Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Despite ESPN ranking, Georgia still in great position at running back

SystemSystem Posts: 10,431 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageDespite ESPN ranking, Georgia still in great position at running back

Georgia's running back room should be very good this season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Year in and year out, the raw talent of our group of running backs is as elite as any program could hope for. Of course they need to be developed and coached up. As does the O-line. And the play-calling needs to be varied and unpredictable enough to keep the opposing D on its heels. But I love our running back room, past, present, and future... as would anyone with a brain. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

The flaw in their ratings is UGA always has more than one great back on its roster, hence the lack of “All American” and All Conference. Just not enough carries. I remember Chub getting 40+ carries once (vs Mizzou?) when Gurley got hurt, but I can’t think of anybody else coming close to that number.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Cook is the man at catching passes out of the back field. Zeus is a good between the tackles. Milton and McIntosh are complete studs. McIntosh on returns is money, that kid literally will make an NFL roster just on his returns, he better get most touches this year at return. Dajun Edwards is also a complete stud...he is the most underrated RB in all of college football. Our backfield is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Don't just watch the film, study it and you will see the aforementioned jumps off the screen. The only backfield that may rival this one was Chubb, Michel and Guirley eight years ago.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    1. McIntosh-most versatile IMO - Kick off returns, dependable catch out of the backfield(remember the Cincy game), run outside, run inside, yards after initial contact, good blend of speed and shake and bake. 2.White- good blend of power and speed, up the middle and outside, determination and toughness , if he gains a step this year after more healing on his knee(confidence in it) he should go in the second or3rd round next year. 3.Milton- best blend of speed, size and toughness, up the middle straight-line runner- one cut guy. Needs touches though. 4.Edwards- if you need a yard he's your guy, toughest of the bunch IMO in the trenches with some wiggle too, runs low to the ground behind his pads, the one guy I wouldn't want to tackle one-on-one . 5.Cook- Excellent catcher out of the backfield, tough one-on-one in the open field to get your hands on him, not hard to bring down once you do though (Don't want to see him run it up the gut-not that type guy. ) Throw their names in a hat and pick one and I probably wouldn't complain whose name came out but a couple are perhaps best in certain situations.
  • Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

You don't need to convince me regarding Dajun... I've been singing his praises since his first touch or two... dude has immense skill. And to think he's 3 or 4 down the line is such an embarrassment of riches. His time will come, however... if not this year, next year the Milton/Edwards tandem will get even more touches and blow people away. Meanwhile, the guys who get touches this year will be more than capable. There is NO way "running back" will hold us back, this year or in the foreseeable future. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True that they've had no shortage of great backs themselves. But it's not just the number of players at the position, it's also how they're used. Having one predominantly featured back at a major program tends to lead to the kind of recognition and notoriety that rotating more or less evenly among 3-5 guys simply doesn't produce. Besides, Bama is only one of 7 teams ranked ahead of Georgia on this list, so that argument doesn't do much to counter the point that the formula has produced a misleading result with respect to the number of quality runningbacks Georgia has signed and produced over the years.

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

We are in a new era of football, which probably started 4-5 years ago, that to improve the shelf life of RBs there needs to be an even distribution of carries. Of course when this happens, stats for both RB's tend to fall due to lack of individual repetition and thus fall off the all-american or all-sec lists.

But that is ok and I think the running backs in the room very much appreciate that so that they may have a longer NFL career if they have the tools and skillsets to make it. So I don't think ESPN took that into consideration and so you have a skewed rating across the board. They should reevaluate their rankings in my opinion based on this adopted philosophy.

James Cook and Zamir White are both great Rbs and their skill sets compliment each other. Elusive speed with ball catch-ability and a north/south hard nose runner who is going to bust the whole. I think any NFL team would be lucky to have a combination of that.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chubb's new contract shoots holes all through the ESPN ranking parameters. UGA's RB room stacks up against any room in the country. Would rather have depth than all my eggs in 1 basket.

• Options
    SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Do you read the crap you publish? Really? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

The teams that have won a NC all have had established RB1 and RB2. Kirby even had this the one year he played for the NC. The regular use of 3+ rb’s, does keep players happy but is not necessarily the best route to championship play because of the limited number of repetitions each player gets. It is also an indicator that there really is no outstanding rb.