Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What comes next for Georgia football at ‘X’ receiver without Arik Gilbert

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageWhat comes next for Georgia football at ‘X’ receiver without Arik Gilbert

ATHENS — Georgia football continued to develop the next men up at the ‘X’ receiver position on Saturday with Arik Gilbert no longer practicing with the team.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was convinced Gilbert would be a limited option early in the season. There are receiver's who've been in the system for going on two years now, and they have too much talent and experience to be replaced by a new player in the first game.

Wishing Gilbert the best.

GOOOODAWGS!

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we have some of the best receivers in the country. Dawgs will be just fine with all of that talent. I'm not worried!

GO DAWGS!

BEAT CLEMSON!

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

It will work itself out. My guess is competition was stiffer than anticipated and maybe they weren't using him as he expected.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

I've been high on MRJ from the get-go... great routes, big body/radius, soft hands, blocks well... glad to see he's bringing it and could be a huge factor in the passing game. And BTW, don't sleep on Fitz, Goede and Seither at TE... that's another deep room. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dawgs will be just fine with all of that talent. I'm not worried! - Silver_Britches

Yeah. As long as all that talent is healthy enough to play. Kirby better back off a little at practice, so we can field a team in 3 weeks. We better pray we don’t have to field yesterday’s offense in Charlotte...

• Options
    4eva_a_DAWG4eva_a_DAWG Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

I hope for the best with AG, but it's starting to sound like he has issues everywhere he goes. Hope this wasn’t a wasted transfer decision and he can come back and show everybody the the real get down to business ball player that he can be.

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Jacksaint is the real deal and AD is a freshman that will make an impact. These two young men are completely different and there is a role for both. I don't know how Marcus grades out on his blocking but as for his route running, ability to high point the ball and his soft hands, he's the best on the team following Pickens.

I think Gilbert is finding it very difficult to entrench himself ahead of those 2, especially Jacksaint. Gilbert is very talented but his special talents were coming from the tightend position. I think he is a very good talented receiver but he can't dominate the matchups on the outside like he does on the interior. Problem there is that our tightend room is stacked with talent too. Sure he could probably move inside and be the main go to guy on the interior but what happens with Washington and Bowers? Washington has already proved himself worthy of the starters role last season as a freshman. Watch what I'm telling you, Bowers is a generational talent at tightend. It may not pan out that way for him this year but eventually he will leave the Dawgs one of 2 ways, either the best TE to ever play for the Georgia Bulldogs or the best TE to ever play for some other University. Darnells time is now with Bowers pushing him all the way. JMO!

If we can get everyone healthy and keep them healthy, Todd Monken has all the weapons to make him look like a genius. If all the stars line up for Georgia this year, Monken will be hired away. If that happens, Kirby has his replacement already on staff.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We've got plenty of offensive weapons besides Gilbert, and it sounds like he wasn't going to be ready to go Day 1 at the 'X' position anyway. As long as he's ready later in the season and in the playoffs I'd be happy.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gilbert will figure out that it is a team and find his role. Next year he will have a primary role if he does his work this year. I am sure he will be in midseason form well before Oct. 30. The more he practices the bigger his role will be. It is on him. WR depth is a concern but UGA has multiple players they can use in the slot in Bowers, Cook and McIntosh. Provided there are no more injuries UGA will get plenty of production out of the WR position to go with the expected production from the slot, TE and RB's.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

People keep talking here as if Gilbert's problems and issues are related to football. At this point, I believe it's just as Kirby described it, Gilbert has "some personal issues" to deal with and I don't believe they have anything to do with how he performed in practice or who was doing better than him. I think the kid has some mental health stuff to figure out.

But as much as I love the Dawgs -- and I love them very much -- Gilbert's status reminds me of the woes of my favorite NFL team, the Dallas Cowboys and as Stephen A. Smith says about them, "it's ALWAYS something." That's how I feel about the Dawgs; every year, SOMETHING always happens -- whether on or off the field -- to hold us back from our ultimate goal.

2018 NC Game -- We lose on the last play of the game to the back up QB due to a busted assignment by veteran defensive backs

2018 SEC Championship Game -- We blow a 21-point lead playing, again, against the backup quarterback

2019 -- Jake Fromm regresses, a key injury to our star receiver and running back and the (unexpected) rise of LSU lead to an SEC Championship loss

2020 -- Prized transfer QB Jamie Newman unexpectedly quits the team before the season even starts

2021 -- Star receiver George Pickens tears ACL in Spring Practice; star transfer Arik Gilbert is a head case; Who knows what else?????