawgs. We'll just need to stop the DJ run threat. Clemson's defense will be formidable, but with the weapons we have on offense and Dabo's unfamiliarity with a full Monken-style scoring offense, I see us using our RBs and TEs as passing targets along with a lot of eye-candy pre-snap motion to keep Clemson guessing.

We see Bama in the SEC Championship game. Honestly, if we beat Clemson and beat Bama and still lose in the playoffs, I'm going to be ok with that. I'll be more than proud of the Dawgs. Because that in itself is a BIG step up for the Dawgs and Kirby. As I've said before, Bama is beatable (maybe not in 2020 but normally). Ole Miss (twice), Auburn (twice), and Texas A&M have ALL beat Bama in the last 8 years. So, there's no reason we can't do the same.

GO DAWGS!! GET 'ER DONE!!

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not really a fan of the mindset that we are best primed for a championship run when our conference schedule is perceived to be weak. If anything, it could be argued that playing in the weak SEC East hurts the Dawgs as they seem ill-prepared and outmatched when it's time to play a battle tested Alabama or LSU in the SECCG. Granted, that's been Clemson's m.o., just without having to play an uber talented division champion like we seem to have to. But Georgia is, based on star ratings of recruits, uber talented in its own right, and starting to run out of excuses. Absent glaring QB issues, recruiting at this level should mean a championship run is the expectation *every* year, regardless of how the rest of the East appears to be doing.  

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

The East is so weak there is no way this team should lose a game. Because of the offensive weakness of the East outside of UF the defense will not be tested. It is the same problem OSU had against Bama in the NC game. They were geared to win the Big10 but not to stop an elite offense.

Don’t be too quick to sell either LSU or Bama short in the SECCG. Yes other teams have beaten Bama but in almost all cases it was the results of either key injuries or a fluke play. Either LSU or Bama will be a serious problem for the defense.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

While the Dawgs have a lot of pieces in place, there are still two major areas of concern: O-line and D-backs. So anointing the Dawgs anything is premature at best. Also, as we have seen in years past, injuries can be a key factor in the outcome. Ask the Chiefs how there Super Bowl went without both their starting tackles. We can take nothing for granted but I do agree that the schedule sets up well for this fall. But don’t forget TxAM in the west. AL is no sure thing to get in the playoffs either.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart on the "hot seat"? LOL, now there's something funny.

The guy has come in and fired up the program. Recruiting wise, it's been unparalleled. Top class in 2020, 2nd best in 2019, grabbing top talent from in state.

Letting Smart go with be the biggest mistake Georgia could make. 13 wins in 2017, 11 in 2018, 12 in 2019 and 2 losses in 2020.

• Options
    Tailgater1951Tailgater1951 Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore

Looking forward to the season with plenty of talent to go around. Let's not get outcoached while making the good halftime adjustments, and the Dawgs will be fine. We can't help it if 3 of the teams in our division are re-building, let's roll. Say hi to Joel P. for me