Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football report card: Bulldogs well-coached, working to become dynamic

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football report card: Bulldogs well-coached, working to become dynamic

Georgia football looked like a well-drilled team on offense and defense in the annual G-Day Game at Sanford Stadium on Saturday

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman
    edited April 2021

Gave up 6 sacks ✔️

Had 3 false start penalties ✔️

No RB’s broke a run longer than 10 yards ✔️

You grade OL out as a C

Were you grading them on a curve?

Asking for a friend. 🤦‍♂️

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds about right.

Expectations of a crisp performance in a spring game would I think be premature (and I'd guess you agree), but the team looked disciplined and well drilled, both very good signs in the spring game.

The route tree seemed a lot more utilized than it sometimes has in the past as did all three components - WR, TE, RB - of the receiving corps. There was a great deal of potential explosiveness in the passing game in my opinion.

Is our 2021 team in the RBU tradition? That remains to be seen, but I would not rule it out. Much depends on improvements in the OL and in downfield blocking by the receivers. As we know, Kirby in unlikely to neglect emphasis on that part of the receiver role.

Without being critical of the running backs, and we certainly are blessed with a bunch of good ones, are any of them great? I think two are three are within range, but that extra step isn't there yet. Frankly, I think we can have a great offense with a stable of very good, very competent running backs, but we have to have some ability to break long runs.

Jordan Davis is, as I see it, the most important player on our team with the possible exception of the quarterback. It's disturbing to understand why Kirby has challenged him to get in the best shape of his life. Maybe he should hang out more with Mr. Washington who looks to have undergone a massive transformation since his freshman year?

I'd give the defensive backfield an incomplete, but there looks to be plenty of potential, and a ton of talent. Will it gel?

For the most part the team looked extremely well conditioned, fluid, strong, fast, and disciplined. We're taking for granted the extremely high level of talent Kirby has brought to Athens. Few team have any chance to be as good as our spring game teams. How many could beat either our red team or our black team? Not many, but it's the ones that could we're all concerned with.

How much improvement does the team have to make to beat Clemson on opening day? I'd say a significant amount, but it's certainly not a hopeless project.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Offensive Line (D). If we don't get the line figured out, we will lose big to Clemson. Period.

Not one of our, as I recall, five five-stars played on the fist team offense. Seriously? And, where was Jamaree Salyer?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What concerned me most... two major things: The OL was literally back-peddled into the QB! Not once...time and again. I was a bit shocked. JT was vulnerable. Fix that or UGA is in for some trouble. Secondly, what happened to the break-away RBU running backs? I kept watching.....nothing....here and there a solid sprint but nothing, really, just ROM performance. I did enjoy watching Kendall Milton dragging his tacklers that one time. The RBs were taken down too quickly? Was it just G-Day jitters...not wanting to get hurt? Really. Kelee Ringo took out Ladd McConkey....what a hit. He is coming off injury as well. Ringo is going to be a star!! Kearis, I agree, is still not 100%. On and on....I agree mostly with the assessments. Oh yeah, Jake Camarda needs to stick with punting. He is not a FG kicker....way wide on a couple. Podlesny looked pretty good.

Team Overall...B+

• Options
    Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman

@Dawg365 and @UGA66

Both clear cut assessments about the way the O-line performed yesterday.

Yet purveyors of this site come on here and down-vote or get upset because the obvious is pointed out.

This site has become a tad stale and non-stimulating when it comes to talking about things Dawg-football related.

If you do not post some obtuse rose-colored opinion about the Dawgs then 👎👎👎.

I am disappointed that our team doesn’t have a site that brings out some in-depth and stimulating conversation about Dawg football for college football fans that really know their stuff when it comes to game knowledge and how to play it..

This site just doesn’t seem to be it.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn't understand the hit on Ladd. It was gratuitous IMO. You're not trying to level your fellow player. You hurt a WR who may weigh 175 and he gets injured then what the heil were you thinking? You just thinned an already thin receiving corps. We're trying to win a championship, quit trying to make a statement. You just showed me you an idiot.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

It will be interesting to see how all these highly rated offensive linemen develop during fall camp. What type season this will be will depend as much on this unit as any other.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, this is a very accurate and balanced assessment. I find that the grades for once the season start seem to be magnified: overly good when we pull off a win (even a last minute win) and overly critical when we lose.

Once again, we can't match a superstar QB with a superstar WR. Elite WRs always seem out of our reach: I get that it's RBU, but starting last year with Monken + big QB Transfers + Vandagriff + Stockton signing, we should've had big interest from big recruits and WR transfers.

I'm still very excited about the upcoming season and didn't bother to watch Bama's nor Clemson's spring games, so I can't compare but I do worry that we'll be missing those big plays again because of bobbling by receivers. Those plays are often the difference between Ws and Ls. Bama and Clemson make those plays. Everytime.