Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

3 Things: The case of Carson Beck in Georgia football QB room

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited February 2021 in Article commenting
image3 Things: The case of Carson Beck in Georgia football QB room

Georgia football has a loaded quarterbacks room with JT Daniels the projected starter and Carson Beck, Stetson Bennett and Brock Vandagriff competing

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The success of Mac Jones should be a wake up call for any QB who is considering bailing out on their current team.

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lean and compete, pretty simple. Do not care if it is a 4 star, 5 star, no star. Need the best players in the game.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Conjecture does little to unravel the QB mystery still prevailing at UGA. Beck did/does not seem to hit Coach Smart's sweet spot? Maybe this spring will change all that. Until then, CKS continues to back up with Bennett. Now UGA has high school sensation Brock V. in the mix. He is recovering from an earlier injury but should be ready sometime this spring. JT Daniels is the starter. All else is still to be determined.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll say it as many times as takes. Put them in the game. Period. Beck deserved more than 0 plays last year just like Daniels should've been put in as soon as he was cleared.

Remember that Mathis got the #1 spot to start the season and that didn't work out. That should show that practice isnt everything. Beck and Vandagriff NEED reps and I'm not just talking about handing off every 4th quarter plays.

Loyalty determines who starts but it doesn't need to guarantee playing the whole game. Up by 14+ points? Give Beck a set of downs with 1st string offense. Put in Vandagriff on the next drive. Does the opposing D seem to have our number? Switch things up.

• Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman

Stetson Bennet is not going to be the number 2 backup for the Georgia Bulldogs football team in 2021.

To actually believe otherwise does not fit with any aspirations this team has of winning a Natty or making the CFP in 2021.

it just doesn’t.

Everyone knows the numbers and saw the results even before the shoulder sprain, so please stop pretending like the Florida game results and the Alabama game results didn’t happen.

These clickbait articles that put out pretend scenarios like this are absurd.

Carson Beck and Brock are going to be competing for the number 2 spot, and that’s about it. That sums up the QB room at UGA in 2021.

Now if Daniels falls off a cliff this season or takes a bad injury, the two I mentioned above need to be ready and should be taking the overwhelming majority of the snaps in practice throughout the Spring and Fall. SB should not be taking hardly any of those snaps from them.

Not if this team wants me to take them seriously about their aspirations to win the SEC this season and dethrone Alabama.

I have already seen what SB could do against this Bama team with all of the weapons he had last season, and it wasn’t pretty.

I am not being rude or disrespectful or even mean by posting this, I am just giving my opinion and “keeping it real” a tad more than some softies may be comfortable with.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've said on here many times that practice can only reveal so much, mostly the measurables like foot speed, how hard and long a QB can throw it, can they make all the different type of throws. In practice where no QB is going to get clobbered, everyone if they have any talent mentioned above looks pretty good. But when the lights come on and the adrenaline runs high , the game speeds up and the other team's rushers are breathing down your back and you get that first pop on you, one of two things is going to happen, your instincts are going to takeover and you fight or you melt. What we saw last season in the first game was the guy with the most raw talent(measurables) looked lost like a deer in the headlights, wasn't accurate and when he got his first pop, he melted. And the little 5' 10" guy had to come in and takeover. I have no doubt Mathis looked the part in practice. So much for practice identifying who should start. Eh., KIrby?

This article talks about Beck needed to add bulk. That's pretty laughable because I have seen the pics of the QB's standing next to each other. Honestly, it's JT that needs to bulk up a little. Looks more like a choir boy than Beck does. But that just shows you it's as much as between the ears as it is the physique, as long as you can get the ball over the defensive linemen's heads most of the time.

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Last year was a freebie and Beck got to hand the ball off.....

• zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah I'm sure Kirby is real worried about what we all think. Especially the guy who won't take UGA "seriously" until he can be the coach. Lol!

• OKDAWG64OKDAWG64 Posts: 26 ✭ Freshman

I think we all know what happens when you change things wen up by only 14 pts. Whether it be going ultra conservative or a change at QB you hurt your own team. When you are up by 14 you need to keep your foot on the gas and make the lead 21. At 14 pts a lead is anything but safe and putting in an inexperienced QB could be a disaster (fumbled snap, interception, quick 3 and out, etc). These things also almost always throw off the rhythm of the starting QB and the momentum can quickly shift to the other team. The time to insert your #2 QB is late (3 minutes or less remaining) in games that you are up by 3 or more TD's. In practice the #2 should get a handful of snaps with the 1's. Go Dawgs and good luck to all our QB's as well as every other position. Let's hope we can put it all together in '21.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All I can say is that I am super excited to watch the QB competition begin in earnest this Spring. My bet is that Beck will end up being #2 simply because of his exceptional talent and year of gaining knowledge in Monken's offense. And I'd honestly like to see him get some serious consideration for the starting role IF it's warranted. Personally, I haven't anointed Daniels the assumed starter just yet.

When Bama torched us last season, Mac Jones was only getting the 7th start of his career. He developed and learned exclusively in a backup role for a long time. It paid off.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Felipe Franks was the starter in FLA until he got injured and then, "Oh, look what we have here sitting on the bench? Kyle Trask." Having seen both play repeatedly, you seriously have to wonder about Mullins. It only goes to prove that real playing time in meaningful situations shows you much much more than practices. I'm sure Franks was a killer in practice.

And so Mullins has to say the usual ,"well Trask has really grown"(in other words-I didn't think he was this good or I would have been starting him). Anyone remember the Falcons once had Brett Favre?. Remember how many QB's drafted ahead of Tom Brady? I'm telling you this is not an exact science, this QB choosing.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Iron sharpens iron, as they say. So let's see if QB play, sharpens QB play this spring. Let them all compete for that one position. Only one QB can be under center at one time. JT may be the assumed starter, but let it play out on the practice field.

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let's hope that Kirby gets over Stetson Bennett, and looks forward to these potential stars on the roster to take care if things if, God forbid" Daniels goes down. And, let's hope that we are through with sitting on a 14 point lead.

• savdawgsavdawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Carson beck should be the clear cut choice as back up qb. He had proven it on and off the field .