Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Many (but not all) Dawgs fans are ready to believe this season

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
imageMany (but not all) Dawgs fans are ready to believe this season

I wasn’t particularly surprised that the AJC’s Mark Bradley named the Dawgs as his pick for this year’s national championship winner in his annual pigskin picks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 276 ✭✭✭ Junior

Injuries, leadership, and esprit de corp are likely to have as much influence on the championship as coaching and raw talent. My gut tells me it is more likely to be the Oklahoma Sooners this year, but the Dawgs could surprise us.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"They’ve been burnt so many times, they’re afraid to believe."

This is it essentially. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me... 40 times, well I'll believe it when I see it. I still will cheer em on and get excited. But it's never a national title or bust for me. That's just asking for a lot of let down.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I only worry about our next opponent.

Everything else is Rat Poison.

That said, we'll go undefeated and win it all. I never expect less when adjusting the offseason crown.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Ga_fan1969Ga_fan1969 Posts: 34 ✭ Freshman

In my opinion. The biggest obstacle Ga has is ourselves. We have had bamas number for three quarters only to lose.

the staff needs to stop being conservative and play lights out the whole game!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m taking the I guess easy coward’s way out.😀 I’m gonna Believe until they show me on the field of play a legit reason why I shouldn’t believe. I Believe that this years Dawgs are just as good if not Better than any team in college football and that includes Bama. At this particular juncture I don’t have a legit reason Not to Believe in This years Dawgs team. Last year and all the preceding years are just that. And I Believe that there’s no one on the face of God’s earth that want it any More than Kirby Smart, his staff. and his team. Now Go Do It !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe the best label for me is hopeful realist. I don't see why we can't win a title this season, but I see about 4 really good teams in our path and not much of a track record in Monken's offense, at least not much success. The good news is we did get good results with Daniels at QB late last season . We didn't yet have the prolific numbers it will likely take to beat these proven offenses and win 3 or 4 games against them, but there is obviously room for growth.

Looking at our situation going into this season from a detached view point, I don't see us as THE obvious favorite, but I do see the potential to win it all.

• Options
    LDawgLDawg Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What's to believe? As long as the team stays healthy (especially at QB) this team can go up against any team in the country and be competitive. with a good chance to win. CKS has built a perennially competitive team. That is all any fan base can ask. As long as Saban is at AL recruiting #1 classes the odds will be even: Saban/AL vs the field. I will take my chances with this team against anybody.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

When I look at the schedule and roster unlike some of the Ray Goff and Mark Richt teams, I don't see a team on the schedule that is unbeatable. We have to catch some breaks with the injuries and some guys need to step up and play to the top of their talent level. The coaches also need to prepare and coach up to their salary levels.

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2021

Came down to attending the Citadel or UGA as a freshman in '81. Chose UGA fully expecting another natty after just coming off one. Saw Herschel strolling around campus, Buck on the bus, and had Kevin B. in a class or two. Stormed the field at Auburn, witnessed Dan Marino's skill set in New Orleans. Some **** mighty fine teams since then (and awful ones, too). However, if you're a long time UGA fan, you know to temper optimism. Too many heartaches tempers the spirit. Still, definitely looking forward to some good ball this year.

..... still waiting to get that National Champs t-shirt before I die. (UGA '85).

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

There is as much hype about this season as there was about the 2008 season when ranked as the preseason #1. It is good to buy into the hype but one must also accept the fact there is the real probability that reality is going to strike at some point. When it does the question becomes how does the coaches, the players and the fans respond.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia football is the equivalent of the Red Sox from 1919-2003. Painfully close, but can’t get over the hump at the very end. And in a way, I’m proud of it. It’s romantic. Only one fan base in the country knows what it’s like to be Georgia fans. We are the only elite program without a national title in four decades. We’ve had our hearts broken so many times. In a way, we’re special. Take comfort in that.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d dearly love to see us win the next ten national titles. But enjoy the ride, whatever comes.

College football is a beautiful, wonderful thing. Savor the experience, the elation of victory, the disappointment of loss, and yes, even the heartbreak.

• Options
    SilverLifeSilverLife Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

One game at a time is the only way. Focus on each opponent. There is no smooth sailing in the sec. Any conference team has the potential to upset. Full of great coaches and great players.

• Options
    SilverLifeSilverLife Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman
  • Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is an old and over-written story line. UGA has as much talent stockpiled as anyone in the country. It's time for them to prove it and for us to actually believe it. Why not the Dawgs? They ain't the Cubs or the Red Sox, you build a team worthy of a championship from the ground up, and IMO that's what Kirby has done. Stop fretting and writing about why it won't be and maybe it will be. Larry deserves that at least.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2021

" All the pieces are certainly in place for the Dawgs to win the whole thing,” countered Richard Lee Bohannon. “Now, it’s up to the coaches to have the team prepared each week and the players to execute the plays as designed.”

Bill, I think that quote sums my opinion up nicely.

Bama predicted to win the whole thing again this season after losing a record number of players to the NFL. Amazing. Just goes to show you what a REAL winning program that believes in itself looks like compared to the DAWGS who have all the pieces together for a Championship run...yet, who hasn't quite found that true belief and winning formula.

If we can't at least play for a NC this season after playing a cupcake SEC East schedule then what's it going to take to get us there? Does it require Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney to retire??

Seriously?

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

"...“all it takes is one wrong bounce of the ball or poor decision by a coach, or key injury..." Those things cannot be controlled.

I'm still hopeful, but, yep. And, I'm no statistician, but I lean on the side of the number of close calls piling up, to eventually start indicating the likelihood of a natty.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"It could happen". What prophetic words, nothing could say more.