Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mind game: How Georgia coach Kirby Smart handles magnitude of Clemson opener, title expectations

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageMind game: How Georgia coach Kirby Smart handles magnitude of Clemson opener, title expectations

ATHENS — Kirby Smart doesn’t listen to the outside noise any more than he stops to smell the roses.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok I get all of that. But make no mistake about it. If Georgia is ever going to get over the “hump” of real, or not so real, perceptions surrounding this program, this is the type game we have to win! Period! A win here changes everything Go Dawgs! 😘❤️😘

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol! Don’t know where 😘❤️😘 came from! Guess I thought I was texting my wife! 🤣🤣🤣 Go Dawgs!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All teams want to win. Some know they might have a chance to win all the marbles. The big mind game is focusing on the present. As in what you're doing every day to improve. As in remembering the team you're facing in your next game whether it's Alabama or South Carolina can and will beat you if you don't beat them in your preparation and on the field of play.

Nick Saban seems to have mastered the championship vision coupled with a there's always room to improve mentality better than anyone, especially as coupled with a never give up, always keep fighting, we can still win this game even though we're way behind point of view. Somehow he conveys all that to his players and gets of of them to buy in over and over and over and over.

Does Kirby know how to do the same? We'll find out over time.

I don't know what Vince Dooley's mindset was in 1980 nor his team's. Everyone knew Herschel Walker was a player who elevated any team and could carry the day. Still, the games were very hard fought. Some we almost lost, but somehow managed to win. The Dawgs weren't highly ranked but continued to win. In real time it was the ultimate one game at a time season. Only looking back does it look magical.

At lot of this stuff looks obvious and simple to me, and probably to you. My guess is most, maybe all, coaches get it. Some get it but don't have the Jimmys and Joes to pull it off. There may be some luck involved. Still, somehow Saban manages to pull it off far too often for it to be just luck.

My guess is Kirby has the recipe. Is he as good a cook as Nick?

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" It has to be coming. If it’s not coming then what are we doing?” -- Kirby Smart on winning a national championship."

Amen to that! Glad to hear him say it.

This year is not do or die for Kirby, but the pressure is definitely ON.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A couple of thoughts. Dang, those are some strong statistics for all the Kirby doubters.... the four straight seasons of top 5 rankings vs 3 in program history prior to smart. Also, his 4-0 against non-confrence top 10 teams is huge. Secondly, I'm pretty sure clemsons 10 wins vs SEC opponents includes two narrow wins against SEC west teams (Auburn and A&M) as well as whipping up on a weak a$$ South Carolina the past decade. Not that impressive if you ask me.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

KIrby's standout strengths as HC include recruiting (players and staff), culture building, and keeping things focused in the lead-up to games. He's getting better (as a relatively new HC should) at player development across all positions, empowering his assistants, and game time decision-making. This year and the next few should be where he puts it all together and shows his full potential. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby sounds so very much like Saban unfortunately with less authority and seemingly with less authentic. That of course is OK. What one does not hear from Saban or the Alabama players is talk about a national championship. They seem to be or at least publicly focused on what they need to accomplish today to become the best players they can be.