Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Metrics: Georgia's JT Daniels hottest returning quarterback in college football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,680 admin
edited March 2021 in Article commenting
imageMetrics: Georgia's JT Daniels hottest returning quarterback in college football

Metrics show Georgia quarterback JT Daniels set for historically good 2021 season with loaded receiving corps and offensive guru Todd Monken calling plays

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can't wait to see this offense in action.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Young JT has a ton of expectations riding on his shoulders. Allot of pressure. But I get the impression he’s one of those types that relish pressure and actually thrives in that kind of environment . I could be very wrong, sure wouldn’t be the first time. But I’ve got a gut feeling this guy is gonna show up BIG TIME and help lead our beloved Dawgs to long awaited Glory !! Goooo Dawgs !! Sic Em !!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken is the first OC at UGA in my memory that has virtually no detractors. Even when Bobo offenses were averaging 40+ points per game in a season, he wasn’t making many in DN happy.

If I had to guess, the last four national champions had offenses that were ahead of the defenses. If Kirby solves the DB question, we could have a great defense. Still, we need the offense to remain ahead and be even greater!

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

If the O Line can hold, we should be in good shape. Even if we stick with young guys in the D backfield.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pay no attention to these high-praise articles JT! You just keep busting your tail preparing yourself for the upcoming season! Championships don't come easy, and greatness never takes a day off! Let's go!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I rewatched highlights of the Peach Bowl game and it was very interesting for me to see the game again. First off, I had forgotten how it really was a comeback-win. Our offense looked good, but there were definitely mistakes made. Clearly Daniels has a very accurate and powerful arm, but if we are going to go close to all the way, small revisions become a big deal. For instance, it seemed like a lot of his long passes here high arching and the receivers were slowing down or even stopping to catch the ball. My assumption is that this is because he was compensating for the receivers who did well, but had some drops. He also needs to decide quicker on when to throw the ball away and NEVER attempt to make a pump-fake.

The pieces are there though and considering he wasn't on campus at spring + COVID restrictions + injury early on + not many games played, there is some real reason to be excited. The "big guy" Washington had some great plays as well.

Actual betting odds are available for Heisman from MGM and its interesting:

• #2 - Clemson QB (5/1)
    • #3 - Daniels (6/1)
    • #5 - Alabama QB (7/1)

They also have both Pickens and Zamier on the board at 100/1. Alabama has 2 more players OTB at 50/1 and Clemson has none. Florida has one player at 35/1.

I think if we can have quality play at WR and maybe a few TE, it should be impressive. Smart will get the D together but offense is everything now-adays. You just can't stop the top programs from scoring.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's a good point - it always seemed like our OC were "eh". I had always heard that Chaney was hired mainly to get Pittman who was the real star. Bobo produced good stats, but his play calling was indeed questionable at times and definitely boring and predictable. We never really got a chance to know Schottenheimer.

I haven't heard one negative thing about Monken and zero drama which is always nice.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who sets passing records his 1st 3 years in HS, leads his HS team to a win in the State championship, number 1 team in America and graduates a year early, then starts for USC when he's what? 18? Only 1 guy I know. Would like to know if any other HS QB has done that, ever?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2021

It's certainly exciting to see this hype for JT. I just hope he lives up to the billing.

Mike, you posted these stats a couple of days:

Personally, I don't like to look at stats too much as they usually don't tell the whole story. However, Bama and Clemson Total Offense rankings for '19 and '20 are #4 and #10 respectively for both seasons (per the NCAA info). I expect our offensive #s will have to improve dramatically going forward, and they should.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The (5) stars are lining up.....the excitement is building....the OL surpassing the DL so far this off season...JT Daniels is just getting warmed up....for what looks like it could be THE year.....just could be. And what a supporting cast. I can feel it already.....yes I can. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Please no hype about the offense. Remember last season, the transfer from Wake Forest was going to be the best QB in the SEC, and lead the Dawgs to glory. He left before even playing a game in the red and black. Let's keep it real, the potential may be there to have an explosive offense, as it's been proven you can't win it all without it, but I'll believe it when I actually see it. Still waiting since 1980 to win another Natty.