Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: How should Georgia fans feel about Texas, Oklahoma possibly joining SEC?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: How should Georgia fans feel about Texas, Oklahoma possibly joining SEC?

Georgia could get some new conference mates as Texas and Oklahoma seem poised to join the SEC.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If those 2 join the sec, no matter how the divisions would be shuffled or if pods were created, it will be a lot more difficult to win the division/pod and the sec.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2021

Not only that, it would be very difficult, if not dang near impossible, for any team in the SEC to go undefeated. Our only chance of making the playoffs would be if the NCAA goes to a 12 team playoff format.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2021

Honestly, I thought - and still think - 14 is too many. We play one non-Auburn team from the west every year. Other than having a representative from each division meet in the conference championship game, the divisions are minimally linked as it is. I suppose this pod idea could address the issue - make the "divisions" smaller to allow more room in the schedule for more inter-division/pod games.

But I do think that adding another conference game to the schedule will incentivize every team to make their remaining games all cupcakes. This would ensure that the only games worth mentioning that any SEC team plays would be against other SEC teams. Every year. That one game a year for (at least some) SEC teams to go up against a tantalizing non-conference opponent would be gone. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but I think this is the exact opposite direction that the sport should be taken.

I know I'm skipping into fantasy land here, but I'd like to see a 12-team limit placed on every conference, which would ensure the kind of robust inter-divisional scheduling we used to have in the SEC (5:3 ratio of division : non-division). Additionally, P5 teams should be forbidden from scheduling FCS opponents, and must schedule at least one non-conference P5 opponent every year. I know, I know. It will never happen, for this reason and that and the one over there. I know this expansion business is 100% about money, which means it's all but guaranteed to happen once the details get ironed out. And I'm not even saying I wouldn't enjoy a 9-game SEC schedule in and of itself, with the addition of a couple more bluebloods. I just have a very different vision for where the sport should be heading and wanted to get it off my chest.