Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN lays out why Georgia can become 'the next Clemson'

SystemSystem Posts: 10,565 admin
edited March 2021 in Article commenting
imageESPN lays out why Georgia can become 'the next Clemson'

Clemson wasn't always the national title contender it currently is on annual basis. From 1990 to 2014, the Tigers had just a single finish in the top-10. Clemsoning used to very much be a thing, where the Tigers would blow a game to an opponent they shouldn't. But the signs were there that the Tigers were ready to

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2021

The talent is right there, in Athens. All that it needs is to get Coached Up. Coached Up! Bama and Clemson are doing that better than anybody else right now.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia will never be the "next Clemson." We are better than that!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Go Dawgs!! Beat clemson!!

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ski Clemson...

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This year is no different than the rest! The committee has mandated that Bama will make the playoffs even if they don’t win their division. The only difference this year for Clemson is they open with UGA before beginning their cakewalk through the All Cupcake Conference to the playoffs. As in all other years, that leaves two spots for the rest of D-1.

UGA will never be “the next Clemson” because they don’t get the benefit of playing in the ACC then facing a complete joke of a team to win their conference championship.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Between now and September 04, 2021, UGA needs to crack the Clemson code. If they put up a win over the Tigers, then the national writers will say Georgia is on it's way. If they lose, then the same writers will find endless fault with Kirby and his program, and declare he is still coming up short.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just win. Winning takes care of all the negatives. If we lose to Clemson, we will be behind the 8 ball. If we end up a 2 loss team our goose is cooked.

If we beat Clemson and lose to BAMA in the SEC our goose is cooked. If we lose to Clemson and win out we can get into the playoffs. But that's a sucky way to begin a season. And the chances IMO go down if Clemson wins. FLA, MISSOU, or BAMA will use the Clemson blueprint.

We just have to beat Clemson and win out. It's not all or nothing but close.

No matter how well we play in the regular season, there will always(foreseeable future) be BAMA to deal with in the SEC. We just have to beat BAMA and get that **** off our back.

Until we do, we are at the mercy of the talking heads.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not going to get my hopes up yet. I'm way to concerned about the inexperienced secondary and somewhat concerned about the O-line to put us in the championship right now. If we knock off Clemson in week 1, my concerns will go down like the tigers. As tommielee referenced, week 1 is ultra important. I know that a loss won't mathematically eliminate us but theoretically I think it pretty much will. These guys are going to need that swagger and as inexperienced as the secondary is, we may need that loss margin. 2 losses and you're out.

• Options
    Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman

As a 40+ year Dawg fan, I cringed when I saw the headline.

I don’t want nor care for my Dawgs to be the next Clemsux.

My Dawgs are in a better, tougher, stronger and more historic conference that churns out the best of the best players to the NFL in all three facets of the game.

I want my Dawgs to win the SEC championship every year and then everything else will take care of itself.

Those goals have absolutely nothing to do with the lousy ACC and Clemsux.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2021

We have the potential to be better than Clemson. Clemson has an easier path to the playoffs than we do, although they usually show that they belong in the playoffs when they get there. But we all know the SEC is a tougher conference than the ACC. We've got to get the Bama jinx off our backs. As I've said many times before, if Ole Miss (twice), Auburn (twice), Texas A&M, and LSU can all beat Bama over the last 9 years then so can the Dawgs.

We should cruise to the SEC Championship game. Win it and we're probably in the playoffs. Other than us beating ourselves and losing a game that we shouldn't, Oklahoma may be our biggest threat to making the playoffs in 2021. They should have the best team that they've had in years, and if they win the BIG 12 Championship then they may warrant a spot in the playoffs.

In the years to come, Kirby just needs to show he can be an elite coach. He's proven that he can bring in the talent, but his in-game decision making and development of players needs work.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2021

I mentioned Oklahoma in my comments below....funny thing is...Bleacher Report has Oklahoma beating the Dawgs in the Finals of a What-if 16-team playoff for 2021...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2935546-what-a-16-team-college-football-tournament-would-look-like-for-the-2021-season

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

MountainDawg

You are correct about everything you have said about Bama. Beating them is not easy and usually teams that do is because of some anomalies - kick 6; Johnny Manziel’s fumble TD pass, the batted ball 66 yard TD by Old Miss or because of a few key injuries to critical players.

Yes the potential is there to be better than Clemson. Last year by potential the dawgs were the best team in college football when you looked at the entire roster. The problem seems to be player development and team culture. To be the best these have to improve.

The potential is there now it just has to happen.

• Options
    Ga_fan1969Ga_fan1969 Posts: 34 ✭ Freshman

Ga needs to unleash both the defense and offense this season.

until they can play a complete game against Alabama....... a N C will be just out of reach