Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia basketball power forward Toumani Camara enters NCAA transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,508 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia basketball power forward Toumani Camara enters NCAA transfer portal

Georgia basketball power forward Toumani Camara entered the NCAA transfer portal, the third player to leave the team since the end of last season

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t let the door hit you on your way out. Whatever happened to being committed to something?

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

What is going on with the basketball team? It has been a lot of turnover with the players entering the transfer portal. Is Crean not the coach we need? Maybe he should recruit kids who has patient and wants to be at Georgia. I am ok if a kid is not happy at the school where he or she is playing, but the transfer portal is very loose and need some restrictions.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Musical chairs is the future of college sports if/when the one time, immediate transfer eligibility rule change goes through. You want college football program stability? Enforce the current rules where everyone sits out a competition season after transfer. I believe players might not be as susceptible to being fooled by the grass is always greener lie. I am still trying to figure out how a free year of education, tuition, tutors, training table, work out facility, physical and mental maturing, honing your skills, coaching, etc is a bad thing?

• Options

I think professional sports is playing a part in these decisions as well. Every athletic is trying to get to the league. I think a kid should fullfil their recruitment obligation. Just like a 18 year old who signed up to join the military. Schools should offer a 3 or 4 years scholarship and the kids have to stay those three or four years

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@GaBoi69, Kids should be able to go pro in the major sports when they turn 18 especially since they are able to go to the military at 18 and possibly get deployed to a conflict zone at 18 and possibly get shot at or bombed. If we will allow them to make that life altering decision at 18, surely we can let them make a decision about pro sports.

Let them go pro at 18 but if they go to college they must stay a minimum of 3 years. Why are high school aged kids allowed to play tennis professionally? I know the physical demands are different from other sports but so is the military at 18.

• Options

Mike, do you have any idea what is going on at UGA with Camara? I can understand kids who leave in search of more playing time but he was a two year starter who definitely improved between his freshman and sophomore season. I am really surprised by this and with Fagan although for different reasons. Fagan is not a reliable shooter and he production thus far would have been the same if Gregg Popovich was his coach. Could Camara and Fagan not see for themselves that they both need to improve their ball handling and and shooting?

I don't know that Crean doesn't develop players because I distinctly remember Oladipo as an athletic freshman who scored mainly in transition to a junior who shoot, dribble, pass, and defend on a HIGH level. Dwayne Wade and the Zeller kid improved under Crean. Is Crean and the culture he has created the problem? Why didn't the Kessler kid sign out of high school and now that he's in the portal, why has he not come "home". Why are the majority of the top players in the state not coming to UGA, still? We know it can be done because Hugh Durham and Tubby Smith recruited the state well with inferior facilities compared to what's there now. UGH!!!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In the topsy-turvy world of today, hardly anyone is committed or has patience. Schools averaging 3 athletes entering the tranfer portal per year now is just a mess. Makes it a lot harder for coaches to build teams. Roy Williams just hung up his coaching for good, he will be missed. The only basketball coach to win over 400 games at two different universities.

• Options
    edited April 2021

@KBP, First of all I did not say they should not go pro. Next time you want to make a comment on my post. Make sure you read what was said. I am talking about obligation and commitment. How the transfer portal has become a way out. Plus the inconsistency with when a kid can turn pro throughout the different sports. And I know about obligation and commitment, considering I join the military at 18 and fought in my first of many wars at the age 20 throughout my 21 years career.

• Options

@GaBoi69, Maybe you should read my post too because nowhere did I state nor imply you were against kids going pro. I should have made more clear that I was agreeing with your statement that "professional sports is playing a part in these decisions as well". I believe as a result of that kids should be able to go pro without the restrictions that the NFL and NBA imposes, especially since they can go to the military as a teenager.

If you want to play the obligation and commitment card on NCAA Football and Basketball athletes, have the Coaches lead the way. Coaches under contract had have a transfer portal for multiple decades and it is the next job offer. The vast majority of the athletically elite kids sign with schools because of the coaches more so than the school itself. If that were not true, there would be no need for recruiting but after a kid has signed, many times the Coach enters the Coach's transfer portal and leaves the kid behind.

• Options

@KBP, I do apologize. I didn't know that is what you were saying. We both are in agreement. I always felt the student athletes should be able to leave a school without sitting out a season. I think it is only fair that if a coach leave a program and it is not for a higher position, then that coach shouldn't be able to recruit before the season start. Sometimes coaches hurt programs just as much as the kids in the transfer portal. With college basketball, it is hard to follow and support a program with one and done players. I remember the days when players stayed in the program longer.