Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Paul Finebaum lays out the key area where Kirby Smart must improve as a head coach

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited February 2021 in Article commenting
imagePaul Finebaum lays out the key area where Kirby Smart must improve as a head coach

Kirby Smart is often fond of saying that pressure is a privilege. And entering the 2021 season, Georgia seems to have a good amount of pressure on it. The Bulldogs bring back a number of key contributors on offense, chiefly quarterback JT Daniels. Add in that Georgia continues to bring top-5 recruiting classes, and

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JudgeDog31JudgeDog31 Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Finebaum is such a blowhard. At the end of the day, he simply looks at the win-loss record and develops his opinion around that. It’s what we as fans do, too, but he attempts to pass off his opinion as an informed analysis. Uh . . . , no.

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

I actually like more than dislike Finebaum, but I do think it might be reasonable to discuss the key areas where Paul must improve as a talk show host.

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

They don't call Paul "The Mouth of the South" for nothing. I'm sure that Kirby will sleep better at night now that Paul has shown him the way to the National Championship.

• Options
    Alexander_the_LateAlexander_the_Late Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes, we all know Kirby isn't good enough until he wins a National Championship, just like every other coach of a major program. But, even after he does win a Championship, everyone writing about the Dawgs will still keep bringing up Justin Fields until the end of time.

• Options
    srialiensrialien Posts: 13 ✭✭ Sophomore

For absolutely any coach, including Saban, You can pick and choose isolated decisions and label them questionable. It’s a part coaching. If a decision works, which in the Cincinnati game it did by the way, then it was a good decision. If if doesn’t, like Justin Fields not calling for the play to start quicker on the fake punt, then your a bad game coach. Makes the narrative a lazy one.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2021

Smart has got the BEST record against TOP 10 teams than ANY previous UGA coach (even Dooley). I think he is 9-4 or 10-6. Whichever it is, he has definitely won more games than his predecessors against top competition.

Smart is an excellent halftime adjustments coach but just a pretty good in-game coach. IMHO, Kirby HAS made some poor decisions in-game that have cost us and left me scratching my head (the late game Cincinnati punt being the latest one). He can definitely improve there. I also think that he is not willing to make a potentially disruptive/risky change in-game and instead will continue along the same path in a particular game that everyone else can see is clearly NOT working. Smart also needs to figure out how to win the games he is supposed to win and coach well enough to beat the teams we need to beat in order to make the SEC Championship and playoffs. Bottom line: Figure out how to win the games you need to win to get to the next level.

Bama has only had (2) undefeated seasons since 2009, but they have managed to win (6) National Championships over that same period of time. Saban just knows how to win the games he needs to win. Bama definitely plays in the tougher SEC West division as well. In fact, their SEC loses have only come from Ole Miss (twice), Auburn (twice), LSU, and Texas A&M during the past 8 years. Not a single SEC East opponent has beaten Bama over that time period.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only thing I'd like to see is a more willing to "experiment" and that's always been pointed at the QB position to start. Start who you want to start, but give others a shot just to see how they do in game day situations - it may or may not reflect what you see in practice. If running isn't working then pass. If you can't go up the middle, go wide. Give Wildcat a shot here and there, especially if if you're are going to try a pure-running play. If anything, it'll keep the opposing team off guard.

Reminder: Saban putting in freshman Tua at halftime with little experience to beat us. He only had 50 passing attempts at that point, not much more than Fields had for us (39 attempts).

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fromm was 0-5 in his last 3rd down conversion tries in the 4th quarter of the SEC Ch. Game. UGH! He was a very good QB but in the end Tua and Jalen had that little something extra Jake didn't have. There were **** play designs (such as 2 and 5 and every receiver runs a deep route) with no check down, Jake tries to run it gets eaten up or he throws ball to the covered up receiver instead of open one.

But to try to lay blame on Justin for not getting the fake punt off quick enough on a 4th and 11 play is silly. I have looked at over and over on Youtube(go see for yourself)and everyone was covered (there was no open as Kirby claimed) there was no miscommunication on BAMA's part and besides that Justin calls for the guy to hike it and he doesn't see it and Justin has to throw out his arm a second time., before he hikes it. Just let it go.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think CKS needs to "prove" is coaching ability. He has done that quite well. If anything we are looking at decisions that could be "critical" that we hope would do our way. IF he has the right OC, the right QB and a good D I would think we will see what we all hope.....BIg wins that lead to something even bigger!

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 363 ✭✭✭ Junior

The biggest issue I have with Smart's coaching is adjustments needed on Offense or Defense take too long to occur. Other teams are able to make in game adjustments by the next series but not UGA. Kirby has to be better and quicker to react and straighten out the team during a game.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beat clemson!!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well let's see, Dabo Swinney went 46-19 during his first 5 years. Kirby Smart went 44-9 in his first 5 years. Lincoln Riley went 45-8 in his first 4 years.

Considering how Kirby plays in the SEC, with Swinney in the ACC and Riley in the Big-12, I think it's safe to say Kirby has started out better ( against better competition) than both of them. Kirby is a first time coach with only 5 years under his belt.

Sure, he needs to get better at a few things, but so did every other coach with only 5 years on the job. Kirby Smart is doing a **** fine job. And the future is only going to get better...

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One could certainly argue that Dabo and Riley have done more with less talent. Their recruiting classes , at least according to the recruiting experts haven't matched up with CKS's lofty classes. F or example the recruiting classes that Riley took over from Stoops were ranked on avg. #15 in the nation. Riley has done a little better averaging around #10 in the nation. Dabo's recruiting classes leading up to his 1st championship were similarly ranked, definitely not top 10 every year, much less top 3-4.

Kirby is a fine coach , hopefully he improves, at this point I don't want anyone else, I don't think the overwhelming majority of UGA fans want anyone else either, but they do(we do) expect something more than just winning the East when FLorida isn't strong and losing to BAMA in the big games.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't understand why the punt was a bad idea. There's nothing wrong with playing a field position game and resting the game in the shoulders of the defense. Perhaps in today's emphasis in high powered offenses, it is not seen as "sexy" to stuff someone and give the offense the ball back. UGA defense had totally shut down the Bearcats in the second half. Punt, stop them. Get ball. Drive for willing score. I say "good call", coach.