Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Buying or selling Georgia football issues: George Pickens makes the list

SystemSystem Posts: 10,513 admin
edited March 2021 in Article commenting
imageBuying or selling Georgia football issues: George Pickens makes the list

Georgia football has several ongoing issues that fans love to discuss year around, and this first buy-and-sell of the spring should spark more conversation

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's going to be interesting in how UGA uses it's group of receivers this fall. If Pickens does get 100 catches and surpasses 1,000 yds. Then some of the receivers are going to pout because there is only one ball, and they will start to feel it's there time to shine also.

• Options
    ConcernedConcerned Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

First of all, I enjoy and agree with most of your opinions, Mike.

I live in Birmingham and listen to you every Monday on JOX.

However, I do not agree with you on one point...I think we should keep the game in Jacksonville.

Obviously, based on our recruiting rankings, we are doing just fine. Georgia has finished in the top for the last 5 years...maybe evaluation is more of a problem than access.

The game was intended to reward the fans of South Georgia with closer proximity. Now that most games are late afternoon or evening (and Athens requires a 2 night minimum at around $1000 a night), this might be one of the few games these people can make.

This is one of only 2 big games played at a neutral site, adding the national prestige of the game. This game has been a pre-season CBS selection for more consecutive years than any other SEC game.

Although I grew up a Georgia fan, I went to numerous Alabama v Auburn games at Legion Field. While I understand from Auburn's standpoint why the game had to be moved, the game - however big it might be - lost its uniqueness.

As a Georgia fan, I go to less games in person than I used to attend; however, if I have only one game to go to each year, I am going to Jacksonville. I would not be saying that about the game if I had to go to Gainesville every other year.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree - feast or famine with WRs. Feasting right now. Too many on the chart that should be starting. I mean, just having Jackson, Burton, and Blaylock in the slot . . . will one or two targets per game be enough for them? If we spread, maybe another sees the same play, but #0 is not missing any 5 wide looks.

Also, Anderson in coverage . . . not buying or selling. Think I would hedge the bet there. Would rather see him bend the end where he is so good.

Last, I still McIntosh is the best RB in the room. Milton is great, too, but I just recommend pumping the brakes before naming him RB1.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Love this article. Thank you Mike!

I agree on every point, I now trust you to manage my portfolio.

I will rejoice the day we don't re-up the Jacksonville scam. I guarantee the Gator fans will be upset when that day arrives. Playing the orange swamp rats every other year in Athens makes COMPLETE sense.

Three most important players on this team: 1. Jordan Davis, 2. JT 3. The breakout DB (unknown).

• Options
    SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Time to say goodbye to Jacksonville! Would it be possible to bring it back every 3rd year after each team has a home game in the series? Every 3 years still ensures that every player will have the opportunity to play in Jax, assuming they stay at least 3 years. Just a thought.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No truer words have been written than the take an the “now or never concept.”

The UGA offense is going to keep some DCs up at night as long as JT stays healthy! Not even Bama has had such an array of talented and diversely skilled receivers of every ilk and a stable of running backs that run the gamut from the speed of a jaguar to the stoutness of a Sherman tank. Add to that an OL that has several future all SEC, if not All American players and this year and the future has never been brighter for DN!

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2021

"Now or never" is ridiculous. Yes, we should have a great year, but it's not now or never this year. Just look at our recruiting. We are here to stay and will be in the NC conversation for years to come. I anticipate a #1 class this year. This year's class could get a big boost this Thursday, let's hope. Go DAWGS!!!

• Options
    WR_Dawgs_Fan88WR_Dawgs_Fan88 Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

This is what I'm buying for the 2021 season:

#1.) The Special Teams Units - Cochran and Company should be primed for an excellent season with Pod, JC, and a host of athletic players ready to contribute on their coverage and return units...

#2.) The DL and front bringing the pain - Idk if UGA has EVER had this much talent starting on their DL since I was born, (1988). It isn't just on Walker to have a big season, he will have PLENTY of help. Walker, Jalen Carter, Jordan Davis, Wyatt, Nolan Smith, Adam Anderson, Robert Beal, MJ Sherman, and they'll even have Dean, Walker, and especially Tindall bringing it from up the middle. That's not even counting guys like Logue, Stackhouse, Walthour, Norton, Sorey, Mondon, nor Chambliss...Among others I'm probably even still forgetting...lol It is ABSURD!!

#3.) WEAPONS GALORE!! - JT Daniels and Todd Monken have an absolute abundance of weapons to choose from this year. He won't have to throw it deep to make the big chunk, explosive plays this year. All Daniels is going to need to do is just distribute the ball to his plethora of weapons, sit back, and watch his stats pile up!! Pickens, Burton, Blaylock, Arian Smith, Jackson, Rosemy-Jacksaint, Washington, Bowers, Fitzpatrick, etc. That isn't even including his backs out of the backfield that are electric catching the ball back there in James Cook, K.Milton, McIntosh, some Zeus, and Edwards, they're all capable of making plays in the passing game...

#4.) The future giant bookends on the OL - Mims and Jones can only be held off the field at LT and RT for so long. It won't be long before these two are giving JTD all day to hit his targets and allowing for plays to develop down field, if need be. With Jones, Salyer, VanPran, Ratledge/Shaffer, and Mims this UGA OL could really be something special, and they could truly impose their will on their opponents game in and game out!! Even their backup line of Truss, Webb/Morris, Ericson, Shaffer/Ratledge, and McClendon I would be arrite with, and feel they wouldn't hold this offense back...

#5.) The development and growth of Kirby Smart as a head coach - Kirby tends to get a bad rap for only some small mistakes he's made throughout the years..However, because of all of his success he is held to such a high standard and has us, as UGA fans, completely and absolutely SPOILED ROTTEN!! If we are going to hate on him for not developing guys, for mismanagong his in-game decisions, and just for being a stubborn "old-school, ra-ra" coach, then we should start acknowledging all the growth Kirby has shown throughout the years!!

#6.) The emergence of Kelee Ringo - Ringo is going to be a star at UGA, it is only a matter of time and him gaining some valuable on-field experience..