Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

PFF analyst down on JT Daniels, ranks Georgia quarterback 23rd in nation, 6th in SEC

SystemSystem Posts: 11,048 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
imagePFF analyst down on JT Daniels, ranks Georgia quarterback 23rd in nation, 6th in SEC

ATHENS — The most dynamic entertainers and athletes are often among the most polarizing, and Georgia quarterback JT Daniels is apparently no different.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I tend to agree with the general PFF analysis of Daniels and have been hesitant in numerous posts previously to crown him the best QB of the SEC for 2021.

As the PFF states...

" As a true freshman at USC in 2018, Daniels ranked 118th at the position in PFF grade, 127th in turnover-worthy play rate and 129th in PFF Wins Above Average generated. He looked like the same player in the 2019 opener before tearing his ACL. Daniels then transferred to Georgia and didn't see the field until Week 12 of 2020 due to both the rehab process and other players ahead of him on the depth chart, but he looked remarkably better.

Against Mississippi State that night, he earned a 95.0 PFF grade and made six big-time throws. Yet, Daniels earned just a 68.5 passing grade in his other three outings, including four turnover-worthy plays against Cincinnati in the Peach Bowl.

Daniels did look like a more polished quarterback in 2020 compared to his USC days, but any Heisman or top-five quarterback talk is still premature. While he appeared more comfortable, his pocket presence was still less than ideal, he put the ball in harm’s way and his accuracy waned despite a high completion percentage.

Until Daniels shows he can come close to replicating his outing against Mississippi State, he’s not in the top-tier quarterback conversation. "

I don't really agree with JT being set as low as #23 (and Bryce Young at #22? C'mon...). Spencer Rattler is #1 for a reason. He could take the Sooners all the way. Sam Howell and Matt Corral are also top contenders.

I need to see more from JT this year including better mobility, accuracy, and decision making. I'm hoping this offseason for JT & the work with his receivers has proven as beneficial as advertised, and that the time under Monken will show his excellence this season. I'd love to see major improvements, sure-fired confidence, increased mobility, and moxie when JT takes the field in Charlotte. Let's see him take command of the offense and show everyone what he can really do.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Treash sounds like a complete idiot as far as QB's go. He had Newman rated as the nations No. 3 QB, he never played a down in 2020. He had Mac Jones of Alabama rated No. 24, and Florida's Kyle Trask No. 48.

• ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 182 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just another joker with an opinion. Play on the game time turf is all that matters. Don't leave it on the field.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Alright, glad to hear this load of nothing. Whether JT turns out to be the 1st QB taken next year or somewhere down the line, one thing is for sure. Stuff like this will light a fire under his *%. Bulletin board material.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2021

I would add to the caveats in gaging how seriously to take this guy's assessment that Daniels was a 17 year old who should have been playing his senior year in high school, playing in a disorganized program at USC. Not exactly a recipe for success regardless of individual ability. I also find it funny that his critics will point to the Cincinnati game - 68% for roughly 400 yards and a game-winning drive against a respected defense - as a reason to doubt him. I mean...

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After Treash’s analysis of QB’s last year, how does he still have a job this year much less be taken seriously?

• SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

PFF is a friggin joke and have been for years. Trash is especially egregious in his misses and lack of logic. He cherry picks stats to for his viewpoint. Will never find me or my many friends visiting their pages. Seems obvious why the Dawg beat writers do so.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Helps when Rattler and Howell both play in WEAK conferences, with little to very little competition on a consistent basis. Who does the big 12 have besides oklahoma? And the acc is weak other than Clemson and occasionally north Carolina and Virginia fielding decent teams. Miami, fsu, gt, wake Forest, NC state, and the rest of the acc have been very little competition the past few years. Corral I can understand, he's shown what he can accomplish against SEC Defenses, but he still has moments where he looks like he's still a High School QB, with his poor on field decisions, and his accuracy.

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is good...The opposite of Rat Poison.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Matt Jones at 24 and Kyle Trask at 48 says it all. This guy wouldn't know a QB if one fell on him. On the bright side he has JTD rated higher than Jones and Trask last year. We have all seen JTD and know he is a player. UGA's big challenge will be to keep him clean.

• mark34mark34 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Didn't Treash play Alfafa in The Little Rascals?

• FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you are looking back, you are going to run into something. Look up Michael Jordan. Judge J.T. after the season. GO DAWGS!

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is it too soon to crown Daniels a legit Heisman candidate: Yes and No. No, because of his small sample size. To be a legit Heisman candidate he will have to put up the numbers week in and week out. 4- games is not enough.

Yes, because he's already proven to be at least a top 10 QB by any reasonable standard and he's backed up by what has the real potential to be an elite offense. Every position group is stacked with all American candidates and plenty of depth.

Daniels has earned much more respect than to be ranked No.23, but I would rather see him ranked No.23 at this point than No.2.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Daniels actually had put up 'Very Good Numbers' before his injury (in his last game) with USC. It was the first game of the season.

"Daniels looked mostly sharp before his injury against the Bulldogs, going 25 of 34 for 215 yards and a touchdown, but also throwing a goal-line interception." 25 of 34 for 215 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT with 27 seconds left in the 1st half.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MontanaDawg it seems your analysis is once again is not fully appreciated. The on going discussion is a lot like last year with Newman. JT is viewed as a significant upgrade over Bennett and in some ways he is but in other ways he is not. It will be interesting to see how he performs for the entire year. My biggest concern is he will get hurt.