Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Is Mark Fox Doing A Good Enough Job?

LudadawgLudadawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

The announcement that UGA Basketball had 2 first team ALL-SEC players begs the question: Did Mark Fox underachieve with the talent on hand? 2 players does not a team make, but there have been examples of teams doing quite well riding the coattails of 1 star, let alone 2. I know many of you (us) view basketball season as a distraction to hold us from the bowl game to spring practice, but I imagine we all would like to see the basketball team play better. Is the rest of the team just that bad, or did Mark Fox underachieve this year?

Comments

• Options
    Pete1975Pete1975 Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Mark Fox has done a pretty good job with the players he has. Just keeping it real! JJ Frazier and Yante Maten are good players but they're not great. It just so happens that they are the best players Georgias got.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well looking through Georgia basketball history, Fox is second only to Durham which anyone who had the Human Highlight reel would be first. Fox has just had some bad breaks. Just like Bowdon had at FSU when he had all the wide right and left field goals against Miami. Fox is a great man and coach. I think next year will be a great year for him and the program

• Options
    LudadawgLudadawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

@dbrown7494 said:
    Well looking through Georgia basketball history, Fox is second only to Durham which anyone who had the Human Highlight reel would be first. Fox has just had some bad breaks. Just like Bowdon had at FSU when he had all the wide right and left field goals against Miami. Fox is a great man and coach. I think next year will be a great year for him and the program

Do you think it is sad that a coach with only 2 NCAA tournament appearances and 0 NCAA tournament wins is considered the 2nd best coach in UGA history?

• Options
    Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA doesn't have star talent. Like someone said above, Fazier and Maten are good players but they are not top notch talent so I'm not sure what UGA's Basketball fans are expecting. I personally think Fox has done fairly well with the talent he has.... He does need to recruit better but maybe he is doing the best he can with the support he has from McGarity.

• Options
    RuMillsRuMills Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Derek Ogbeide is becoming a ferocious player and improving offensively. That gives me a some hope for the future. I just want Fox to create a team identity. He's had enough time to establish that. There are bits and pieces of talent, but they don't fit together well. It's like an island of misfit basketball toys. If we're going to be a defensive team, let's play tough and set hard screens. If we're going to be fast, let's get out in transition and live with the turnovers and lack of defense at times. But let's pick a philosophy and knock off some strong teams with it. I'm happy that J.J. finished the season strong after a rough 1st half of the season. At least there's a tiny spark of belief that next year's team could make the tourney.

• Options

@Ludadawg said:
    Do you think it is sad that a coach with only 2 NCAA tournament appearances and 0 NCAA tournament wins is considered the 2nd best coach in UGA history?

He didn't have much to work with when he first got to Georgia. It has taken him time to build up a program for him. Georgia has never been a basketball school and that's just the facts.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree, Fox has not had the facilities or the strong basketball tradition to aid him. Recruiting needs to improve, IMO. We need som one like the Human Highlight Reel on staff to help in recruiting.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To answer the OP's question .... No

This wasn't his 1st head coaching job, so the lack of Contacts excuse is thin at best. 2nd, the state of Georgia is Oakes with talent. There is no excuse for not recruiting better.

• Options

@BamaDawg said:
    To answer the OP's question .... No

This wasn't his 1st head coaching job, so the lack of Contacts excuse is thin at best. 2nd, the state of Georgia is Oakes with talent. There is no excuse for not recruiting better.

You know how hard it is to walk into a 5stars house and tell him to come to Georgia after Duke and Kentucky has just left. Yeah that is fighting uphill battle, I'm pretty sure. Also Fox coach out west not in the south. So very few connection to schools in the south. Also facilities and very little talent when he got there didn't help him much

• Options

@dbrown7494 said:

You know how hard it is to walk into a 5stars house and tell him to come to Georgia after Duke and Kentucky has just left. Yeah that is fighting uphill battle, I'm pretty sure. Also Fox coach out west not in the south. So very few connection to schools in the south. Also facilities and very little talent when he got there didn't help him much

To answer your question, no I don't know how hard it is. I never said it was easy or that he has to get 5 stars. But let's look at this year. He had 2 players make 1st team all SEC ( the San as Kentucky)and we are still struggling to make the tourney. That is 1/4 of the All SEC team. As with any sport, you don't have to get just 5 stars to win, and I never thought he would have to beat Ky and Duke consistently to be good. But it is very, very, similar to the mark richt era, doing less with more.

• Options
    SnoopDawgSnoopDawg Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No!

Some say "We're not a basketball school!"
    We will never Win **anything **with Mark Fox coaching Georgia!
    He can't recruit his home state. He can't recruit AAU players.
    Simplify the big picture, and just look at what the SEC East Schools are doing with their B Ball programs.
    We are going nowhere.

• Options

@SnoopDawg said:
    No!

Some say "We're not a basketball school!"
    We will never Win **anything **with Mark Fox coaching Georgia!
    He can't recruit his home state. He can't recruit AAU players.
    Simplify the big picture, and just look at what the SEC East Schools are doing with their B Ball programs.
    We are going nowhere.

Finally something snoop and I agree on.......

• Options

I did say at first that Mark Fox was doing good with the players that he has. But watching Georgia not even make it to the big dance and then watching South Carolina beat a team like Duke. Seriously makes you wonder.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My question is, "have we had the talent to win big?" I'm wondering if the problem lies in recruiting. If we are struggling to recruit well, is it because of our facilities and/or our lack of winning--or both? I realize this could be about the coach's failure to get his team ready to play. It is just hard to put it all on him with the shortcomings we have as a basketball school.

• Options

I'm not putting coach Fox down at all, but it does make you wonder what the heck is going on.