Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia, Clemson dealing with potential COVID issues, Dabo Swinney mum on star defender’s status

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia, Clemson dealing with potential COVID issues, Dabo Swinney mum on star defender’s status

ATHENS — Kirby Smart and Dabo Swinney have their hands full with the typical unknowns that accompany opening games.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm guessing we won't know about any availability isues on our side until Saturday. Can't wait for it to get here; Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, this was only slightly helpful. No updated information from UGA at all, and only a non-answer from Clemson. No explanation from Mike as to why he maintains that "as many as seven" UGA players could be affected. From my understanding of Courson's duties, although he works directly with rehabilitating players, he routinely has access to, and interacts with, ALL UGA athletes and staff at some point. And, he directly oversees UGA's COVID protocols. So potentially, countless players and staff could be at risk for contact tracing. Potentially. Also, what this story does not point out, but should, is that under SEC COVID guidelines, any fully vaccinated player or staffer who is exposed to an infected person but shows no symptoms, is not required to quarantine. So those same seven players who Mike believes could "potentially" be affected and held out of the game, could also "potentially" be cleared to participate, if they are fully vaccinated and show no symptoms.

• Options
    Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Mike's numbers are simply a matter of doing math. 85 scholarship athletes, over 90% vaccinated... means 7-8 guys are not vaccinated.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior

You could always stop giving money. You are willingly giving that money, they don’t owe you anything and it is against HIPPA to tell anyone of someone’s medical status you idiot!

• Options
    CapeCawdDogCapeCawdDog Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

Quick clarification with apologies for veering a little off the "main thing": HIPPA's "Privacy Rule" only applies to “covered entities” defined by law as health plans, health care clearinghouses, and any health care provider who transmits health information in electronic form in connection with certain limited transactions.

So, " ... it is against HIPPA to tell anyone of someone’s medical status ..." is too broad a take but also true in a very limited sense - your doctor, your health plan and the clearinghouses that process your medical claims have to protect the privacy of your medical information.

If you tell your neighbor you're having gall bladder surgery and they post that info on FB, implying that it was only a matter of time since you love your fried food morning, noon and night, they have not violated your HIPPA privacy protections. If your doctor does it, s/he has done so.

That's why Kirby can give medical updates on an athlete. There may be some waivers signed behind the scenes & there certainly is a lot of respect for the athlete's privacy; recall the JTD medical "updates" from last year and how frustrated we were with that situation. But that's not because of HIPPA; it's basic human respect given by a coach to an athlete and a coach being dodgy with information that could benefit an opponent.

Someone in another thread raised the question of how Ron Courson's Covid status could have "legally" got out to the public. I'll leave it to my fellow Dawgs on the board to opine about that but I don't think a HIPPA violation was involved.

I'm a Dawg fan for a lot of reasons, one being the way the GA FB organization runs a tight ship & is not going to embarrass me like ... well, use your imagination!

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That seven, I imagine, comes from the math of having 90% vaccinated. It comes right after that bit.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you think for one minute that you are owed medical secrets about a player and his health status, you are dead wrong. If and when the status of a player is shared with the public is when it happens. So gripe and complain it will make no difference.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just a curiosity question here. I read that India is having fantastic results both in Treatment and Prevention of COVID using a stepped down, diluted, watered down what ever language is best of the drug Ivermectin. A drug normally used to treat horses. But here in our country it’s Illegal. Why ?? Now I fully understand that some people have died, others have gotten Critically I’ll almost to death using the full strength animal type of this drug. I’m sorry I didn’t copy that article so I could paste it here. I read it about a week or more ago. The data was pretty impressive. So I can’t help but wonder Why it’s illegal for use against COVID here ?? Now call me Paranoid Floyd but is this a case of Big Pharma making Big $$$$ and not wanting the Much More readily available and Cheaper Ivermectin not to be used ?? After it’s stepped down for human use of course. And it was pretty troubling that numerous FDA scientist including one of their top ones with a tenure of 20 years resigned when the President and the CDC gave the green light to the most recent type of booster vaccine without giving the FDA an opportunity for analysis and input on the new drug. I’m gonna be totally honest I don’t know Who or What to believe any more except the Holy Bible and it’s contents !! One day we’re told one thing the next day something totally different. And when it comes to figures that are so high in billions of $$$ that their very close to the trillions $$$ mark would SOME people in very high positions of Knowledge & Authority be willing to sell out ?? To me the answer is a resounding YES !! Because history shows us that Many people, Many times have sold out for much, much less. One sold out over two thousand years ago for thirty pieces of silver……….