Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Todd Monken, Matt Luke hold keys to improving Georgia offense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,669 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
imageTodd Monken, Matt Luke hold keys to improving Georgia offense

Todd Monken and Matt Luke are both entering their second seasons with the program.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Some of the 4 and 5 star recruits on the OL, seemed to struggle against a good defensive scheme., such as Miss. State and Cincinnati had against the Dawgs last season. If UGA want's to proclaim itself as RBU, less than 150 yds. of yardage on the ground proves otherwise. Last season Alabama had a very good passing scheme in every game, and their running attack was still outstanding also. UGA might open up the passing game, but they still have to run the ball. I have heard terms describe an OL for the Dawgs such as a Road Grader, if it's true prove it. When the RB's struggle to find a few yards per rush in a game, it is because the Road Graders are playing with a dull blade.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 369 ✭✭✭ Junior

I went back and watched the G-Day game again and the O-line really struggled when the D-line stunted. There were a couple of times when Jordan Davis was rushing at JT, unblocked after pealing off a line stunt, that would have made me wet my pants if he was coming at me. As it was, it forced JT into hurried throws and incompletions (not that he had to worry about getting blown up by his own teammate at G-Day thankfully). However, there are going to be other QB's in the conference that won't be so lucky this year. The Dawgs have a top notch D-line this year and I can't wait to see it in action. However, the O-line still has several miles to go to match the level of play of their teammates across the line. Come on Coach Luke! I am predicting big things in year 2 of his tenure. If he ever wants to get another HC position, turning this unit into one of the top ones in college football will go a long way to getting him his next job. With all the talent he has to work with, one would think it is just a matter of time...

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

While I am really happy with our RBs and Daniels, Najee Harris was the best player in CFB last year, Mac Jones was a beast, and the Heisman winner was one of three dominant WRs . . . a position that rarely dominates. It is not even a close comparison. Certainly, OL has a big impact on the play of all of the offense, but there is a difference between 2020 Alabama and pretty much all of CFB ever.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

To have an opportunity to win a NC the O-line must be one of the very best. Both Bama and LSU O-lines won the Joe Moore award the year they won their NC’s. The question facing this year’s team is just how good will this O-line be? Kirby has recruited lots of highly rated linemen so it would seem it is going to be a matter of development. It is going to come down to coaching and culture. Clemson will tell us a lot about both. Here I am only referring to O-line play and not necessarily other aspects of the game.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think replacing Pickens is Monken's biggest challenge. I don't think any particular player is. Bobo averaged more than 37 pts with lesser talent than we'll field this season. Lincoln Riley could average 40 ppg easily with our offensive roster, probably considerably more. Monken himself is the biggest key, how good is he ? The offensive baseline has changed radically in a few short years. We can't just be pretty good on offense and challenge Bama, Clemson, OSU and Oklahoma, we have to be very good.