Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN names Georgia football the biggest underachiever in college football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,493 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageESPN names Georgia football the biggest underachiever in college football

ESPN had some harsh words for the Georgia football program.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ha. Worse off than Michigan, Texas, Miami and TENNESSEE? Because having last won a title in the 90s makes such a world of difference in 2021. Ok. I know Texas' and Miami's were in the 2000s, but still, look where they are now. They have the capacity to win national championships, but haven't come close to doing much of anything in over a decade and a half. I'm not saying it lets Georgia off the hook - I'm as sick of this drought as anyone - but acting like there's some fundamental difference there is silly.

And if that's really the only thing that matters, how is it that we're so much more underachieving than a program with the resources and backyard talent of A&M, who haven't won it all in nearly a century.

I guess I'm naive (and here I am commenting away on it) but I would've thought/hoped clickbait season ended with pre-season practice.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

At least we are #1 and standing alone in the top tier in something from ESPN! Lol

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bulletin Board Material!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Change the narrative- WIN!

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Whenever ESPN passes gas, Dawgnation is there to smell it for us.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Alabama didn’t keep us from the playoffs in ‘18. The regular season loss to LSU did. Just as the regular season home loss to pathetic SC kept us from getting a spot in ‘19, despite losing to unbeaten LSU in the SECCG. Kirby hasn’t helped himself losing these games to underdogs in regular season.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@E_Roc I think the comparison has as much to do with overall resources as anything. Yes atm has lots of money and is in a hot bed of high school talent. They do not have as large a support staff as UGA has. Kirby has the biggest recruiting budget in all of college football. This has resulted in highly ranked recruiting classes, much higher than the other schools listed. In fact, last year Kirby had more talent on the roster than any other program. He also has the advantage of being realistically the only football power in the state.

With all of this it might be accurate to say Kirby is under achieving. The way to correct this is to win. I am still under the impression this is a year that seems to line up as the opportunity to change the narrative

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was thinking the same thing and I want a NATTY as much as any other Dawg fan. But, judging a programs success is very arbitrary, and we have WON..... A LOT. I get it, its all or nothing, but I wouldn't want to be any of those others teams.

Our day will come, WE will cross that finish line!

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True that!

They refer to that as a "Let Down", we have to get rid of that motto for the Dawgs!

1980 and losing that one game against an underachieving program, is our Achilles heal!

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't worry about the past. We have NO control over that. Let's focus on the future and what we need to do to get better. Now let's go catch that tiger by the tail, and give him a good whooping!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The only year that Bama has recently kept the Dawgs from winning it all since 1980 is 2017. 2nd and 26 stabbed all Dawgs fans in our hearts. It's more than past time to change the narrative that UGA is the best underachievers in college football.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

“I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.”- Walt Disney

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need TENACITY team wide just like 2017. All in no matter what to the end. GO DAWGS. 😎

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And rittenberg is alone at the top of the list as the biggest underachiever in sports reporting history..way to go Adam, you're #1 also!

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm tired of the negative stuff from ESPN. I tune them out until they broadcast SEC games. Then I sync with the radio to avoid the ridiculous stuff they talk about.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So because we haven't gotten past the best coach/dynasty in the modern era we're a bust? GTFOH.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

I read the article and What Conner failed to mention is this word for word:

"It's a tough deal, but I think Georgia's the best job in the country, period."

Most coaches would line up to take Smart's job, if available. Georgia is the flagship program in a top talent-producing state, located barely an hour from the Atlanta recruiting hub. Other than LSU, no SEC power is better positioned to dominate a region in recruiting, as Georgia Tech hasn't consistently been a threat despite some stretches of success. Georgia offers strong academics, a fun college town and a strong tradition of producing NFL players.

Then he mentions all the schools surrounding Ga have won a NC except them even with the better resources.

So in reality it’s Connor who is taking the article out of context. By putting this one quote in “Georgia’s failure to win a title puts the program in a tier of its own,” Rittenberg wrote.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

There's no doubt that every real fan is tired of coming up short every year (for whatever reason/excuse you want to give it...yadayadayada...) The Dawgs DO need to produce better results. One NC in 40 years ain't cutting it, but I will say this....I wouldn't trade Kirby for almost any other coach out there. I'll be a diehard Dawg fan until I die, and I don't agree with any kind of comparison that puts us in the same tier as Rocky Top! If Smart doesn't produce within the next few years then I may change my tune, but for now I am behind Smart and his program 100% (even though I may not agree with everything Kirby does).

We need to get over the Bama curse and execute like a winning program. No excuses...there IS a LOT riding on this season.