Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Paul Finebaum: Great expectations for Georgia, predicts Clemson game, foresees SEC title tilt

SystemSystem Posts: 10,528 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
imagePaul Finebaum: Great expectations for Georgia, predicts Clemson game, foresees SEC title tilt

ATHENS — Georgia football will be returning to the No. 1 ranking in the nation after the opening week of the season according to SEC Network analyst Paul Finebaum.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Even if we beat Clemson, UGA won't get the #1 ranking(not that it matters) but the pundits will still say UGA has some "things to iron out" or "some question marks", or some "holes to fill" on the defense, etc.. meanwhile BAMA lost 8 of the top 38 players taken in this years draft. Nothing to "iron out" there though.

Think about that, almost one out of every 4 of the first 38 players chosen this year were from BAMA. Is that not a record?

And yet the pundits will say that "BAMA just reloads". And there is truth to that. We do too. The problem is BAMA has reloaded and won multiple NC. We have reloaded and won 1 SEC under CKS, and had a "close but no cigar"- "shoulda-coulda " NC.

Time to change the narrative.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with pretty much all you said. I just hope we change the narrative against Clemson. If not, we have to win out to make the playoffs--as we have pretty much every year of Smart's tenure. It would be nice to see our team go out and execute in that first game.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with Finebaum. We actually should be favored in the game against Clemson or at worst even spread. However, the oddsmakers may not agree based on our past letdowns. On paper, we have more talent than Clemson at the most crucial spots. The game will probably come down to 3 things: QB play, who controls the line of scrimmage, and turnovers.

• Options
    Ga_fan1969Ga_fan1969 Posts: 34 ✭ Freshman

The dawgs need to play all four quarters full throttle.

it will be interesting who makes the better half time adjustments.

• Options
    SportsFan10601SportsFan10601 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

I agree with Paul Finebaum.. This the Dawgs year. In previous years since Coach Kirby Smart's arrival, Georgia best chance at winning the National Championship was the 2017 year, which was cut short in a stunning loss to Alabama with only seconds left on the clock. Georgia dominated the Alabama Crimson Tide almost four complete quarters of the game, and was inching in to win the National Championship only to be cut short by a Nick Saban's Crimson Tide with seconds left on the clock, stunning the Bulldogs to lose to Alabama. If there any team that Georgia plays well against, it is the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Kirby Smart's Georgia Bulldogs give Nick Saban's Crimson Tide

fits. They seem to keep Alabama on their Toes. Georgia have to understand that

the game is played for 4 quarters, and not 3.75 or 3.90 quarters. Giving up a

tad bit of a few seconds will allow Alabama to get back in the game with

momentum, and beat you. The previous years under Coach Kirby Smart the Dawgs

can get there but can't seem to win the big one. It is in my opinion, that

Georgia has now ironed out it's kinks, and will be a serious contender to win

it all this Fall 2021 Football Season.

The Bulldogs is loaded on both sides of the ball. You could

never count out the Dawgs Defense and now the Offense looks to be right on

point. It has been in the past that in the SEC, Defense was the common

denominator to win Championships. But if I can remember, that is in the past.

That LSU Tigers team of Ed Orgeron 2020 National Championship team in my

opinion change the fabric of the game. That LSU Team dominated both sides of

the ball, and that year no one could beat them. It seems as if 2021 Alabama

Crimson Tide Football mirrored the same image of LSU beating everyone in its

path convincingly winning the National Championship. Now it appears that the

Georgia Bulldogs now have the same talent on both sides of the ball as did LSU

and Alabama.

While the majority of the Sports Media like USA Today, Bleacher

Report, Sportsnet, and other sports media having Clemson as No.1 in Pre-Season

Rankings earlier this year, I believe that Georgia will beat the Clemson Tigers

in the opening Game, and from there rise to being the No. 1 team in the

Country. I also believe that Georgia will run the tables in the regular season

beating every team including Florida, Auburn, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky and

win the S.E.C. East, then play in my prediction against either Alabama or Texas

A&M to win the S.E.C. Championship. It is also my prediction that Georgia

will enter the College Playoff winning it all and play for the National

Championship. Georgia will become the 2021-2022 NCAA Football National

Champions.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

It remains a two game season - Clemson and the SECCG. There are lots of different paths to the CFP. What cannot happen is to lose two games. This year may be the best opportunity Kirby has in several years going forward.

• Options
    WesdgWesdg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

First thing: Finebaum is a Bama homer first, SEC second.

With that being said......Clemson has a better QB. JT is immobile. UGA has more exp at OLine. Clemson has a better DLine. Secondary's are BOTH unknown at this point. UGA holds the edge @ RB. Wide receivers are BOTH questionable. Sorry, Clemson holds the edge in coaching as well.

I see this coming down to JT vs DJ.

• Options
    SportsFan10601SportsFan10601 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

@Wesdg Dawgs will beat Clemson. No doubt about it.