Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football podcast: UGA fans roll their eyes at Lane Kiffin’s jab at Kirby Smart

SystemSystem Posts: 11,029 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football podcast: UGA fans roll their eyes at Lane Kiffin’s jab at Kirby Smart

Georgia football is the No. 1 topic every day on DawgNation Daily — the daily podcast for Georgia Bulldogs fans. Catch up on everything happening with UGA athletics with host Brandon Adams and the DawgNation experts as they break down the latest Georgia football recruiting news and discuss coach Kirby Smart’s quest to return the Bulldogs to the top of the SEC. On episode No. 1,467 (June 22, 2021) of the podcast, Georgia fans can hear a discussion about what Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin tweeted about Georgia coach Kirby Smart.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do think that the NIL and other changes coming to college sports is long overdue. I totally agree with Kavanaugh's statement that the NCAA is making millions off the backs of players and offering no compensation. Unheard of really...kind of surprised that it has taken this long. The NCAA has no legs to stand on any longer and needs to do what is right for the athletes.

Concerning what the 'winning formula' is when it comes to college football...I have to say that Saban has been light years ahead of every other team for many years now. Sure, Bama recruits great talent, but I believe it's simply the winning attitude, the belief that you are the best that defines Bama football. That belief permeates the entire program. To me, that is the biggest difference between Bama and all other programs. I mean, Bama has to replace coaches almost annually so it isn't better coaching in that sense that makes Bama the BEST. And development can only take you so far. Recruit the best players and put them in the best winning program.

Concerning the Blue-Chip ratio....if Georgia is sitting in 2nd place among all Power 5 programs and on Bama's heels at 80% (Bama is at 84%), does it beg to ask WHY haven't the Dawgs won a Natty yet? What's been missing? Heck, you've got Clemson at 67%. Nearly half of SEC programs meet the national-title BC% level, with 6 conference teams finishing among the national top-11. BC% remains an excellent national metric, but in the SEC, elite talent CLUSTERS are the prerequisite to conference supremacy. As the 247 article mentions, more and more teams will probably be getting to the national-title BC% level in the coming years which will make some of the competition better. Add that fact to the new landscape of NIL, etc. and the even fiercer college competition that will bring, and I would say the next 3-5 years in college football will bring the biggest earth shattering change to ever hit the game.

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 390 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don’t think we are rolling our eyes, if anything it’s nice that a coach is having fun with other coaches in the league. It’s a good change from the serious Saban tree of coaches we have who never seem to have fun. I mean hate him all you want, but you have to miss spurrier sometimes and his crazy antics and quotes.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

MountainDwag. You raise an interesting question about winning a NC or not winning a NC.

Saban has created a culture at Bama that Kirby has been unable to do to this point. You see it in lot’s of little ways like players not opting out, to players returning to improve their draft position and improve the team, to player commitment and development. In the time Saban has been the HC he has had 47 assistance coaches leave his staff, which averages about 3 per year yet he manages to put a very competitive team on the field year in and year out. Most of these coaches move to better positions.

I feel this is Kirby’s year. Everything lines up for him to break through. I hope I am correct because going forward it will become more difficult.

• PowerGwoodsPowerGwoods Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Hope this makes Coach Smart even more hungry for a National Championship! Keep pouring gas on the fire! It will just make the victory more sweet!

GOOO DAWGS!

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Now that college athletics have invited the Federal Government to join in the fun of paying/compensating football players, what you are about to witness is the beginning of the end of college athletics. It begins with the unique talent of everyone in DC of spending OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY. And it ends with the current party in power's bleeding hearts, which can only be healed by taking money from one big earner and giving to a non earner. The idea that this congress will permit a college football player to make X amount on his name and likeness, while a girl softball player will make zero dollars, well, that just ain't gonna happen. Somebody will need to provide an equal sum to the girl, for any of this to pass muster. "Somebody" being each University. And congress worry about the cost? Lol, you seen our national debt lately? Nobody in the world spends a $trillion it doesn't have as fast as politicians in the Beltway. Asking Congress about all of this should have been a last resort. Too late now. They will gladly show the NCAA what it better do, starting day one. It's Title lX all over again...

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You make some good points @MontanaDawg . As I've said before, and will say forever, the narrative and course of the University of Georgia football program (including the legacy of HC Kirby Smart) would have been permanently altered to a University of Alabama-like trajectory if not for that fateful 2nd and 26. Make that one play, win that one game, and I am absolutely convinced that people -- from the media to other coaches to recruits to fans -- would be talking about dominance of Georgia now instead of Alabama. People will say, "get over it," or "move on," but every summer, we find ourselves chasing and talking about what 'Bama already has -- both on and off the field. And until we actually win a NC, that play will remain the most significant play in UGA history since Belue-to-Scott in 1980. Go Dawgs!

• Dawg01Dawg01 Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

Smart and Kippin are good friends... He was just having a little fun with Kirby. No reason to be butt-hurt over this at all...