Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Branson Robinson: Nation's No. 1 RB breaks down "signs" pointing to UGA

SystemSystem Posts: 10,576 admin
edited March 2021 in Article commenting
imageBranson Robinson: Nation's No. 1 RB breaks down "signs" pointing to UGA

Rivals.com has Branson Robinson as the nation's No. 1 RB for the 2022 cycle. What does he really like about UGA? What are the many reasons why UGA is his top school? What are the "signs" he sees pointing him to play for the Bulldogs?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I see tremendous balance, a really quick and explosive first step, very good speed, a strong and active stiff arm, runs through tackles with power.

The weakness appears to be quick field vision. He does the same thing that cost Zamir negative yardage. He dances to much and you can't do that in the SEC. Herschel Walker had superior field vision, he would buy his time waiting for the lineman to open the crease by moving and when the smallest of creases would form, he would explode through them. Never saw Herschel stopping while squared up to the line, if he was square he was low and exploding. That is why he flat ran over and through people. This young man has that same explosion but is a little more like Emmitt Smith and that ain't bad!!!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Watched his Hudl tape. Solid straight line speed (a la Gurley), makes the first guy miss or runs through them (a la Chubb) incredible balance (a la Chubb, again), great vision in open field (like Michel) and has a nice dead leg move (a la Swift) he uses to hit cut back lanes to extend runs.

Agree with Tripp though, he could be a bit quicker to just find a crease and explode; but that develops with age for some backs and he still has another season to improve.

Could be an incredible addition to the UGA RB room. Kirby and Dell better get him!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A strong runner and enough shake and bake to look and wait for a hole to run through if it's not there immediately. May not be the fastest but gets to top speed quickly. One on one, forget about it, you're not going to bring him down.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia is the school of Walker, Chubb, Michel, Swift and White. This is where Branson Robinson needs to be. Go Dawgs

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2021

It's funny to me to read the comments below. I'm not saying I know any better about evaluating runningbacks, it's just that I came away with the exact opposite conclusion. The first attribute that jumped out at me was his patience in finding an opening, not just plowing into a pile of bodies. I can see the value in being decisive with the ball, but with his quickness and burst, he can afford to give the opening a chance to present itself. So I think that patience is a nice compliment to his physical talents that will allow him to go further than those talents alone; I found myself thinking "impressive vision." The first clip in the video above is a good example. He starts out looking to get to the edge, sees it isn't there, looks inside, makes a cut or two and the defense is toast. Maybe if I watched one of those 15 minute reels I would see some negative examples, but just going by this article that's the impression that I got.

Of course, the second quality that I noticed almost as immediately is ****, this kid does not want to be tackled.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That’s certainly another way to look at it. I think he can probably get away with that more in high school whereas in the SEC, hitting the hole generally has to happen quick. I’m sure there is a happy medium there thought. I guess I just saw some hesitation/lack of choosing a gap; but hopefully your right and he just has incredible patience for the right crease! He’s a great RB.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2021

I think an important thing to note (again, just from what I've seen) is that when he does see an opening, he didn't hesitate in attacking it. So I do think it is more patience than indecisiveness. And yes, the defenders he'll be going up against will be bigger, stronger and faster than what he's going up against in high school. But he'll keep developing, as well. I bet part of that development will be sensing when to shoot straight ahead and knowing when to apply that patience. But you can't use a tool you don't possess...

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2021

Robinson is my new favorite recruit. It will be a very, very good day when he commits to the G!

Dare I say it...He reminds me of Hershel Walker AND Nick Chubb!!!! His YAC numbers have got to be ridiculously high.

His timing to play at UGA could not be better in 2022. Our RB room will be ready for him.

Last thought, dude's squat technique could lead to a back problem if he continues to squat heavy with the form he showed in that short video.

Go Dawgs! Go Robinson! Commit the THE RBU.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Very well done Sentell!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Reminds me somewhat of Kenny Mc in the way he can scamper around the backfield til something pops open. Not every back can do that. Lot of backs are one cut runners, Zeus, Cook, MIlton, Chubb, but a few can be a little more patient knowing they can elude a guy or two, if need be. Good to have in your arsenal.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

So the question becomes is he the #1 running back or not. It does seem there could be any number of #1 running backs given the number of sites, publications, etc that rate high school players. I question this because one site ranks him as #1 but his composite ranking is 7. Regardless if he fits the offensive system, he would be a great get. If he does not fit, then his ranking has little meaning.